Photo
- - - - -

Need help with MacPup (a version of Puppy)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 10:38 PM

What I want to know is :

Is there a way to make an icon (or something similar) for the desktop so I can click it to run a .tar file I download?

I tried this with seamonkey. I had downloaded the .tar file off of the internet (because I want to be able to do this with other tars and not always use Puppy Package Manager to find Puppy programs), extracted it to a location (/root/my-applications) and found the right file to make it run but I couldn't figure out how to make that file run seamonkey unless I run it within the program folder itself - in other words, I'd like some icon or something to enable me to run it without having to go into the program folder itself and click it there every time - can I put an icon or a link to this file on the desktop so I can run it from there?

There must be a way (I presume), but how? Does anyone know how to do this? If there's a way, please spell out the instructions - I'm seeking help here because I looked hard and long on Google and found nothing but instructions which didn't work (I assume it was the instructions which I found that were incorrect and not that it's because there's no way to do this).

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Also, if anyone has a good recommend for a clipboard program, I can use one. Puppy Package Manager only had 2 and both sucked, and they were : Glipper Clipboard Manager, and Xclipboard.

#2 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 12:18 AM

maybe a shell script? assuming you can run said files from a shell anyways..

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!