Photo
- - - - -

Interfacing a dumb terminal with Windows (XP)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ozlo

ozlo

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 01:05 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could go about setting up a dumb terminal on Windows XP, connected via serial port?
Here's what I'm after -- I found my old (1994?) Sharp Zaurus ZR-3000 organizer. It doesn't even have a modem, but what it does have is a serial cable and terminal application (supports VT100 and tty). I figured at least it might be neat to run it as a terminal where I can connect via SSH to some other boxes. Ideally I would like to see if I could redirect the input/output of putty to the serial port, but I have not had any luck with that thus far. I have redirected some simple output to the serial port -- i.e. "echo hello world > com1" but it's showing up like extended ASCII and other characters on the Zaurus screen.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I could properly interface this to a Windows machine? Or maybe other suggestions as to what I could use this for. It does have and IRda port I might be able to make use of but I still don't see it being practical to use for anything more than a terminal.

#2 mungewell

mungewell

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 376 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

Windows by itself does not support serial terminals, you would have to run an additional server to accept the incoming connections. You could do this with Cygwin and Getty. This will get you a text bash (or other) shell running on the host Windows machine in which you can run unix like commands.

Another option for you is to bring up a TCP/IP connection between the two machines. This is rather slow/quirky but does work. You can run telnet, ftp, ssh, vnc, etc over such a link. A direct link between the two machines would use SLIP or PPP, which can be started via DIP/PPPD on a Linux machine or under Windows 'PC Connections/Direct Connection'.

Here's a link to a how-to which might give you some ideas on how to get started:
http://handhelds.org...wto/wince-link/

Mungewell.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!