• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Ouroboros

Ouroboros

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 10:53 AM

I have an Eris and I have to say its bloody magical. The pdanet application makes it so I have a reliable connection almost anywhere, development is a breeze, have the phone plugged in while working in eclipse and your software pops right up on the phone.
What advantages does rooting provide, would I risk losing my service? Swype is a pretty badass app BTW..

#22 Enmaku

Enmaku

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:29 AM

Anyone know of a good skype app that actually works? I tried Fring but the stupid thing won't make a skypeout call and people seem to be saying it's a common problem...

#23 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:28 PM

I have an Eris and I have to say its bloody magical. The pdanet application makes it so I have a reliable connection almost anywhere, development is a breeze, have the phone plugged in while working in eclipse and your software pops right up on the phone.
What advantages does rooting provide, would I risk losing my service? Swype is a pretty badass app BTW..

you could just run the real programs, like if you root it theres no need for a skype "app" you could just run skype

#24 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:32 AM

you could just run the real programs, like if you root it theres no need for a skype "app" you could just run skype

Not true. Rooting allows you to take full control over the phone, treating the phone as a full computer. It allows you to tether. It gives you access to development apps that aren't shipped on stock phones. It allows you to run custom firmware. Rooting allows you to change the way Android looks. Change the theme, the bootloader, the on-screen keyboard, etc. You can also connect to an OpenVPN network if the firmware supports it.

#25 Ouroboros

Ouroboros

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

Not true. Rooting allows you to take full control over the phone, treating the phone as a full computer. It allows you to tether. It gives you access to development apps that aren't shipped on stock phones. It allows you to run custom firmware. Rooting allows you to change the way Android looks. Change the theme, the bootloader, the on-screen keyboard, etc. You can also connect to an OpenVPN network if the firmware supports it.

Sounds schnazzy, I have Verizon as a service provider, would I loose my cellphone/dataplan service if I upgrade and root, or is that something hardware level?

#26 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

I just got an email from Sprint where I am a...shit forget what they call it...VIP, Preferred, whatever...customer. I get discounts and stuff but they also hook me up with cool offers. They are going to introduce this new Android Phone...4G...The offer is going to let me upgrade my phone early which would save me about a year before I otherwise would be allowed.

What do you guys think?

#27 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 09:10 PM

Sounds schnazzy, I have Verizon as a service provider, would I loose my cellphone/dataplan service if I upgrade and root, or is that something hardware level?

Nah, you won't lose service at all. Rooting doesn't deal with the service you receive from your carrier; it just puts you in control of your device.

I just got an email from Sprint where I am a...shit forget what they call it...VIP, Preferred, whatever...customer. I get discounts and stuff but they also hook me up with cool offers. They are going to introduce this new Android Phone...4G...The offer is going to let me upgrade my phone early which would save me about a year before I otherwise would be allowed.

What do you guys think?

I would definitely go for their new EVO phone. I've been looking at it somewhat today and I'm impressed with what I see.

#28 Ouroboros

Ouroboros

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 01:33 AM

Thanks for the info! After I do some more research into Android's os and the eris' hardware I'm definatly rooting this! Thinking I might get a root level app written to switch on the gps and email its location every day... :biggrin: lots of fun possibilities!

#29 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

What do you guys think?

I think that device looks absolutely amazing on paper, but if I were you I would wait until the general public has had a month or two to kick it around a bit in the real world.

Another good reason to be prudent: I don't know how much you're factoring that big, fat 4G datapipe into your decision, but Sprint seems very slow about rolling out their WiMAX network. Up to this point, only a few small areas of major markets reportedly are covered. How long will it take a company like Sprint to implement this new technology on a nationwide scale? Another question is how much they're going to charge for this new broadband service. Of course the phone will work on 3G just like any other (and will certainly drop back to 3G during gaps in the 4G coverage), but they might make you pay out the ass to take advantage of all those sweet high-bandwidth features.

If they're letting you upgrade early, I'd say hold out as long as you can while keeping a critical eye on all the tech blogs. Once you're sure it's the right decision, jump on it.

Edited by Colonel Panic, 25 March 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#30 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 11:52 PM

What do you guys think?

I think that device looks absolutely amazing on paper, but if I were you I would wait until the general public has had a month or two to kick it around a bit in the real world.

Another good reason to be prudent: I don't know how much you're factoring that big, fat 4G datapipe into your decision, but Sprint seems very slow about rolling out their WiMAX network. Up to this point, only a few small areas of major markets reportedly are covered. How long will it take a company like Sprint to implement this new technology on a nationwide scale? Another question is how much they're going to charge for this new broadband service. Of course the phone will work on 3G just like any other (and will certainly drop back to 3G during gaps in the 4G coverage), but they might make you pay out the ass to take advantage of all those sweet high-bandwidth features.

If they're letting you upgrade early, I'd say hold out as long as you can while keeping a critical eye on all the tech blogs. Once you're sure it's the right decision, jump on it.

Great advice!

Sprint when I moved to the Bay area a few years back had some terrible reception in what is called the "East Bay." They've improved substantially, but if they follow the same game plan with 4G it could be many years before I reap the full benefit. I wasn't able to find a preliminary map but before launch I'm sure they'll have some brochure that will show coverage. But the overriding pull for me is that I'll be able to get an Android phone without spending more than I'm comfortable spending without the upgrade deal.

#31 barcode_

barcode_

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:06 PM

Well ADB works but I get the dreaded $ and su does not get me a # :p

That's OK, for most of what I want to do I don't really think I'll need root. I've got HTC Sync set up so I can install from APK files and I don't really feel like installing a whole new OS on this thing, at least not the buggy leaked 2.1 that those folks are working with. I'll just be happy with the ability to develop simple Apps that meet my needs and install them :)

Thanks!

I am an Android user.

#32 haxin

haxin

Will I break 10 posts?

• Banned
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

this is mostly accurate. What rooting essentially does is give you Super User permissions. that means yes that you are able to read/write to previously restricted directories and files on the device. this way you can uninstall system apps like the crap apps/bloatware from the carriers. you can modify build properties, make certain kernel tweaks, and more. what rooting alone DOES NOT allow you to do is flash custom kernels or ROM versions or bootloaders or recovery images or radio versions. depending on the device will depend on what youre able to do with unlocking bootloaders or flashing kernels or ROMs and recoveries.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!