• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

I don't know where you think you can get 17 mbps on a mobile device, but as far as I know there are no companies in the US that offer that kind of service for anywhere near what you're paying for a data plan from a cell provider.

#22 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

I'm glad to see technology progressing in this field. Tablets have long been a niche market. Apple will hopefully open up the tablet market as they have done with the media player market. That said, I'd be tempted to buy one if it could run third-party apps in the background. It'd be really nice to have Pandora in the background while reading an ebook. If I ever get a tablet, it'll probably be running Android.

Before anyone starts trying to explain to me that the reason why Apple doesn't allow third-party apps to go into the background is because of battery life, let me explain why that argument is silly. Who would buy Apple products and not be near any type of power source at least once per day? The power source could be: computer, wall outlet, or car. I highly doubt there is a single person in today's society that would buy an iPad and not be near a power source at least once per day. Yes, it can be annoying to have to plug in your electronic device; but it's completely doable. The argument of backgrounding apps draining the battery is moot.

not really the apple machines are usually horrible i mean for $2000 you can get a quadcore i7 laptop or you can get the apple dualcore one. i mean your only paying like $500 for macosx on that deal. + i wasnt even tlaking about their computers i was talking about their phones iphone, iphone 3g, iphone 3gs, considering all of them are slower than the first 3g (kaiser), and thats in the special $829 ipad or w.e. for that price could get a snapdragon and have like 17mbps on a totally overpriced unlocked phone. the only nice thing is alot of storage and it probably has the majority of the system ram for video which is probably why a majority of the applications are useless guis, like being able to shake the iphone and have it google restaurants in your area using the gps. they probably dont want programs in the background because it would probably be pretty obviously slower if you ran any "intensive" program

I used to own an iPhone 3G. I loved it and still do. It's a great, solid product.

By the way, why is it that when I reply to you, I always mention how horrible your grammar is? Also, please don't criticize products you obviously know nothing about.

#23 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

Apple does spend a lot of time engineering great aesthetics and ergonomic designs. I mean most of their stuff looks damn cool, and is nice to use. People need to get paid to design it.

EDIT: look at how much an aesthetically designed Dell costs, too.

Edited by tekio, 28 January 2010 - 08:27 PM.

#24 MrGreggie

MrGreggie

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:54 PM

The whole app store concept might work for the iPhone, but doesn't anybody else find the level of control that Apple has with this device downright scary? You are buying a device that is supposed to be a tablet "computer", but you technically cannot run a single app on it unless Apples says you can. On top of that it's an underpowered, overpriced, non multitasking piece of marketing.

A netbook for $200 less has TONS more functionality. It's not a horrible device, but people are making it out to be far more powerful/revolutionary/amazing than it actually is.

#25 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

I don't know where you think you can get 17 mbps on a mobile device, but as far as I know there are no companies in the US that offer that kind of service for anywhere near what you're paying for a data plan from a cell provider.

was just pointing out the apple lines of phones is nothing special, i mean the iphone came out after the htc kaiser yet the kaiser is faster/more powerfull than the 3gs, being what 3 times faster than the iphone3g being the bare minimum considered 3g at only 2x the speed of edge/iphone making the 3gs like 6x times faster than the iphone/edge where the kaiser is 18x faster. just saying if the networking and w.e. isnt top of the line and thats their SELLING POINT, the processor know they wont tell you about that which probably means its not powerfull, accept now with the ipad they are saying its superfast/powerfull when if i had to guess its slower than a single core snapdragon/about the same as your average real smartphone you know where you can run your own programs boot your different operating systems/flash your roms w.e. all it is to me is a overly slow smartbook, which means it will probably be overly "popular" and everyone that doesnt know anything about smartbooks/netbooks will want it.

edit: then again i want functionality over aesthetics, i mean i can play nes/snes/gameboy/gameboycolor/gameboy advanced and touch screen doesnt allow multitouch i mean it does but its the same as my touchpad in netbook o it can sense the difference in 1/2/3 fingers and when you spread your fingers apart, but you cant press 3-5 keys at once it wont do anything

Edited by dinscurge, 28 January 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#26 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 12:49 AM

The whole app store concept might work for the iPhone, but doesn't anybody else find the level of control that Apple has with this device downright scary? You are buying a device that is supposed to be a tablet "computer", but you technically cannot run a single app on it unless Apples says you can. On top of that it's an underpowered, overpriced, non multitasking piece of marketing.

A netbook for $200 less has TONS more functionality. It's not a horrible device, but people are making it out to be far more powerful/revolutionary/amazing than it actually is.

Yep, I think the only market for this device is Apple Fanboys. Really, the only advantage I can see over my iPhone is e-reading and iWorks functionality. Perhaps I'm missing something, but that just isn't enough to make me want to buy it. PDF's, and my netbook for MS Office or open office and even $499.00 in my pocket is a whole lot better. If the device had full OSX functionality I'd care a lot more about it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!