• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

"Vonage is committed to helping during difficult times. In the wake of the recent devastating earthquake in Haiti, Vonage is currently offering free international dialing to Haiti for all U.S. callers. Dial 800-809-2503 and follow the instructions to place a free 10-min call. We encourage you to pass this Vonage toll-free number along to non-Vonage customers who want to call Haiti.

Remember, calls to Haiti are free only if you use this toll-free number to place the call. If you dial from your home phone without using the 800 number, you’ll incur standard long-distance charges. Please note that due to infrastructure limitations in Haiti, you may experience difficulty reaching your party successfully. This free calling service to Haiti may be discontinued at any time."

You do not have to be a Vonage subscriber!

#2 jeremy_

jeremy_

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

Who the hell are you going to be able to call?
I feel kinda bad for wanting to exploit this...

#3 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 07:05 PM

What the hell are you going to be able to call?

There, I fixed it!

(from the CIA world factbook)

general assessment: telecommunications infrastructure is among the least developed in Latin America and the Caribbean; domestic facilities barely adequate; international facilities slightly better; mobile-cellular telephone services are expanding rapidly due, in part, to the introduction of low-cost GSM phones in 2006
domestic: coaxial cable and microwave radio relay trunk service
international: country code - 509; satellite earth station - 1 Intelsat (Atlantic Ocean)

I was calling Haiti a couple of days ago with some friends, and the first number we tried hit not a digital, but an electronic switch. Chance? Sure, but if we found an electronic switch without even trying, imagine what you can find with a bit of effort.

That reminds me, I was using a certain major carrier to place the call, and the route they were using suped as soon as the call started to ring. I wonder if they took it upon themselves to fix that yet.

#4 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:47 PM

I was calling Haiti a couple of days ago with some friends, and the first number we tried hit not a digital, but an electronic switch. Chance? Sure, but if we found an electronic switch without even trying, imagine what you can find with a bit of effort.

That reminds me, I was using a certain major carrier to place the call, and the route they were using suped as soon as the call started to ring. I wonder if they took it upon themselves to fix that yet.

What kind of electronic switch? (I assume you mean non digital electronic, like a 1ESS or a 1EAX).

#5 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

BinRev veteran

• Members
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:24 PM

Right on the money. While we're on the topic, MCI's prepaid platform is giving away free calls to Haiti, but it's a miracle if you can actually get through.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!