• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gLi7cha

gLi7cha

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

Well, Here are the pix I promissed. But it seems as though the test are inconclusive due to a lack of drivers (or so I think). It comes with a mini-cd as you'll see in the pix, problem is that you can't put that in a macbook pro! lol.... And the other laptop is the EEEPC!! (no cd drive) gRRR! So I noticed that they have drivers on the site, but they're only the madwifi drivers, which I believe bt4 comes loaded with. So, Any help to move on from this point would be GRRRREAT! lol. Thanx in advance.

Attached Files

#2 defecto

defecto

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:37 PM

How much was it and where did you get it. Im thinking about buying one but im not sure if i should invest the money for it. I mean i would like to see how it works and what i can do with packet sniffing but its still up in the air for me.

Thanx for the pics

#3 gLi7cha

gLi7cha

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

How much was it and where did you get it. Im thinking about buying one but im not sure if i should invest the money for it. I mean i would like to see how it works and what i can do with packet sniffing but its still up in the air for me.

Thanx for the pics

About $70 w/ shipping. (But I also added the 9dBi ant.) Got it from: http://www.data-alli...00mW/Detail.bok

And I'm still working on the drivers. Once I get them up and working right I'm sure it'll be just fine. If not I'm SOL $70! lol. It comes with that mini-cd you see in the pix with the drivers on it, but go figure, between my mac and the EEEPC I can't load the cd lol. If I put it in the Mac I'm sure it'll get stuck. And the EEEPC doesn't have a cd-rom lol. ..... I've got an old dell 1100 in the closet I used for my unpatched xp test machine. It's got a cd-rom tray, guess I need to go break it out and see if I can pull those drivers off and put them on a jump drive lol. I'll keep everyone posted as things happen. If we can get the drivers to work right with 1000mW and a 9dBi gain antenna then we should be GOLDEN! lol.

-gLi7cha

#4 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:23 PM

Thanx for the pics

About $70 w/ shipping. (But I also added the 9dBi ant.) Got it from: http://www.data-alli...00mW/Detail.bok

And I'm still working on the drivers. Once I get them up and working right I'm sure it'll be just fine. If not I'm SOL $70! lol. It comes with that mini-cd you see in the pix with the drivers on it, but go figure, between my mac and the EEEPC I can't load the cd lol. If I put it in the Mac I'm sure it'll get stuck. And the EEEPC doesn't have a cd-rom lol. ..... I've got an old dell 1100 in the closet I used for my unpatched xp test machine. It's got a cd-rom tray, guess I need to go break it out and see if I can pull those drivers off and put them on a jump drive lol. I'll keep everyone posted as things happen. If we can get the drivers to work right with 1000mW and a 9dBi gain antenna then we should be GOLDEN! lol.

-gLi7cha

the downloads at the manufacturers website don't work? http://www.alfa.com....Category=105463

#5 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 12:07 AM

You really shouldn't bother with backtrack, especially with fairly recent hardware. Generally distros like that use fairly old kernels that are known stable and secure. You should install a fairly bleeding edge distro where you get up to date kernels because that's likely your best bet for quickly getting it supported without having to manually build your own kernels and drivers. The ralink support for their rt73 and other cards are actually fairly good within the kernel and I assume this chipset and ones similar to it are being worked on in the kernel as well.

#6 gLi7cha

gLi7cha

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 08:12 AM

Sh*t!! lol... I JUST wiped ubuntu 10 to put new bt4(f) on :-( damnit! ..... The card uses rt3070, i got the files needed from ralink: http://www.ralinktec...support.php?s=2 but I can't for the life of me install them. I'm just one of those "jump in and learn linux" guys.... But I've been using it on and off for over 10 years... Never really learned everything about it the way/order i should have. That's why I bought the EEEPC so I could have a dedicated *nix box that doesn't have to come off.... I have my mac for everything else now. ..... OK.... So, backtrack out (really?) :-( .... What else is good these days? i think I tried sidux, there was *buntu's, etc........... What about slackware? ..... Always wanted to check it out, but was always to intimidated. lol. I dunno, Any ideas are welcome, I just wanna get this damn card up now and see the results! lol

-gLi7cha

#7 gLi7cha

gLi7cha

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:13 PM

Ok then, it appears as though I'm just an idiot who doesn't deserve to use nix. Same files I already had.... Just can't figure out how to install them! lol... Tried to do make, and i think I'm doing it wrong..... Anyone know how to install/build things in linux? (sad, i know). Thanx.

-gLi7cha

#8 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 01:53 PM

Any distro will work, it's just a matter of how much work you want to do to get it working. If the card is supported in kernel or not well supported, you'll probably want a distro that rolls out kernels fairly often so that you can benefit from any changes to the driver. You can do all this yourself by manually upgrading kernels, but it may require upgrading other packages yourself or running a vulnerable system unless you are constantly looking for vulnerabilities in the software you run. Lastly, unless there is source code there that you need to build you most likely aren't going to be running make. If they are using a binary blob driver, which as far as I know they do unless they have open sourced everything, you simply need to drop it into the firmware directory or whatever it's called on linux. Off the top of my head I don't remember where it is but I'm sure it's on google or in some kind of documentation that comes with the driver.

#9 STRSHR

STRSHR

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

One vote for Fedora, the driver is for sure included in the RPMFusion repo, I've checked it. If you need assistance with the configuration I will gladly help you, just drop me a message. :)

P.S. Now saw the BT screenshots, I think it'll work, don't hurry to wipe it out. :)

Edited by STRSHR, 17 January 2010 - 12:09 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!