Just wait until you hear the price!

#2 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:08 PM

that does not seem too practical... i mean how much energy could you possibly absorb from a wifi signal?

#3 ~Total_Blackout~

~Total_Blackout~

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

that does not seem too practical... i mean how much energy could you possibly absorb from a wifi signal?

enough to charge a blackberry bold from "30% to full capacity in 9 minutes"
It may have took longer to charge the battery in the unit that charges the phone... I don't know

Edited by ~Total_Blackout~, 11 January 2010 - 11:00 PM.

#4 gLi7cha

gLi7cha

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 01:24 AM

Damn!!! Are these out yet??? Some one please let me know while I still got a few bucks to spend! lol.... I'll buy a few!

-gLi7cha

#5 Havoc

Havoc

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 923 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:33 PM

I heared 90 minutes not 9

#6 ~Total_Blackout~

~Total_Blackout~

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:46 PM

I heared 90 minutes not 9

Yeah that sounds more reasonable... either way I think this is sweet. IF then can embed the technology into the cell phone battery itself i think it will be revolutionary.

#7 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

from what i've read, this thing looks like basically an external battery that tries to charge using an antenna. given how much power wifi routers put out in their signal, i doubt it charges at any kind of practical rate. in fact here's a short article where the author is literally drooling all over it, but some basic math in the first few comments casts it in an entirely different light: http://www.ohgizmo.c.../#disqus_thread

it's an intriguing idea, but this sounds like it's just a scam. it might charge by wifi, but won't charge quickly enough to make a difference. i bet you'll have to plug it in physically to recharge it to a usable amount after you discharge it the first time.

#8 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:27 PM

thats true zandi. but dont forget in the cities there is much more wifi. it might be picking up from 5-20aps. it probably has a decant percent of captured energy i mean if i had it at the place where the mn meeting is where can pickup 20aps if it had 25% conversion it would be like 5watts, and 1watt would be enough to run a blackberry pretty much constantly as im fairly sure the battery lasts like 4-5hrs. its good technology just might not be the best implementation i mean you could have as many of those hooked up as you wanted so it would work guess it just depends on how small they can make it/efficiency.

#9 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

it might just be me, but whenever someone starts describing something as using "free energy" i immediately become skeptical. the idea sounds plausible, but i'd have to take a closer look before i'd call it anything more than impractical. i might take some time tomorrow to look for patents or do some math on it to see what i can find out anyways.

#10 ~Total_Blackout~

~Total_Blackout~

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

I wouldn't care if it look 7-8 hours to charge. If they can fit the technology into a standard oem size battery I don't think I would ever have to worry about charging my phone. The majority of the time I am able to use my phone all day on a single charge. I have wifi at my house so its almost as if I can forget about having to plug in my phone at night. Not to mention that I'm around a hotspot most of my day as well.

#11 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

it's an intriguing idea, but this sounds like it's just a scam. it might charge by wifi, but won't charge quickly enough to make a difference. i bet you'll have to plug it in physically to recharge it to a usable amount after you discharge it the first time.

I'm betting it's really an induction charger and the "over wifi" claim is bullshit marketing exaggeration.

#12 ozlo

ozlo

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

First there was wardialing, then came wardriving, and now in 2010 there will be warcharging.
People will be sitting around with banks of batteries hooked up to Cantennas and WiFi parabolic reflectors, or walking/driving through the city to leech free electricity.

Well, we can always dream!

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!