Photo
- - - - -

8Bit Underground Blog/Forums

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lucidphreak

lucidphreak

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

Greetings..

Just wanted to post a link (hopefully in the appropriate section) to my forum/blog which unfortunately is much smaller than BINREV, but I think we have a lot of common subject matter.

The 8-Bit Underground is all about the discussion of the 80's underground scene as witnessed from machines such as Atari, Commodore, Apple // series, TI994a, Sinclair, etc...

The subject matter is wardialers, code scanners, AE, Cat Fur, Phone Man, CNET, SprintNet/Telenet, Tymnet, Bridges, Loops, crack screens, atascii and petscii animations, etc..

I am working on building a database of the apps listed above for the various 8 and 16 bit platforms..

So if you were hanging out in the underground (even if it was just warez) during the period where an upgrade from 300 to 1200 baud was considered "elite" - and your computer displayed text in 40 columns, you will most likely fit in..

Anyway - I'm trying to build this, so don't expect 1000's of posts - but if you're into the subject, it might be a nice home.

blog: http://blog.8bitunderground.com
forum: http://www.8bitunderground.com

Hope to see you around.. Downloads and app reviews will begin very soon.

lp

#2 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:51 AM

Nice...I have a fetish for the 8-bit era. :cool:

After 8-bit computing went down hill... :biggrin:

Do you do RetroGaming too?

#3 lucidphreak

lucidphreak

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:26 PM

phail,

i do enjoy 8bit gaming occasionally - but i am pretty picky when it comes to things i like. there were a few things i really enjoyed, but for the most part it was just a love of grabbing the new stuff back in the day and sharing it with friends.

i like:

2600 adventure
galahad and the holy grail for the atari8
temple of apshai (seeing a trend yet?)
haunted house
gauntlet
battlezone
tempest

there were plenty more - but those come right off of the top of my head...

Nice...I have a fetish for the 8-bit era. :cool:

After 8-bit computing went down hill... :biggrin:

Do you do RetroGaming too?

#4 ticom

ticom

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 420 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

Speaking as someone who started hacking in the 1980s, this is awesome. I just joined.

#5 lucidphreak

lucidphreak

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:53 PM

Speaking as someone who started hacking in the 1980s, this is awesome. I just joined.

ticom,

I saw that, and thank you... I dont hang here to spam my sites - and hopefully some of the posts that I've done will help prove that.. But I do want to mention that I have thrown a review of "phone man 9.0" up on the blog as of today.. Really just a feature list with screenshots more than a review - but it is what it is.

I will be adding 7.5, and 9.0 which I very likely got from your site to the forums for download, and will eventually have an archive page (flex front end, xml back end) up and running in a public capacity eventually - but probably not until I have a pretty big cross section of reviews from the different platforms on line.

DESPERATELY seeking atari 8 bit, atari ST and amiga h/p/scene apps as they are few and far between... I remember an absolute GOB of Atari 8 Bit hack/phreak apps back in the day - but it seems like they were not kept handy nearly as much as the c64 and apple 2 apps were - which really blows me away considering the popularity of the platform.

I am finding tidbits here and there though and I think eventually the blog/forum/database will be a pretty neat thing for someone like me or you to stumble upon whereas noone else really keeps archives of that type of stuff in any easily browsable fashion.

Regardless - thanks to one and all who might give my sites a nod... The underground days gone by fill me with melancholy and I am glad to know that others feel the same.

#6 lucidphreak

lucidphreak

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 09:55 PM

So I've spent the past week or so compiling a pretty huge archive of c64/128 hack/phreak warez along with a few BBS software packages that I didnt see on bbsdocumentary.com...

I'm working on a FLEX interface for the front end of my archive - probably throwing everything into a single, sortable datagrid and then have a couple of drilldown options at the top of the interface that will allow the list to be pared down maybe by OS/Model...

Most of the stuff is your typical c64 bluebox or whatever just with a different interface, but i was pretty shocked by a couple of apps..

Soon to come on the forums, blog, and a new public page that will index the various apps I've found along with screenshots.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!