• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 01:58 PM

Has anybody noticed all those ads for the beta version of Google Chrome for Linux? Hell, it was about time. I don't know why Google chose to first release Chrome for Windows only and then wait so long before releasing it for Linux. In any case, I'm using it right now and it appears to be pretty good just like the Windows version. Even though it's still a beta it appears to be quite stable.

Google Chrome for Linux

They're providing packages for Debian/Ubuntu and Fedora/OpenSUSE in both 32 and 64-bit versions.

#2 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

I like it too. Seems a little faster than Firefox.

#3 Swerve

Swerve

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

Glad to hear this.

I've not really used Chrome yet, and FFox in Linux often displays pages horribly,

I hope Chrome does better. I might use my Ubuntu more often.

Edited by Swerve, 28 December 2009 - 03:43 PM.

#4 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:48 PM

i'm using it right now and everything seems alright. i've only had one strange crash so far, but everything else is stable.

8 tabs open, and chrome itself is only using about 203.9 MB of ram. I just wish it had addon support like firefox does.

#5 BinaryLust

BinaryLust

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:37 PM

I was excited about Chrome for the longest time. Then I started using it. Don't get me wrong any new addition of technology is just great. Yes it is faster on websites that use a lot of Javascript, yes I love the aesthetic but it has a ton of incompatibilities. For instance, if I log onto my blackboard for school I have limited functionability when it comes to posting and things. Also, even on this site, a lot of times when you surf the web and check out forums and things the graphics for emoticons and other stuff is missing or messed up. I also don't like its bookmarking system, it seems like it takes longer to use bookmarks. I'm too used to the drop down menu...and yes, it is a crime but I dare say I like Explorer's bookmarking system the best...but you didn't here that from me.

#6 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:58 AM

never used chrome probably never will. i mean why use chrome if firefox+ubiquity makes all the google "programs" work together better then if your actually using google programs.(never heard anything good about chromium linking google/gmail and w.e. together easily)
edit: http://ubiquity.mozilla.com/

Edited by dinscurge, 29 December 2009 - 01:01 AM.

#7 BinaryLust

BinaryLust

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:27 AM

never used chrome probably never will. i mean why use chrome if firefox+ubiquity makes all the google "programs" work together better then if your actually using google programs.(never heard anything good about chromium linking google/gmail and w.e. together easily)
edit: http://ubiquity.mozilla.com/

Good point. I use ubiquity/firefox too. Nice setup. But we haven't seen everything Google has planned right now. Have you seen Chromium, their new OP? It comes with default apps that connect to their cloud so I think Google is ready to go and make sure that the browser/Google experience is super smooth and leet, at least in their world, "cloud."

#8 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:37 AM

Good point. I use ubiquity/firefox too. Nice setup. But we haven't seen everything Google has planned right now. Have you seen Chromium, their new OP? It comes with default apps that connect to their cloud so I think Google is ready to go and make sure that the browser/Google experience is super smooth and leet, at least in their world, "cloud."

ive tried it but i couldnt get it to work(it was retarded and couldnt login/didnt have network driver for the default of virtual box. or maybe it wasnt a good copy idk) all i know is it didnt print dmesg and i didnt like that :p

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!