• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 SigFLUP

SigFLUP

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:38 PM

Anyone know where a junkie can get a copy of solaris 8? Touring sun's site every reference I find of 8 steers me to downloading 10, I guess because they don't support 8 anymore.

#2 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:11 AM

Why do you need Solaris 8?

#3 SigFLUP

SigFLUP

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:13 AM

I have a sparc ultra 5 and solaris 10 is dog-slow. It's for experimental purposes so I want to see if the version that would of actually ran on the box when it was released would be faster.

#4 SigFLUP

SigFLUP

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

Anyone know where a junkie can get a copy of solaris 8? Touring sun's site every reference I find of 8 steers me to downloading 10, I guess because they don't support 8 anymore.

Well, I found a site everyone:
ftp.kuzbass.ru/pub/Solaris/ (as far as I can tell, no sparc)

I wish sun at the very least hosted at least hashes of their unsupported cds so I can at least verify that this isn't fucked with. Anyway, for anyone else looking for older versions of solaris- there you go

Edited by SigFLUP, 07 December 2009 - 01:48 PM.

#5 jfalcon

jfalcon

Hakker addict

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 589 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 03:38 PM

I wish sun at the very least hosted at least hashes of their unsupported cds so I can at least verify that this isn't fucked with. Anyway, for anyone else looking for older versions of solaris- there you go

Umm... the only thing there is a copy of stuff you'd find at SunFreeware.

Since Solaris 8 is EOL big time, your best bet would be a torrent or a collector... I got my original CD's. :)

#6 MrFluffy

MrFluffy

HACK THE PLANET!

• Validating
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:58 AM

I have a sparc ultra 5 and solaris 10 is dog-slow. It's for experimental purposes so I want to see if the version that would of actually ran on the box when it was released would be faster.

The answers "yes". I have a sparcstation pizzabox which I had 10 on shortly and it was terrible, but Ive gone back to solaris 8 on it. I cant find the original install cd's though to make iso's of sorry. Its still mostly dog slow (being the older sparcstation, not even a ultra) but I only keep it around to test stuff against that build anyway.
Ive got a old netra x1 (the telco version with ide innards). That manages solaris10 headless managed through the lom and serial as normal happily, so if your building out a lab, they come along pretty cheap most of the time.

#7 LexDysic

LexDysic

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 04:01 AM

You know, I have an SPARC Ultra 5 running Solaris 10 (not OpenSolaris). It used to run Solaris 8, but I had the chance to snag a copy of 10... I honestly feel that the box runs faster with 10 than in 8, but I do not have any benchmarks to back it up, but this machine is my primary desktop... SO i notice changes in it ;)

Not sure where one would get a copy of Solaris 8... Mine came from the magic SunOS fairies. And with the Oracle behind the Sun wheel these days... who knows... Also Solaris 8 is that strange time before Solaris 9 and 10... its missing loads of toys...

Edited by LexDysic, 20 May 2010 - 04:02 AM.

#8 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 11:29 PM

Not sure where one would get a copy of Solaris 8... Mine came from the magic SunOS fairies. And with the Oracle behind the Sun wheel these days... who knows... Also Solaris 8 is that strange time before Solaris 9 and 10... its missing loads of toys...

eBay mostly...there are several copies in varying condition currently listed. If someone snags a copy, perhaps they could generate an ISO and create a tracker for it. Depending on what the copies listed currently go for, I might grab one, as I have several older SPARC-based Sun boxes that currently run OpenBSD for lack of original Sun software (I too found Solaris 10 to be too slow for early SPARC systems)

#9 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:06 PM

Just won a copy of Solaris 8 for SPARC for $10.49. Assuming it's not under copyright anymore (I assume not, since newer versions are freely downloadable), I'll be creating a torrent for the ISO(s) once it arrives.

#10 vulture

vulture

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

Just won a copy of Solaris 8 for SPARC for $10.49. Assuming it's not under copyright anymore (I assume not, since newer versions are freely downloadable), I'll be creating a torrent for the ISO(s) once it arrives.

Uh No, Oracle changed up the licensing on Solaris , but rest assured for now you can still use Solaris / Open Solaris for personal use.
Also, Open Solaris for sparc platforms runs pretty stable on my older ultra based workstations , but word to the wise, Unless you have a whole collection of sunsolve patches
don't even think about putting a Solaris 8 box out in the wild.

#11 army_of_one

army_of_one

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 28 September 2010 - 04:25 PM

Umm... the only thing there is a copy of stuff you'd find at SunFreeware.

Since Solaris 8 is EOL big time, your best bet would be a torrent or a collector... I got my original CD's. :)

Actually, Solaris 8 isn't totally EOL yetl: it's still in heavy use and supported by numerous companies in the form of Trusted Solaris 8. It's still one of the best MLS workstations out there. It's not high assurance or anything: you have to trust the users. However, it's well-designed enough to keep users from accidentally leaking confidential information. A number of products geared towards businesses combine it with Windows Citrix servers over encrypted links to ensure the Windows apps comply with the Solaris security policy. (Well, it's actually a distributed policy in that design.) Many systems are being rebuilt for Solaris 10 with Trusted Extensions (or whatever its called) but to many of us it seems like an add-on. Trusted Solaris 8 was built bottom up to remove deficiencies in architecture and design that hurt MLS functionlity. That's why it's still around and some companies still support it. An example would be Trusted Computer Solutions SecureOffice. They were offering it on TS8, but have recently switched to RHEL5. They are still supporting their TS8 users, though. I'm sure EOL paranoia is getting greater every day for Solaris 8 addicts....

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!