• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:20 AM

Ok I have heard you need a variation of Linux such as Ubuntu for programming/hacking. I am wondering what you think is the best one to use especially considering I am new to Linux and haven't used it before. I tried installing Ubuntu using the CD method and have had so many problems with it e.g. the build-essential packages not working off of the CD and then when I redownloaded them off the net them didn't work once again.

So anyone got suggestions/ideas to help me out I would appreciate it. Also if it is able to be installed off of a USB that would be great and alot easier thanks.

Oh forgot one thing I also would like it if I was able to keep windows and my programs/games still on my computer so I have two separate OS. And it doesn't have to be a Linux based OS just any OS like Solaris (whatever that is?).

Edited by Powermaniac7, 05 December 2009 - 03:26 AM.

#2 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:29 AM

well what do you want? if you want apt you can use debian/sidux/ubuntu or w.e., you can try redhat, you can try opensuse, gentoo w.e. they arent all that hard.

#3 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:06 AM

I don't really know anything to do with Linux or the many versions of Linux I'm a newbie to hacking and have just heard I need Linux or something like that. So I just wanted to know which one does everyone find to be the best or they prefer or whatever because I don't really care which one. All I care is I can somewhat easily use it and easily use it to hack and learn to hack. Oh and be able to use C++.

#4 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:19 AM

hmm. everyone is going to say ubuntu. but id try sidux as live boot cd(if get xfce) then you can see if debian sid/ubuntu in months later which will finally get the same drivers, see if they will work for your computer. plus its basically the same thing.

edit: http://sidux.com/
edit2: aparantly they got kde to fit on cd also.

Edited by dinscurge, 05 December 2009 - 04:22 AM.

#5 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:27 AM

So can I use C++ in this and is it going to be more confusing then using Ubuntu or just straight out Linux?

Oops forgot something I don't have the net on the computer that I am going to install the new OS on for learning to hack/program.

Edited by Powermaniac7, 05 December 2009 - 04:30 AM.

#6 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:59 AM

its basically the same as ubuntu accept you wont get popups telling you when there are updates/upgrades for system programs/files. and yeah you can run any program in the debian sid branch. so yes you can run c++ gcc w.e. it boots live so it will drop you into the o.s. then theres a install script on the desktop.
for having windows also is the hard part. your best bet would be ubuntu so you can try resizing the windows part.

#7 rainwater_stillicide

rainwater_stillicide

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:30 AM

Ok I have heard you need a variation of Linux such as Ubuntu for programming/hacking. I am wondering what you think is the best one to use especially considering I am new to Linux and haven't used it before.

You don't need Linux (of any variety) to program. You can program perfectly well on a Windows machine (using MinGW for example). However, if I was going to suggest a Linux distribution it would be Ubuntu - because it's easiest for newcomers.

I tried installing Ubuntu using the CD method and have had so many problems with it e.g. the build-essential packages not working off of the CD and then when I redownloaded them off the net them didn't work once again.

Which commands did you use to try and do this and what was the error which the computer output when it failed? When it comes to trying to fix errors on Linux more information is always better.

Ubuntu installation CDs (or USB drives) come with a utility on the main menu to check that the image is not corrupted - did you run this? (the option titled 'Check CD for defects' or similar - How to check CD integrity)

So anyone got suggestions/ideas to help me out I would appreciate it. Also if it is able to be installed off of a USB that would be great and alot easier thanks.

It is possibly to install Ubuntu (and many other Linux distributions) from a USB drive (using a program called UNetbootin is the easiest way - you will lose everything else on your USB drive though).

Oh forgot one thing I also would like it if I was able to keep windows and my programs/games still on my computer so I have two separate OS. And it doesn't have to be a Linux based OS just any OS like Solaris (whatever that is?).

If you install Linux on a separate hard drive partition you will still be able to use windows as before (a screen will appear when you start your computer asking which operating system you wish to boot into). From Linux you will be able to access all your Windows files - but not necessarily run any of the programs you installed on Windows.

#8 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

I just went on a wild adventure trying to work out how to remove Ubuntu which had errors on it and being able to load normally back into Windows xp. The stupid GRUB loader wasn't letting me get back into Windows xp once Ubuntu was gone so I had to reinstall Ubuntu which let everything work again. I then got BootItNG because this thread http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=113630 said I could use it to get rid of Ubuntu and put it all back to normal. Now I can load straight back into Windows xp YAY. So fun and terrifying adventure that but i think I will wait till I've got another computer I can use too put a Linux on. Or I know a bit more about this stuff.

#9 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

I tried Ubuntu. It is pretty good. I am new to Linux, and for the most part it could figure it out with forums. The cool thing about ubuntu is that they offer a free cd(after the free reg.) that they pay to send to you. Also if you can download the .iso. Kubuntu is a more gui friendly version of ubuntu. I tried both in the past 2 weeks and i like kubuntu more. I hear good things about debian as well and will be tring it via live cd tonight. Plus I bought a book Linux Operating systems for dummies and they seem to focus on red hat. Although I haven't found it with having to go through a mirror, which always scares me.

As far as cpp and other programming, ubuntu came with a writer (like notepad ++) that auto completes stuff for you and there are millions of compilers that are compatible with Linux.

If you get Grub error 22 and have a XP recovery disk you don't need to re install ubuntu. Error 17 open your boot options(i think f12 as you start) and choose hard drive. Then your options should be there again and you can delete the partition containing the Grub boot sequence.

Edited by 1337_snic, 10 December 2009 - 05:55 PM.

#10 rocky

rocky

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 05:56 PM

I recommend using VMWare Server - which is free to download and install - for running Linux. This way during the course of your learning any mistakes you may make will only affect the virtual machine. You may find that in the future you will want to use Linux as your main operating system but in the mean time however if your goal is to simply learn Linux while still retaining the functionality of Windows give the virtualization method a shot. VMWare is fairly straight forward to install and to use as well. An added bonus will be learning two new skills -- always a plus!

http://www.vmware.com/

#11 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 09:04 PM

Hmmm interesting replys thanks. Might look into VMWare see what it is like. Although can I use C++ on it. I've discovered also that I may not need Linux at all because I was searching through tools and programs on HackThisSite.org and found a C++ compiler for windows. So now I am using that instead which is quite easy to get up and running and understand. Thanks anywayz eveyone.

#12 Swerve

Swerve

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 02:18 AM

Hmmm interesting replys thanks. Might look into VMWare see what it is like. Although can I use C++ on it. I've discovered also that I may not need Linux at all because I was searching through tools and programs on HackThisSite.org and found a C++ compiler for windows. So now I am using that instead which is quite easy to get up and running and understand. Thanks anywayz eveyone.

Did you even read My post about doing C++ in Windows?

This explained everything you've spent the last few weeks discovering.

You can code in C++ on any OS. Linux, hacking and programming are separate subjects, one doesn't mostly depend on another.

Have you ran 'Hello World' yet?

Can you get it to compile?

Edited by Swerve, 12 December 2009 - 02:42 AM.

#13 Powermaniac7

Powermaniac7

mad 1337

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 04:43 AM

Yes I he compiled and run my first "Hello World" program and messed around with it to say other stuff. I compiled it with some program I found off of HackThisSite.org in their useful stuff.
Oh and yes I have read all that. I've also been doing some online hacking on HackThisSite.org and yes you don't really need to know much about programming for it. Although it seems knowing HTML and Javascript and such are helpful. I'm up too basic challenge 6 in which I'm just wondering how too decrypt it.

Edited by Powermaniac7, 12 December 2009 - 04:49 AM.

#14 Pan

Pan

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:16 AM

Just as an aside, and I'm sure some folks will argue with me on this, having a *nix distribution will give you far more options in everything you do in the networking/coding/hacking worlds. More tools and more flexibility. Though you've solved your specific problem without needing *nix, you might want to consider playing around with it. Aside from the access to tools and flexibility, working in the command line on a *nix box really improves one's understanding of the details of networking and coding -- since the stack and libraries themselves are what most of the fundamental services/apps/etc. were designed and written with.

With the prevalence of VMs, you can install pretty much any *nix variety on the machine you currently have. That might be a good option to provide a playground with which to gain some experience. good luck.

#15 gLi7cha

gLi7cha

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

Ok.... IMO, new to *nix, want usb (or daul boot) then go ubuntu. It's a great way for you to learn your way around. It's kinda like linux with training wheels but not really. As far as wanting to put it on a usb stick, I recommend 4gb or lager. Google search a program called "unetbootin" they have a windoze version as well as a linux version. keep a copy of both of these somewhere safe. Then just find the .iso you want (for any distro) open unetbootin, point it to the .iso, choose your usb (NOT YOUR HARD DRIVE!!!) and let it do it's thing ;-) it's pretty ez from there. If you don't like ubuntu, and want to try slack, arch, gentoo, etc, etc, you just open the program again, load the new iso (which WILL write over the old one) and you're on your way again.

***NOTE! In linux if you use "unetbootin" you *may* have to make it executable! (just right click, and I think it's under "Permissions". Just check the box that says executable. Double click the program and you're back on your way).

I go through distros faster then I go through coffee..... Trust me, "unetbootin" is a huge time saver (and cost saver as well. *no cd's*).

Because there is no "right" linux, I would suggest using this method until you find a distro that suites you. Start with ubuntu, then work your way into something else when you're ready. Currently I'm running #!CrunchBang 9.04 and I love it! It's been on my netbook for like 4 days.... Longer then most distros lol.

Hope all this helped, if you have any other questions regarding any of this, please feel free to message me.

-gLi7cha

#16 etherknot

etherknot

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:53 AM

Ok I have heard you need a variation of Linux such as Ubuntu for programming/hacking. I am wondering what you think is the best one to use especially considering I am new to Linux and haven't used it before. I tried installing Ubuntu using the CD method and have had so many problems with it e.g. the build-essential packages not working off of the CD and then when I redownloaded them off the net them didn't work once again.

If you simply want to use an OS to hack with out learning everything about the OS give nUbuntu a shot it specifically designed for cracking windows passwords and for network intrusion testing

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!