• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 12:45 AM

I have the ubuntu offered on their site, but don't want to have to chage file formats and save my hard drive contents to a different drive to open when ubuntu have been partitiond onto the drive, and i don't want to run it off a cd for the rest of my life. I am going to explore their site a little more, but does anyone have some liturature i should look into about file types that are accepted in ubuntu? Also, will ubuntu be able to detect and use all of the stuff currently on my computers HD?

Edit:
I ran the cd live, and ran into a few errors.
~no drivers?
~no internet(probably due to no wireless card river)
~no knowledge(haha)
~driver error?(no clue what it ment?)

Any ideas on these problems?

Edited by 1337_snic, 05 December 2009 - 01:20 AM.

#2 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 01:44 AM

what do you mean filetypes? it should support just as many filetypes as any other operating system just you need different programs(maybe) to acces those files. im guessing you just want to be able to install and still have your files there but i dont know how to do that in linux if it was me id just back up the important stuff and install it. maybe try resizing the current part for w.e. os so you can have both?

#3 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:43 PM

what do you mean filetypes? it should support just as many filetypes as any other operating system just you need different programs(maybe) to acces those files. im guessing you just want to be able to install and still have your files there but i dont know how to do that in linux if it was me id just back up the important stuff and install it. maybe try resizing the current part for w.e. os so you can have both?

I was thinking about partitiong the drive or putting another hard drive in. Mainly i mean can it play .mo3 files and such

#4 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:34 PM

.mp3? well if your computer was configured for windows if you wanted ubuntu on the same drive you would have to resize (most likely) as the windows part would just be the whole drive. if you have another drive you can just part and put linux on it and make that part active.

#5 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

Mmk.

.mp3 file extensions. You know like a music file. Will it be able to run one?

#6 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

yes you can install vlc or w.e. and play mp3's. if you have an extra disk i would highly recommend just installing ubuntu or w.e. on the extra disk and install the bootloader to the root partition of linux/superblock instead of the mbr. that way if you want to stop using linux you can just part the drive and make the windows part active.
  • Swerve likes this

#7 Swerve

Swerve

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:44 PM

Yes mate, they will play fine.

Like dinscurge say's, you typically need to just use a different program to play media files, MS Office documents etc. I use VLC for example on my Ubuntu installation.

If Linux couldn't play .mp3's or .avi's for example it would have far few users I would imagine. This is a non issue really. :)

Get it installed!
  • seabass likes this

#8 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:31 PM

I believe Ubuntu considers mp3's as a restricted format or something like that.. You have to manually tell it to download the extras... Not a problem though.. This link may help.

https://help.ubuntu....strictedFormats

Also to get encrypted DVD's to play look for libdvd3 or something like that.

I might be wrong as usual though... Take it for what it's worth.

#9 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:45 PM

I believe Ubuntu considers mp3's as a restricted format or something like that.. You have to manually tell it to download the extras... Not a problem though.. This link may help.

https://help.ubuntu....strictedFormats

Also to get encrypted DVD's to play look for libdvd3 or something like that.

I might be wrong as usual though... Take it for what it's worth.

To play DVD's you will need to install libdvdcss, available at the same place as VLC:

http://download.vide.../pub/libdvdcss/

Just browse for the latest version, .deb and .rpm packages are available as well as the source code. The reason why it's not included by default in most Linux distributions is because it's still technically illegal to "decrypt" CSS in some countries.

#10 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:43 AM

K Well as i type it is installing on my other computer. Question. I have run the live cd before. Just had no internet. Other than that it was pretty cool. I have a linksys model no. wmp 110. Many othe fourm and people have told me that i need to find a Linux ready driver for it. I have had no luck. Anyone know of a site that might have a bunch of the drivers i am definitely going to need?

#11 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

Ok i have partitioned and installed ubuntu now it is stable. I have no idea how to use anything in it. haha.(what can i say im a noob). But i still cannot get the wireless driver for my card. I tried using ndisgtk but it says "error: Dependency is not satisfiable:ndiswrapper-utils. I have installed the packet ndiswrapper-utils via a flash drive, but cannot get the idea of how to use it. I read the tutorial on ubuntu's site, but it really didn't tell me how to use it, only where to get it. Any ideas? Pointer? Laughs?

#12 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

well ndiswrapper is for using windows xp drivers. so your going to have to have those handy (cd or w.e.) but this http://en.wikipedia....Ndiswrapper.png didn't help at all as it doesn't say how to install the driver. inless your supposed to point to the .inf on the cd i guess.
(never used ndiswrapper so wouldn't know)

#13 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

What should i do. I have download and run the packet. Ndisgk says it is missing the utilities. I have installed that packet as well. I have the cd with the drivers handy also. But the .exe when i try to run it is says acess is denied? i am the administrator. Wen i tried to run it through terminal it couldn't find the .exe i was trying to run.

#14 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

well you cant run the .exe those are for windows on linux those a pretty much useless inless you want to emulate windows with wine, but that probably wouldn't work for installing drivers as it would want to copy the files/binarys to specific windows folders that wouldn't exist or be used during startup with linux. your best bet would be to just wait for someone thats used ndiswrapper to reply.

#15 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:00 PM

i Was looking into wine for other stuff, like games. Any documentation you would recommend? And also does anyone have a good book or site that I should purchase or visit so i can actually understand how to use ubuntu. Minus simple.. very simple commands, i havent a clue on how to use this. Another thing. If i chose to remove ubuntu, didnt it remove the windows boot option? From what i read it repplaces it with "Grub". How would i remove the partitions with having to run a system recovery disk(which i do not have T.T)

#16 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

well i have windows so ive never used wine. http://ss64.com/bash/ has explanation of the usual utilities. well if you wrote the boot loader to the root partition/superblock it did nothing to windows if you did the mbr it may have wiped out the windows boot loader. but if it was on a different drive it shouldnt have. if you have like dsl or something, you can use cfdisk to make the windows part boot flag on and the linux part boot flag off and see if windows boots. if it does then linux didnt wipe it out, and just put the linux boot flag on and windows one off. if it did wipe out the windows boot loader you can use supergrub disk to re put grub on just to boot windows.

#17 5imp7y

5imp7y

Hakker addict

• Binrev Financier
  • 507 posts

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:27 AM

Well when i boot on it i still have vista on drive c: and for some reason my second harddrive (containing ubuntu) is not visable when logged into vista. And when I boot grub does run so I am asuming it did wipe the windows boot option but as long as i am able to boot there shouldn't be a problem right?

Oh and in ubuntu i can view both connected hardrives. Drive c: has permissions removed, makeing all the files readonly(not a huge deal) but drive f: (the second hd) runs fine and it only visible through ubuntu. Odd isnt it. Any ideas as to why it happened?

video coming soon. I will show what is up and be able to explain my questions hopefully. :-) in the mean time i will read and learn i hope :-)

#18 etherknot

etherknot

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

Well when i boot on it i still have vista on drive c: and for some reason my second harddrive (containing ubuntu) is not visable when logged into vista. And when I boot grub does run so I am asuming it did wipe the windows boot option but as long as i am able to boot there shouldn't be a problem right?

Oh and in ubuntu i can view both connected hardrives. Drive c: has permissions removed, makeing all the files readonly(not a huge deal) but drive f: (the second hd) runs fine and it only visible through ubuntu. Odd isnt it. Any ideas as to why it happened?

video coming soon. I will show what is up and be able to explain my questions hopefully. :-) in the mean time i will read and learn i hope :-)

Which version of Ubuntu are you running? Ive been using ubuntu since 6.10 and there are differences in what it will do according to which version you are using... M$ doesnt play well with *nix so may be why vista wont recognize ur ubuntu partition but if your using at least 9.04 then you should able to right click on your windows partion and open it as admin. as far as file formats go use software sources in the task bar >system>administration>software sources and enable the extra repos...then task bar system>admin>synaptic and enable the gstreamer plugins for good, bad, and ugly that should pretty much allow rhythm box, mplayer, or amorak (which ever media player you prefer, personally I use songbird) to play mp3's, you can then play the mp3s from your windows partition in ubuntu without actually having to copy them over to your ubuntu drive...
not sure if thats helpful or if you've already discovered this, enjoy linux its an awesome OS if you take the time to learn it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!