Photo
- - - - -

What technological adventures are you involved in right now?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:22 PM

Does airplane hacking count? I've been helping a friend modify a Phantom Ultralight. We've upped the horsepower from it's original 35 to about 110. The thing climbs like a bat out of hell, and loops rolls and spins pretty good too. Its been a hellava project and we are shooting for 160 hp soon. I have a video here. I know it's not computer or Internet related but I think it is hardware hacking and a damn lot of fun.

#22 Sector-Xero

Sector-Xero

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:38 AM

That thing looks fucking awesome. I want one even though it looks a like a flying death machine. I was nervous watching that video.

#23 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:13 PM

how the hell do you go from 35-160hp? put on custom hemi heads, adjustable flapper exhaust, with a supercharger a computer to do fuelinjecting + diesel engine fuel injector, bore out the sparkplug mount and put in a racing car one put in a ridiculous coil, near zero resistance wire, put a shitload of octane in the gas and run 4stage nos/run pure oxygen into the airfilter?

#24 jadad

jadad

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:14 PM

I love Delphi

Delphi (and Pascal) is fucking awesome. I sometimes wonder what the programming landscape would look like if instead of so many popular languages being C derivatives, they had instead followed the Pascal way of doing things. To my eyes even the cleanest C code looks like an ugly mess where as Pascal code usually looks very readable to me.

#25 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:30 PM

how the hell do you go from 35-160hp? put on custom hemi heads, adjustable flapper exhaust, with a supercharger a computer to do fuelinjecting + diesel engine fuel injector, bore out the sparkplug mount and put in a racing car one put in a ridiculous coil, near zero resistance wire, put a shitload of octane in the gas and run 4stage nos/run pure oxygen into the airfilter?

No, you just take off the original little airplane motor and install a big snowmobile motor with a custom gear reduction unit an big ass propeller. We also tried to take off things that added a lot of weight to the plane. We did smaller wheels and lighter landing gear. Now if I could just lose about 40 lbs...

#26 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:50 PM

Does airplane hacking count? I've been helping a friend modify a Phantom Ultralight. We've upped the horsepower from it's original 35 to about 110. The thing climbs like a bat out of hell, and loops rolls and spins pretty good too. Its been a hellava project and we are shooting for 160 hp soon. I have a video here. I know it's not computer or Internet related but I think it is hardware hacking and a damn lot of fun.

That is frigging fucking cool. Snow mobile motor huh.. About what does it cost to get into that sport?

#27 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

No, you just take off the original little airplane motor and install a big snowmobile motor with a custom gear reduction unit an big ass propeller. We also tried to take off things that added a lot of weight to the plane. We did smaller wheels and lighter landing gear. Now if I could just lose about 40 lbs...

hmm.. id go with more of a motorcycle engine maybe a twin..(the transmission would provide more speed even if it had lower power) of course providing you make a gear ratio for it to spin the prop at near proper speed.

Edited by dinscurge, 04 December 2009 - 06:43 PM.

#28 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:14 PM

That is frigging fucking cool. Snow mobile motor huh.. About what does it cost to get into that sport?

You can buy a used Phantom Ultralight like this with a 52 hp motor for around $7000. It costs a lot more to buy the kit and build a new one. Of course after you get the plane you have to get someone to teach you how to fly. The cost for that can vary a lot. Its definitely not something you want to try and learn by yourself.

Ultralight and Homebuilt airplanes is where all the experimental and fun stuff go on. A lot of folks have built their own planes and hacked them to do new and interesting stuff. A lot of info about this is available through the Experimental Aircraft Association. Their web site is http://www.eaa.org.

Info on the stock version of the plane we are modifying (hacking) can be found at the Phantom website. http://www.phantomaero.com/

We need new people in our sport. Everybody thinks it is way too expensive to fly, so the pilot population is decreasing. Its not as expensive as people think. You can buy a plane for less than a Harley. I'd love to see some Binrevers in the sport. The hacker mindset is valuable everywhere.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!