2 replies to this topic

#1 totallyAunti

totallyAunti

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 07:17 PM

If anyone knows about this program, can you help me with the following -

First of all, I need this 1st question answered so I can decide whether to install Elastix :

The install instructions say to boot and the iso will install. 1st Question is : How do I run it once I get to the desktop? Will it have an icon to hit to run it when I decide to use this program (since I won't use it 100% of the time)? ,I don't know how iso's work> Or is this something that can only work on a computer which is dedicated to running this 24/7, so therefore I can't reach my desktop "as usual" and run this PBX whenever I feel like it? Basically, I'd like to run it BUT have the ability to still use the same computer to surf with, can I do this?

Secondly, if I don't like it and won't to get rid it, can it be uninstalled like any other program since it's an iso file?

I looked for info on these 2 questions on their site to no avail.

Fyi, this install is on Windows which probably doesn't matter.

Fyi, Elastix PBX for Windows is HERE .

If anyone can answer these 2 questions, please let me know.

Edited by totallyAunti, 14 November 2009 - 07:30 PM.

#2 droops

droops

Arduino Addict

• Moderating Team
  • 1,889 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 08:44 PM

its possible that i might be wrong.

this isn't something that you install in windows. this is a complete linux based distribution that runs asterisk with some pretty web interface.

what that means, is that you install this, and just this on a computer, your windows install will be erased. you can alternatively use some virtualization software like vmware or virtualbox to run this in windows, but that is going to take a bit of reading.

and iso file is an image of a cd, you have to burn these on a cd in a different way than just copying it over and clicking burn.

if i were you i would get a separate computer to run linux on (used computers are free) and then just install asterisk on the linux computer. this will teach you tons of fun stuff.

#3 totallyAunti

totallyAunti

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 10:48 PM

its possible that i might be wrong.

this isn't something that you install in windows. this is a complete linux based distribution that runs asterisk with some pretty web interface.

what that means, is that you install this, and just this on a computer, your windows install will be erased. you can alternatively use some virtualization software like vmware or virtualbox to run this in windows, but that is going to take a bit of reading.

You are correct, so I just found out.

I'm looking into getting a Linux distro to run off usb stick. Since I'm on this topic now, any suggestions for a good Linux distro to use on usb? I have a pretty good "how to" article about putting Linux on usb and how to choose a good usb stick HERE . I'm considering the usb option since one time I tried the OpenSUSE distro which I installed off the CD and it made Windows unaccessable upon boot - I couldn't choose to boot Windows at all and couldn't figure out a fix either so I had reformat to reinstall Windows (the distro was unuseable anyway because I discovered 2 problems with that distro, #1)couldn't get any player to play DVDs; #2)every browser would instantly crash and close - I couldn't browse at all. So, no more OpenSUSE 11).

Edit : I forgot to mention this - I'd like a distro which is easy to use and can run a lot of various apps, much like the Vista Home Premium I have now.

Edited by totallyAunti, 14 November 2009 - 11:02 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!