• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ctrl_shift_6_x

ctrl_shift_6_x

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 04:48 PM

Although i've looked around the web for these answers I do not feel i've came to a consensus of what I am doing. So I figure why not ask the wondeful world of <BR>

First... I want to make all my windows transparent, and possibly a different theme. I've been reading a lot on Compiz but im not 100% sure that's the direction I want to take, or if it will indeed help me with my overall goal. Any thoughts? I always see lots of peoples linux desktops with system performance monitors on the side like it was a widget, a nice theme, and transparent windows. It's been eye catching to me and I just want to set it up that way.

Second... Which kind of goes hand and hand with the first. I got a GDK theme from gnome-look.org and I want to set it up, I just have no idea where to begin. For reference this is what I downloaded http://gnome-look.or...content=112354.

Thanks in advance! =)

#2 trevelyn

trevelyn

mad 1337

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:37 PM

Although i've looked around the web for these answers I do not feel i've came to a consensus of what I am doing. So I figure why not ask the wondeful world of <BR>

First... I want to make all my windows transparent, and possibly a different theme. I've been reading a lot on Compiz but im not 100% sure that's the direction I want to take, or if it will indeed help me with my overall goal. Any thoughts? I always see lots of peoples linux desktops with system performance monitors on the side like it was a widget, a nice theme, and transparent windows. It's been eye catching to me and I just want to set it up that way.

Second... Which kind of goes hand and hand with the first. I got a GDK theme from gnome-look.org and I want to set it up, I just have no idea where to begin. For reference this is what I downloaded http://gnome-look.or...content=112354.

Thanks in advance! =)

hey buddy,

To install the theme, simply click on the menu at the top on "System" then click "Appearance." Now a new window will open up and you can drag your new theme file into that window and it will install by itself. If you get an error, it could be that the theme was packed twice (I have seen that happen before). To get transparent windows, you need to click the extras tab in the appearance windows and choose it. You may need to install the video driver for your particular system to use extra effects.

open a terminal and type
sudo lspci

and look for the exact model of your video adapter there. If it's NVIDIA you can install nvidia drivers right from their website, or by allowing restricted drivers to install, or add the multiverse in your apt repositories. open up a terminal and type
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
and remove any pound signs you may have there at the beginning of the lines.
Then run:
apt-get update
while you are connected to the internet. Then you can run:
apt-cache search <string>
where "<string>" is the word "nvidia" or "ati" etc. I have never used an ATI card before so, I am not sure how to install drivers for them. You can get cool transparent effects in terminal by editting your "profile" and clicking the "background" tab and then choosing solid color and "enable transparency" I think.. I am doing this from memory.

Hope that helps a bit. Compiz is awesome, absolutely awesome, and there are tutorial on the Ubuntu forums on exactly how to install it and get it working etc:

https://help.ubuntu....er/CompizFusion

If you have any further questions, i might suggest you ask them on their own forums, they are quite knowledgeable about the topic you seek!

:)

~Trev

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!