• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:57 PM

basically is there anyway to mount a file/dir as swap. as linux supposedly the more "advanced" operating system should be able to mount a file as swap. i mean solaris/opensolaris/freebsd/openbsd/netbsd/midnightbsd/dragonflybsd/windows 2000/xp/server 2003/server 2008/vista/7 ect. can do it why cant linux?
so if possible how would i go about doing that as google of course doesn't help at all as im not trying to install linux which is the only thing that comes up for probably unrelated reason.
part table is sda1/ntfs/xp sda2/ext4/sidux sda3/zfs/opensolaris sda4/efi/speeds up booting probably suspends bios there.

sda2 is like 50gb and im using like 3-4. space is not ever going to be an issue to have 4-8gb of swap.

Edited by dinscurge, 27 October 2009 - 10:00 PM.

#2 SigFLUP

SigFLUP

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:05 PM

basically is there anyway to mount a file/dir as swap. as linux supposedly the more "advanced" operating system should be able to mount a file as swap. i mean solaris/opensolaris/freebsd/openbsd/netbsd/midnightbsd/dragonflybsd/windows 2000/xp/server 2003/server 2008/vista/7 ect. can do it why cant linux?
so if possible how would i go about doing that as google of course doesn't help at all as im not trying to install linux which is the only thing that comes up for probably unrelated reason.
part table is sda1/ntfs/xp sda2/ext4/sidux sda3/zfs/opensolaris sda4/efi/speeds up booting probably suspends bios there.

sda2 is like 50gb and im using like 3-4. space is not ever going to be an issue to have 4-8gb of swap.

Perhaps you're looking for the command swapon

#3 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:43 AM

neh it was
dd if=/dev/zero do=/swap bs=1024 count=#######
thought i would have to do a fancier command than block size 1kb

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

Are you using a file for swap because you've run out of partition slots? If so, you can create a partition as logical, which means it can contain other partitions. Of course, that would involve repartitioning the disk, which you might not want to do anyway.

#5 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

have 4 primarys, i mean if i reinstalled i could have logical to have a part for swap but i only have 1 linux distro, there's no need to have a part for it.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!