• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SigFLUP

SigFLUP

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

So I have an account on a linux machine and login using an ssh key. I was never given a password or set one and now I want to change my shell. chsh of course asks for a password and so does passwd. before I contact the administrator about this is there a way to set your password if you don't know your current one?

#2 trevelyn

trevelyn

mad 1337

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 12:52 AM

So I have an account on a linux machine and login using an ssh key. I was never given a password or set one and now I want to change my shell. chsh of course asks for a password and so does passwd. before I contact the administrator about this is there a way to set your password if you don't know your current one?

edit the rc file? like ~/.cshrc just put at the end:

bash

to have a more modern shell. I had a shell on a BSD machine that kept giving me csh and that's what I did.

#3 SigFLUP

SigFLUP

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 12:42 PM

bash

to have a more modern shell. I had a shell on a BSD machine that kept giving me csh and that's what I did.

Then you'd have to type exit twice. I talked to the administrator about it and now I'm a proud user of zsh. Yeah! Fucking shell party!

#4 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:11 PM

Then you'd have to type exit twice. I talked to the administrator about it and now I'm a proud user of zsh. Yeah! Fucking shell party!

+1 zsh. ash suckz

#5 SigFLUP

SigFLUP

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 01:16 PM

+1 zsh. ash suckz

man, ash is the worst.

#6 trevelyn

trevelyn

mad 1337

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:41 AM

bash

LOL! who types "exit" when they leave a shell?? CTRL+D FTG! :D

#7 SigFLUP

SigFLUP

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 02:26 AM

bash

LOL! who types "exit" when they leave a shell?? CTRL+D FTG! :D

I also type clear when I want to clear the screen, although that's mostly practical because a lot of shells don't interpret ^l. These things are habitual and I think it also works with my personality because I have to think about things for a moment. To each their own mate

Edited by SigFLUP, 08 November 2009 - 02:35 AM.

#8 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:21 AM

thread jack = 1

i just got my sunfire 280r the otherday. and finally have time to work on it after i fixed the bent rack mount (from fedex e.g. fedex destroyed it) and decided to go ahead and give it a boot. ive tried googling it but not much has come up. either i need to pull out the rsc card and get a db9/rj4-db25 sun adaptor for the db29 serial port then i wont need the rsc password to get lom. another solution i found was to just set it up like normal but instead of trying to log in just press the power button and after the post message it "may" fault and give me the open boot prompt(it came up as a guide for other sunfire machines and i guess its probably worth a try) otherwise it might work if i pull out the hdd/batteries for the rsc card as the password is stored on the hdd. so it "may" forget the password on losing power and return to the factory admin/admin or root/password or w.e.
anyways anyone magically have a solution?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!