• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

basically having problems on my ghetto slackware install. its slack13 which has ath5k drivers so it does work with my netbook, is not the drivers as far as i know, i did
iwconfig wlan0 essid "example"
iwconfig wlan0 key "nnnn-nnnn(whatever its the key converted to hex because iwconfig doesnt work aparantly; with a string)"
the card is in managed mode, still not connecting probly some stupid error i did. i did on multiple occasions, "ifconfig wlan0 down(/up)" also the essid/key. it may be driver issues idk.

#2 SchippStrich

SchippStrich

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:53 PM

basically having problems on my ghetto slackware install. its slack13 which has ath5k drivers so it does work with my netbook, is not the drivers as far as i know, i did

iwconfig wlan0 essid "example"
iwconfig wlan0 key "nnnn-nnnn(whatever its the key converted to hex because iwconfig doesnt work aparantly; with a string)"
the card is in managed mode, still not connecting probly some stupid error i did. i did on multiple occasions, "ifconfig wlan0 down(/up)" also the essid/key. it may be driver issues idk.

You will need to use wpa_supplicant for the wpa2 key, iwconfig does not support this.

Edited by schippystrich, 13 October 2009 - 03:54 PM.

• tekio likes this

#3 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 939 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:50 PM

-.- it would help if i was using the right program. thanks. ill try

#4 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:10 PM

All newer distros should come preconfigured with a wpa_supplicant. IF you are entering the key in ascii try:
iwconfig wlan0 key "s:the key here"

I believe the syntax is correct for ascii, but you may want check the manual to be sure.

EDIT: i think iwconfig can set up a wpa2 key just as the GUI network app in Gnome does.

Edited by tekio, 13 October 2009 - 10:13 PM.

#5 rocky

rocky

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:49 PM

I believe that this Slackware networking tutorial will answer your question about wpa_supplicant and WPA2: http://alien.slackbo...ackware:network

#6 SchippStrich

SchippStrich

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

All newer distros should come preconfigured with a wpa_supplicant. IF you are entering the key in ascii try:

I believe the syntax is correct for ascii, but you may want check the manual to be sure.

EDIT: i think iwconfig can set up a wpa2 key just as the GUI network app in Gnome does.

Yes, the syntax is correct minus the quotes.

But it doesn't matter because iwconfig does not support wpa2.

I have not looked at the Gnome network app but I am sure it integrates wpa_supplicant.

Also dinscurge, use the link rocky provided.
That should solve your problems.

Edited by schippystrich, 14 October 2009 - 10:08 AM.

#7 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 02:11 PM

Yes, the syntax is correct minus the quotes.

But it doesn't matter because iwconfig does not support wpa2.

I have not looked at the Gnome network app but I am sure it integrates wpa_supplicant.

Also dinscurge, use the link rocky provided.
That should solve your problems.

I got iwconfig mixed up with iwpriv command... I use quotes because my key had a space. :p

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!