• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

being able to call a toll free number from google voice allows you to call a toll free ANAC like 800-444-4444 or 866-MY-ANI-IS so that you can see what is being passed as your ANI when you make a call... if you find that the ANI fails, or does not provide a complete number as GV previously has done (with the 585 being all that was passed) then you could op-divert to spoof your ANI to whatever you wish thru an operator...

there are other cool things that you could do with toll free numbers (scan for carriers, test numbers, etc)... and it is always good to find a way other than your own phone line to call toll free numbers on, since they use ANI to obtain your telephone information and not CID...

Even with the ANI as 404-260-5532 it is great for privacy. All the toll free number owner can find out is that the caller is using google voice and dialing out from voicemail after dialing with caller ID blocked, and that is provided that the toll free number owner bothers to google it and finds this thread.

Of course there are tons of voip providers that offer free termination to toll free numbers, without even having an account. I remember there was a large list of them somewhere but can't find it off-hand.

Edited by Skunkworks, 14 December 2009 - 07:59 PM.

#22 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:37 PM

Dunno why, but when I dial *67 before I call my Google Voice number from my registered phone, I can't op-divert. All that happens is I get my GV account and it asks for my PIN.

On the web account, it won't let me place calls with *67 prefacing the digits.

I can, however, make a call from the web to 1-800-444-4444 and it reads off my GV number (I can use this though when I need to call a toll-free number but I don't want them to have my actual number, so it's good to know).

Doesn't it work anymore? Now I'm wondering what's up.

#23 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

Of course there are tons of voip providers that offer free termination to toll free numbers, without even having an account. I remember there was a large list of them somewhere but can't find it off-hand.

Is THIS the type of thing you're speaking of?

#24 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:43 PM

Dunno why, but when I dial *67 before I call my Google Voice number from my registered phone, I can't op-divert. All that happens is I get my GV account and it asks for my PIN.

I can, however, make a call from the web to 1-800-444-4444 and it reads off my GV number (I can use this though when I need to call a toll-free number but I don't want them to have my actual number, so it's good to know).

It does work. Call your GV number with *67, then press * and enter your PIN. Then press 2 and enter your number followed by the # sign.

#25 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

Even with the ANI as 404-260-5532 it is great for privacy. All the toll free number owner can find out is that the caller is using google voice and dialing out from voicemail after dialing with caller ID blocked, and that is provided that the toll free number owner bothers to google it and finds this thread.

off the top of my head i know that skype and gizmo5 offer free termination to toll free numbers with out needing calling credit...

yes the 404-260-5532 is good for privacy.. but not as good as the 585, because with the 585 you could op-divert and get an operator to change your ANI making you pretty much bullet proof.... but with the ANI set as 404-260-5532 your calls would all be traced back to google, and under the right (or perhaps wrong) circumstances the information about who made the call could be subpoenaed from google...

EDIT: does GV use ANI to verify the number you are calling from? i have it where i do not need to enter my password if calling from my cell phone, but other calls need to enter the password... i called my GV number from my cell just now with *67 and did not need to enter my password... i dialed an ANAC number to be sure that my CID was blocked and i did get the 404-260-5532 number, so i assume that they are using ANI to verify the number that you are calling from and not just CID... if that is the case, and this is possible with out a toll free number, then why are cellular VMB's not using ANI and are vulnerable to spoofing hacks?

Edited by nyphonejacks, 14 December 2009 - 09:48 PM.

#26 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:47 PM

It does work. Call your GV number with *67, then press * and enter your PIN. Then press 2 and enter your number followed by the # sign.

Thanks. <my bad>

Edited by resistor X, 14 December 2009 - 09:48 PM.

#27 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

off the top of my head i know that skype and gizmo5 offer free termination to toll free numbers with out needing calling credit...

yes the 404-260-5532 is good for privacy.. but not as good as the 585, because with the 585 you could op-divert and get an operator to change your ANI making you pretty much bullet proof.... but with the ANI set as 404-260-5532 your calls would all be traced back to google, and under the right (or perhaps wrong) circumstances the information about who made the call could be subpoenaed from google...

EDIT: does GV use ANI to verify the number you are calling from? i have it where i do not need to enter my password if calling from my cell phone, but other calls need to enter the password... i called my GV number from my cell just now with *67 and did not need to enter my password... i dialed an ANAC number to be sure that my CID was blocked and i did get the 404-260-5532 number, so i assume that they are using ANI to verify the number that you are calling from and not just CID... if that is the case, and this is possible with out a toll free number, then why are cellular VMB's not using ANI and are vulnerable to spoofing hacks?

I think they use CPN and disregard the privacy bit. Try caller ID spoofing to confirm this.

#28 resistor X

resistor X

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

Edit: Comment deleted.

Edited by resistor X, 15 December 2009 - 12:07 AM.

#29 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

I found the list of voip providers offering free toll free termination. http://www.voip-info...ation Providers

Of course once you can dial toll free, you can use 800-FREE-411 or 800-980-PHAD to get some free calling, provided your willing to put up with 30 sec of ads first. Still useful for the few (conf) numbers that google voice blocks. Or you can just use a calling card... Posted Image

#30 nintendo1889

nintendo1889

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

I found the list of voip providers offering free toll free termination. http://www.voip-info...ation+Providers

Of course once you can dial toll free, you can use 800-FREE-411 or 800-980-PHAD to get some free calling, provided your willing to put up with 30 sec of ads first. Still useful for the few (conf) numbers that google voice blocks. Or you can just use a calling card... Posted Image

FWIW, most payphone block 800-goog-411. I'm betting the FCC would be interested in knowing that.

Anyone know a good toll-free service which I can forward point at my Google Voice number? I use around 30 hours/1800 minutes a month on the phone in my business.

#31 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

FWIW, most payphone block 800-goog-411. I'm betting the FCC would be interested in knowing that.

Anyone know a good toll-free service which I can forward point at my Google Voice number? I use around 30 hours/1800 minutes a month on the phone in my business.

why would the FCC be interested in knowing that goog411 is blocked from payphones?

many toll free operators prevent access to there number from payphones, since they have to pay extra for calls made to them from payphones...

goog411 is an information service, NOT a telephone service, so it is not the same thing as google voice blocking access to many rural CLEC lines that have high termination costs... because google voice MIGHT be considered a telephone service.. that i believe has yet to be determined.. but i assume that since they do not provide SIP termination that they are not truly providing a telephone service, and merely acting in a similar fashion to a calling card on steroids, since you need phone service from another provider to use GV

#32 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:54 PM

nyphonejacks has it right, GOOG-411 is blocked from *all* payphones, because Google doesn't want to cough up the cash to pay for unusually high cost of payphone calls. They used to let GOOG-411 be accessed from payphones, but I believe this stopped a year or two ago.

#33 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

it is back to passing 585 as the ANI info with 1-800-444-4444

with 1-866-my-ani-is it is - 585 0000000

#34 ic0n

ic0n

Fear teh phone!

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

it is back to passing 585 as the ANI info with 1-800-444-4444

with 1-866-my-ani-is it is - 585 0000000

I'm getting a privacy bit, I do get 585 read back when calling MCI. When calling a CNAM readback I get 000 0000 with the company that provides this service.

#35 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 05:27 PM

Yeah I noticed this yesterday when calls to a couple toll free numbers were failing for no reason when I used *67 first... so I called an ANAC and got a real shock :D

It's back to exactly how it used to be,
ANI-II: 00 (POTS)
ANI/BTN: 585
CPN: 585+P
Caller ID: Private

#36 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 January 2010 - 08:34 PM

Yeah I noticed this yesterday when calls to a couple toll free numbers were failing for no reason when I used *67 first... so I called an ANAC and got a real shock :D

how do you get the 2 digit ANI-II information?

#37 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:04 PM

Yeah I noticed this yesterday when calls to a couple toll free numbers were failing for no reason when I used *67 first... so I called an ANAC and got a real shock Posted Image

That's classified! Posted Image

ANACs that read ANI-II are almost unheard of, and die within a few days if made public nowadays.

#38 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

Yeah I noticed this yesterday when calls to a couple toll free numbers were failing for no reason when I used *67 first... so I called an ANAC and got a real shock Posted Image

ANACs that read ANI-II are almost unheard of, and die within a few days if made public nowadays.

so you have an ANAC that provides that info then i assume... i understand that you do not want to publish the information since it could mean that it will go away... just 2 questions, is it a local or toll free access number? and is there any resources online that would be able to provide a similar type look up for the 2 digit code for any given number...

oh... perhaps one more question.. do you know any free online CNAM look ups? closest i could find was num2name.com but every number that i enter the name comes up as unavailable....

#39 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

so you have an ANAC that provides that info then i assume... i understand that you do not want to publish the information since it could mean that it will go away... just 2 questions, is it a local or toll free access number? and is there any resources online that would be able to provide a similar type look up for the 2 digit code for any given number...

oh... perhaps one more question.. do you know any free online CNAM look ups? closest i could find was num2name.com but every number that i enter the name comes up as unavailable....

It's toll free. I donno about any online lookups for ANI-II for a number, only the NANPA's table of values. And yeah, num2name is pretty buggy, I'm not sure about any other services like it.

#40 JmanA9

JmanA9

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:01 PM

My guess is that different results mean different providers. It seems more plausible that Google is changing things, and not their provider changing things. But then again, who knows?

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!