• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

So everyone knows spoofcard isn't very cheap, I believe their best rate is something like 15c/min. Really most spoofing services seem to charge rates that are fairly out of line with the actual cost of setting up a PBX and buying a ton of SIP minutes.

I'm still a fair amount of a noob when it comes to asterisk, so I've been looking around for some cheaper alternatives for Caller ID spoofing before my asterisk skills improve, and/or the Truth in Caller ID Act ends up passing and ending all our (harmless) fun.

I was poking around some VoIP blogs and discovered zenofon.com, they bill themselves as a dial in long distance service with ringback from a toll free number and a few other bells and whistles, however the thing they don't seem to be advertising is the fact that you can set your outgoing caller ID on their web interface! Their rates are fairly good, 1 cent per minute to most US desinations. They also have international calling fairly cheap.

There is one *HUGE* thing to look out for, which is that their rates to call a few exchanges (mostly google voice) are listed at $100 per minute. I'm not sure if this is a mistake or if they are trying to pull a fast one there.

Anyway, they are open by referel only and you get $1 trial credit for signing up. Here is a link to sign up: http://www.zenofon.com/?CWSVP

I've tried it out a bit just using the $1 credit, and despite being a bit put off by their rates to call google voice, it seems fairly good. It's sure as hell the cheapest spoofing service out there.

Any opinions?

Edited by Skunkworks, 02 October 2009 - 01:07 AM.

#2 WaMu

WaMu

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:26 PM

I might check them out. But, they actually advertise caller id spoofing on their main page.

#3 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:04 AM

I might check them out. But, they actually advertise caller id spoofing on their main page.

Hah true, reading over a bit more closely I guess they sort of are. /facepalm

I've been testing it out a bit more and call quality is pretty good. Only fishy thing is those rates to google voice numbers. I still just dont get that.

#4 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 06:16 PM

That's probably just the thing - they're interconnecting with providers that use white routes, and Google Voice numbers are generally in places where universal service fees are pretty high - that's part of how they make money. Anywho, the USFs are probably passed onto them and they end up having to pay for it, so they probably want compensation from the customer in exchange.

#5 nyphonejacks

nyphonejacks

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:44 PM

by taking a random google voice exchange and entering it into the side rate chart i came up with a rate of $0.01 per minute

http://www.zenofon.com/about/rate.cgi

i guess the $100 per minute is to prevent people from using the call back feature with google voice numbers, because if you look at the rate chart those $100 per minute rates all appear under the call back rates, with the exception of 641 - but when i put a random number starting with 641 as the area code, i get back that there are no rates for calling this area...

#6 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:27 AM

I've been using spoofcard for a while now, it's really annoying when your numbers appears private because you forget the area code....

#7 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 12:50 AM

Just wanted to give everyone the heads-up that Zenofon has now reduced their free minutes to 30.

inivite link is still good: http://zenofon.com/?CWSVP

and they are still 1c/min thereafter for spoofing

#8 Kayara

Kayara

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

I like the service, although for some reason I can't seem to make phone calls directly from the phone I designated as primary. I have to set up the numbers I want to call as contacts in my account instead, and have zenofon assign direct-dial phone numbers for them. This is rather annoying if I want to, say, use the service for scanning. I really hope this limitation will go away if I purchase an account.

Also, does anyone know if you can pay by Paypal, or what the minimum recharge amount is? My understanding is that the minutes expire in 6 months, so I really don't want the minutes too high. Has anybody given Zenofon their credit card info yet? Any problems?

Finally, in the FAQ, Zenofon explains that the $100 per minute rates are designed so that the call won't go through, and to stop "fraudsters" from dialing certain numbers.

#9 Skunkworks

Skunkworks

mad 1337

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:17 AM

I like the service, although for some reason I can't seem to make phone calls directly from the phone I designated as primary. I have to set up the numbers I want to call as contacts in my account instead, and have zenofon assign direct-dial phone numbers for them. This is rather annoying if I want to, say, use the service for scanning. I really hope this limitation will go away if I purchase an account.

Also, does anyone know if you can pay by Paypal, or what the minimum recharge amount is? My understanding is that the minutes expire in 6 months, so I really don't want the minutes too high. Has anybody given Zenofon their credit card info yet? Any problems?

Finally, in the FAQ, Zenofon explains that the $100 per minute rates are designed so that the call won't go through, and to stop "fraudsters" from dialing certain numbers.

The first issue you are addressing should go away once you use a credit card, the forwarding numbers should work fine but not their toll free number.

Yes you can pay with paypal and I think the minimum recharge is $5. Zenofon doesn't seem to shady, so I wouldn't worry about your credit card data overall, although its always good to be cautious to paranoid.

I think the "fraudsters" have been using the CID/SPN spoofing to attempt to SE credit card companies.

#10 Infinite51

Infinite51

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:43 PM

I'm still a fair amount of a noob when it comes to asterisk, so I've been looking around for some cheaper alternatives for Caller ID spoofing before my asterisk skills improve, and/or the Truth in Caller ID Act ends up passing and ending all our (harmless) fun.

I think you need to re-read the bill in its entirety. I assure you that it is not going to be the end of Caller ID spoofing or anything of the matter.

"It shall be unlawful for any person within the United States, in connection with any telecommunications service or IP-enabled voice service, to cause any caller identification service to knowingly transmit misleading or inaccurate caller identification information with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value, unless such transmission is exempted pursuant to paragraph 3b "

In short, if you want to display another number for privacy reasons or any reason for that matter it's perfectly fine. Instead the bill aims at creating legislation to make it easier to prosecute individuals who are using these services malicously and with a criminal intent, and I must say the bill is long overdue.

Edited by Infinite51, 26 March 2010 - 05:43 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!