• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cyberstu

cyberstu

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

Hey all, I was bored on my course earlier, so I tried sending a ping of death on Windows Server 2003. However it wouldnt let me ping anymore than 655000 bytes I think it was, dont quote me on the exat amount. I was just wondering if there was anyway I could fool Windows into thinking I was sending ;ess bytes than I actually am. Its just that reinstalling windows over and over again gets pretty boring and we have a few machines with no-one using them so Im using them for experimental purposes.

#2 DanielG

DanielG

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:44 PM

According to wikipedia about the ping of death:

This exploit has affected a wide variety of systems, including Unix, Linux, Mac, Windows, printers, and routers. However, most systems since 1997-1998 have been fixed, so this bug is mostly historical.

The only windows I know that was affected by this is an unpatched Windows 95 OS.

So even if you send a 65,536 byte ping packet it doesn't do anything anymore.

#3 cyberstu

cyberstu

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 05:47 PM

Glad you told me that. Cant believe I spent about an hour messing around with the ping command and writing batch files for nothing, lol.

#4 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 11:52 AM

I think I read an article about the Ping of Death re-appearing in one of the beta builds of Windows 7 or in Vista or something, but for all intents and purposes, yes it is dead. Windows 95 is the only version of windows that had the bug and Microsoft released a patch for it.

#5 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:19 PM

I think I read an article about the Ping of Death re-appearing in one of the beta builds of Windows 7 or in Vista or something, but for all intents and purposes, yes it is dead. Windows 95 is the only version of windows that had the bug and Microsoft released a patch for it.

I think this is what you're talking about:
http://g-laurent.blo...0&max-results=1

#6 chown

chown

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Moderating Team
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:36 AM

The "ping of death" has been obsolete for what is a millennia in the computing world.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!