• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WaMu

WaMu

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

My neighbor called me over to try to fix his home wireless network. He told me he was having difficulty connecting to the internet from his room, because the signal was so weak. He told me he had a range extender.

So I took a look at the range extender. It's a Cisco WRE54G (version 2), extender. It was showing it had a link to the network, however no activity. I ran a scan of his network, and couldn't find it. I looked up the default address of the device, and tried to connect to it, but no luck. So I determined that the extender somehow disconnected from the network.

So, I held in the "Auto Config" button (for thirty seconds!), and the extender did absolutely nothing. The "Link" light stayed blue, and the "activity" light remained void of any color. I tried again, and again, it didn't do shit.

I decided to reset the extender to the factory defaults, inserted a paperclip in the reset hole, held it in place for about a minute, but nothing happened. I unplugged the extender, reset it countless times, held in "auto config", but the damn thing didn't do anything. It remained "linked" to the network (it wasn't connected), and showed no activity.

The extender had a Ethernet port, so I tried to connect it directly to the router, but it wouldn't connect. I tried connecting it directly to my laptop, but no luck there. The green light that supposed to illuminated when an Ethernet cable is shoved in the port won't light up. No matter what I do, the extender retains the blue "linked" light.

I'm out of ideas. I'd try to install new firmware, but I have no way of connecting to the router. I want to reset it to the factory default settings, but for whatever reason, it won't.

I searched around, and found that a few other people had the same problem; however, I couldn't find any fixes.

Anyone know of a way to reset the extender?

#2 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:53 PM

I've had similar problems with a shitty router, and the problem was the power supply. The lights would come on and it would look like it's working, but it wasn't. I replaced the adapter and it worked fine.

#3 robo_geek

robo_geek

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

My neighbor called me over to try to fix his home wireless network. He told me he was having difficulty connecting to the internet from his room, because the signal was so weak. He told me he had a range extender.

So I took a look at the range extender. It's a Cisco WRE54G (version 2), extender. It was showing it had a link to the network, however no activity. I ran a scan of his network, and couldn't find it. I looked up the default address of the device, and tried to connect to it, but no luck. So I determined that the extender somehow disconnected from the network.

So, I held in the "Auto Config" button (for thirty seconds!), and the extender did absolutely nothing. The "Link" light stayed blue, and the "activity" light remained void of any color. I tried again, and again, it didn't do shit.

I decided to reset the extender to the factory defaults, inserted a paperclip in the reset hole, held it in place for about a minute, but nothing happened. I unplugged the extender, reset it countless times, held in "auto config", but the damn thing didn't do anything. It remained "linked" to the network (it wasn't connected), and showed no activity.

The extender had a Ethernet port, so I tried to connect it directly to the router, but it wouldn't connect. I tried connecting it directly to my laptop, but no luck there. The green light that supposed to illuminated when an Ethernet cable is shoved in the port won't light up. No matter what I do, the extender retains the blue "linked" light.

I'm out of ideas. I'd try to install new firmware, but I have no way of connecting to the router. I want to reset it to the factory default settings, but for whatever reason, it won't.

I searched around, and found that a few other people had the same problem; however, I couldn't find any fixes.

Anyone know of a way to reset the extender?

Sometimes the internal reset switch had been effectively torn off the circuit board, or somebody has pushed the switch in so hard that it had cracked the circuit board.

I would open it up and see if you can reset it by shorting the switch contacts. Also make sure that somebody did not plug it into the wrong power supply, as this may make it flaky (low voltage/current) or toasty (too much voltage).

#4 biosphear

biosphear

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

Best thing I could tell you is return it fro were you/who ever got it and get a new one. Sounds like you have gotten one that is DOA, or is about to die anyway.

Also, not to be the Cisco Nazi, but this product is maid by Linksys. Yes Linksys is a division of Cisco, but that is like saying, "I own a Mercedes Benz, when you really just own a Chrysler", and then you make the argument, "Well Chrysler is a division of Mercedes". Just a side note.

Well tell us how it goes. I am interested to see what this could be (even though my solution does noting to find out what it could be :tongue: ).

biosphear

#5 WaMu

WaMu

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:54 PM

Thanks for all the input, guys!

I went back to his house today, plugged the (Linksys) extender in, and it wouldn't turn on.

The issue could have been power supply, but I think I'll just have him buy a new one instead of trying to dick around with new power plates.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!