Photo
- - - - -

WTF? Why is this hard drive playing music?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 IndexPhinger

IndexPhinger

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

So my freinds aincent and mostly unused box recently bit it, we were OCing it from 1.8 Athon XP to around 3.4Ghz or so by covering it in dry ice, but we didint realise that we were overclocking the southbridge too, so It burned out our hard drives too, "she can't take anymore capitan" comes to mind, now his maxtor (crap) plays a little tune Which I think is "Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner" and the other one which is a WD (<3) beeps, we decided to pop them open, we found crashed heads in one and cleaned plates ala deskstar in the maxtor.

Why do hard drives play music when they die?

Edited by IndexPhinger, 26 August 2009 - 07:36 PM.

#2 Freed.Info

Freed.Info

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Banned
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:53 PM

The ones that play music are the ones that made it to hard drive heaven. What you are hearing are the angels coming down while playing their harps and lifting their soul's up. One day the music will stop and then you will know that you hard drive's soul is resting in heaven.

The ones that don't play music...well they went to one or another level of Hell. If they possessed pirated material they are definitely residing on the seventh level. That's where bad hackers like Agayster and Ohm end up when they die too. If they were simply fragmented well then some of the lower levels will do. :laugh:

In case you were being serious, did the sound come from the drive or the speaker of the one that was making music?

Edited by Freed.Info, 26 August 2009 - 10:01 PM.

#3 IndexPhinger

IndexPhinger

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

The ones that play music are the ones that made it to hard drive heaven. What you are hearing are the angels coming down while playing their harps and lifting their soul's up. One day the music will stop and then you will know that you hard drive's soul is resting in heaven.

The ones that don't play music...well they went to one or another level of Hell. If they possessed pirated material they are definitely residing on the seventh level. That's where bad hackers like Agayster and Ohm end up when they die too. If they were simply fragmented well then some of the lower levels will do. :laugh:

In case you were being serious, did the sound come from the drive or the speaker of the one that was making music?

The Drives themselves made music, but now they wont spin :p

#4 Sector-Xero

Sector-Xero

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:02 AM

You crashed the heads and now they are rubbing against the platters?

#5 IndexPhinger

IndexPhinger

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 03:24 AM

You crashed the heads and now they are rubbing against the platters?

One doesnt spin and makes music, the other beeps and makes scraping noises.

#6 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Vids, please.

#7 Gr4v170N

Gr4v170N

elite

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:21 PM

lol agayster..

#8 friendless

friendless

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:38 AM

Perhaps you got Rick Rolled or something like this was pre-built into it?

I found a lot of videos such as this but can't find any information on ones designed to do it when they 'die'...

RMI: Company, Model, etc... of HDD?

#9 Sector-Xero

Sector-Xero

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

Seriously, define music to me. This thread is driving me nuts with all the vague descriptions.

Your saying that the platters have stopped spinning. The hard drive has some type of piezo buzzer and produces an actual melody?

Is this what your saying? Yeah make a video.

#10 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:41 PM

Seriously, define music to me. This thread is driving me nuts with all the vague descriptions.

Hehe my own personal definition of "music" is pretty loose as well, but even I'm skeptical.

IMO "music" would imply that some human being deliberately put some effort into creating sound for artistic purposes.

BTW, even if the platters aren't spinning, the head could be using its stepper motor to attempt a "seek" which might be generating some tones. I suspect the drive may be just making some random mechanical vibration that IndexPhinger is describing as "music." Until I see convincing evidence indicating otherwise, I'm going to assume that is the case.

I'm sure you've all seen the videos of "singing" scanners and floppy drives. Some creative people have written special drivers for their peripherals to run the stepper motors at different speeds in order to generate specific tones to play music:

Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" on a scanner:

Vivaldi's "Spring" on a scanner:

Most awesome yet, the Star Wars "Imperial Battle March" played on a floppy drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4SCSGRVAQE

Edited by Colonel Panic, 28 August 2009 - 06:44 PM.

#11 robo_geek

robo_geek

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

So my freinds aincent and mostly unused box recently bit it, we were OCing it from 1.8 Athon XP to around 3.4Ghz or so by covering it in dry ice, but we didint realise that we were overclocking the southbridge too, so It burned out our hard drives too, "she can't take anymore capitan" comes to mind, now his maxtor (crap) plays a little tune Which I think is "Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner" and the other one which is a WD (<3) beeps, we decided to pop them open, we found crashed heads in one and cleaned plates ala deskstar in the maxtor.

Why do hard drives play music when they die?

the head mechanism is a 'voice coil actuator', so the head can and will make music if you feed it a signal that is more 'music like'. I could see how OCing a southbridge could scramble the data, but to really kill a drive would take heat/power, afaik. Maybe the power supply was not up to the task and went low-current....or maybe something on the mobo went pop??

#12 Gr4v170N

Gr4v170N

elite

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

Hehe my own personal definition of "music" is pretty loose as well, but even I'm skeptical.

IMO "music" would imply that some human being deliberately put some effort into creating sound for artistic purposes.

BTW, even if the platters aren't spinning, the head could be using its stepper motor to attempt a "seek" which might be generating some tones. I suspect the drive may be just making some random mechanical vibration that IndexPhinger is describing as "music." Until I see convincing evidence indicating otherwise, I'm going to assume that is the case.

I'm sure you've all seen the videos of "singing" scanners and floppy drives. Some creative people have written special drivers for their peripherals to run the stepper motors at different speeds in order to generate specific tones to play music:

Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" on a scanner:

Vivaldi's "Spring" on a scanner:

Most awesome yet, the Star Wars "Imperial Battle March" played on a floppy drive: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4SCSGRVAQE

That was pretty awesome.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!