• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 12:43 PM

About a month ago I saw a good bargain on eBay for a Sun E420R. As I already own a Sun Fire v100, I had to face the reality that I don't really need a second SPARC computer, but I showed it to my friend and he bought it. The system has 4 UltraSPARC II 450Mhz processors and 4 gigs of ram (8x512MB). I did not have the time to go at his place until today to play with this little beast. We took a couple of pictures:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Let me know what you think :P

#2 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:16 PM

nice find :P, now just have to figure out what to do with all the computing power XD

#3 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

nice find :p, now just have to figure out what to do with all the computing power XD

Sell it and buy a PC that's faster, smaller, quieter and uses less electricity. But we've been over this before :p

These are always interesting machines. I like to look, but wouldn't want to own one.

#4 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:28 PM

Cool...

But what's a good bargain?

#5 Freed.Info

Freed.Info

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Banned
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:28 PM

nice find :p, now just have to figure out what to do with all the computing power XD

Sell it and buy a PC that's faster, smaller, quieter and uses less electricity. But we've been over this before :p

These are always interesting machines. I like to look, but wouldn't want to own one.

Ohm, how can you even make that determination without knowing what kind of "bargain" he got, gosh?

I like Aghaster as little as you (wait he's your buddy) but at least I won't be one of these people who uses another person to mix in a major criticism followed by a little positive pat like "these are always interesting machines" to pretend that you aren't really criticising when you are. Man do you need to hate. What disfunction. Sign up for Dave Chappelle's Hater's ball. You'll win everytime.

On top of it you gave Dinscurge a negative Rep!!! What mental illness! Hate, Hate, Hate.

#6 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

Why do you need to post crap in my thread?

Ohm's right about how I could simply buy a faster PC than this big E420R. For your information, the bargain was that my friend got it for $100. The point in buying a machine like this is just because it's interesting. It really is a geek toy. Don't pretend to take my defense when all you want is a pretext to call me Agayster.

Ohm, how can you even make that determination without knowing what kind of "bargain" he got, gosh?

I like Aghaster as little as you (wait he's your buddy) but at least I won't be one of these people who uses another person to mix in a major criticism followed by a little positive pat like "these are always interesting machines" to pretend that you aren't really criticising when you are. Man do you need to hate. What disfunction. Sign up for Dave Chappelle's Hater's ball. You'll win everytime.

On top of it you gave Dinscurge a negative Rep!!! What mental illness! Hate, Hate, Hate.

#7 Freed.Info

Freed.Info

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Banned
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

:laugh:

Agayster you just proved me correct. Talk about an infinite resistence to intelligence and I don't mean your boyfriend Ohm. Ohm used Dinscurge to criticise you then voted HIM and not YOU down. He gangs up on him all the time, spewing his negativity. It isn't just him. I'm sticking up for Dinscurge and everyone else you and your cronies pick on. It should be you defending him and YOURSELF, but because he gives it to you good you look the other way and take it a different way.

You have to look at it from my perspective. Ohm isn't giving me buttgasims and making me see sunshine all day. Therefore, I don't have an opiate to hold me back from the truth.

And another thing there is still an unpatched 3.0.2 hack on this board that allows me to see who's voting me down. Not only did you place me on "warning" but you also are going around and voting me down. Poney.

:laugh:

#8 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:05 PM

...the bargain was that my friend got it for $100.

That's a helluva deal! Good for you. Yeah it's a excellent geek toy but there's still a ton of open source use for it. Some nice lean linux on that can make it hum. It's a quad core system, rather than quad core which we are all use to, so you can experiment with parallelization . You can easily set up a program to test how well you can get things humming by using parallel processing to brute for crack some test passwords. You can cap it off with a study vs single core brute force cracking. I'll bet you a lot of money that you'll have more than 4x's performance boost which is counter intuitive.

But hey that's just one suggestion from one geek to another.

#9 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

...the bargain was that my friend got it for $100.

That's a helluva deal! Good for you. Yeah it's a excellent geek toy but there's still a ton of open source use for it. Some nice lean linux on that can make it hum. It's a quad core system, rather than quad core which we are all use to, so you can experiment with parallelization . You can easily set up a program to test how well you can get things humming by using parallel processing to brute for crack some test passwords. You can cap it off with a study vs single core brute force cracking. I'll bet you a lot of money that you'll have more than 4x's performance boost which is counter intuitive.

But hey that's just one suggestion from one geek to another.

We actually plan to use Solaris on this machine :p It's funny you mention cracking in parallel, as I was just testing rcracki_mt on my Q6600 and it works damn well. I only have a 45gb LM rainbow table though, but it's fast enough to crack quite complex passwords in a matter of minutes.

#10 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

brag = 1

got my sunfire 280r with dual ultrasparc III 900mhz processors with onboard 8mbl2 caches. but only 4x256mb ram but it did come with dual 560watt power supplies, a 36gb 10krpm fibre channel drive, dvdrom and the sun rsc card. o yeah for $99.99 but its pretty big 19" 4u rack and 30"deep and like 91lbz bad thing iz it costed $50 for fed ex to ship it like 45-50 miles. and then they bent one rack mount back which wrecked the front door to get at the drive bayz, idk hit it with a balpeen hammer, o and ripped of the front bezel as its not cracked at all no scratches but all the bolts were ripped out. and it came in idk like 5'x3' medium density fiberboard that im going to make into a bunch of shields.

#11 intimidat0r

intimidat0r

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

I like Aghaster as little as you (wait he's your buddy) but at least I won't be one of these people who uses another person to mix in a major criticism

Didn't you just do that?

#12 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 08:49 AM

I like Aghaster as little as you (wait he's your buddy) but at least I won't be one of these people who uses another person to mix in a major criticism

Didn't you just do that?

lol, thanks for defending me intimidat0r, but I think you're too late :p Freed.info got banned a while ago

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!