• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 AlexZ

AlexZ

elite

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 04:24 PM

My question is writing in the topic title...in your opinion, what's you favourite audio player on Linux?!

#2 mangospork

mangospork

0mg h4x

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

My question is writing in the topic title...in your opinion, what's you favourite audio player on Linux?!

Amarok 1.4 for eva.

Though I do have to throw out some props to mplayer for cli audio playing. But towards songbird, bmpx, etc. They're all just trying to live up to the awesomeness of Amarok. In my opinion.

But then again, that's just my opinion. I don't want to get bad tokens, since I'm not even +anything. So, I figured I could throw in some other resources.

Here: http://www.smashingd...-your-favorite/

That's just a list of fav music-players from smashingdownloads.com, I've trusted their opinion before. But anywho, hopefully this was helpful.
*Dance, Dance, Dance*
  • dinscurge likes this

#3 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:51 PM

Amarok is by far the nicest one I've found. 2.x still isn't quite feature complete, but I think I like the interface more than 1.4.x.

#4 Enigma

Enigma

HPR Overlord

• Moderating Team
  • 839 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:28 PM

I guess I just like something simple but I use vlc for all my media content since it plays everything :)

#5 mangospork

mangospork

0mg h4x

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

Amarok is by far the nicest one I've found. 2.x still isn't quite feature complete, but I think I like the interface more than 1.4.x.

I'm with you, though I'm not a fan from switching from xine. Same thing with phenon, or whatever it's called. I'm actually on 2.x atm, due to the fact in Debian I had troubles getting my Audigy 2 ZS working with alsa, in the old amarok since I had higher alsa drivers than before. I don't know, regardless. 2.x takes shit daily, by everyone. But, you have to give them credit where it's due. (Even though there were pretty much all the same features in 1.4.x, w/ the script installer.) :3

Anywho. I'm giving you a thumbs up. Lol. :D *Dance*

#6 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

I use whatever happens to be handy at the moment. They all do the same thing in the end, so I don't bother trying to find the "best" one.

#7 mangospork

mangospork

0mg h4x

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:49 PM

I use whatever happens to be handy at the moment. They all do the same thing in the end, so I don't bother trying to find the "best" one.

I agree, but...you do still consider look/database type for collections/etc right? I think that's the point of this post/thread.

#8 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:49 PM

The "X is the best" threads typically end up in flamings, so I'll answer that Songbird has been the most useful to me. It aims to compete with iTunes. Check it out, it's my favorite.

#9 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:10 PM

I agree, but...you do still consider look/database type for collections/etc right? I think that's the point of this post/thread.

All he said was audio player. That doesn't necessarily entail a full-blown database of your entire collection. I just click and drag files to a playlist. It's surprisingly easy. I used Amarok for a while when I was on KDE, and it was great while it worked. Some of my files don't have such great ID3 tags though, so I ended up wasting a lot of time cleaning those up. It also broke down from time to time. I tend to avoid these now, and use whatever simple player I have at the moment.

#10 mangospork

mangospork

0mg h4x

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:45 PM

All he said was audio player. That doesn't necessarily entail a full-blown database of your entire collection. I just click and drag files to a playlist. It's surprisingly easy. I used Amarok for a while when I was on KDE, and it was great while it worked. Some of my files don't have such great ID3 tags though, so I ended up wasting a lot of time cleaning those up. It also broke down from time to time. I tend to avoid these now, and use whatever simple player I have at the moment.

Ah, forgive me then for my rude-ness. Lol. I'm just used to files, all over the place. There's no way I couldn't live with a full blown database. :3

#11 AlexZ

AlexZ

elite

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:26 AM

Me too...when I've used KDE, I've played my songs with Amarok, is a very good player but now that I have GNOME and dont' want to install Amarok because I'm going to slow down my pc because my system should load both QT and Gtk...
I've installed Banshee and it's very useful!! :P

#12 chaostic

chaostic

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

XMMS v1.14
noXMMS (XMMS without the gui) 1.12

VLC for some other stuff.

#13 etherknot

etherknot

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:44 AM

Personally I use songbird, I love the look and functionality of it. I used to use amorak and loved it but ever since nitely came out it seemed like they downgraded it instead of upgraded it so began seeing lots of hang up in it and some loss of functionality. Songbird could be better, like when I plug in my ipod, it'll see it and play from it but to remove or add songs I switch over to rhythm box becuz its just easier for that IMHO.

#14 Minishark

Minishark

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:40 PM

I use Ncmpcpp + Mpd and I love it. For those not familiar Mpd stands for Music Player Daemon, and Ncmpcpp is a command-line (ncurses-based) frontend that connects to it.

It uses barely any system resources, plus since it runs as a daemon you can restart X and the music keeps playing. Who doesn't want that?

#15 phr34kc0der

phr34kc0der

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:06 PM

I mainly use mplayer and rhythmbox. Rhythmbox is installed by default on Ubuntu (and why waste disk space on installing anything else) and mplayer is great for playing songs not in my library or when i'm laying in bed and want to play my music from the PC :)

When I used to use KDE (a good few years ago) I always found amarok to be quite slow and resource heavy.

#16 PurpleJesus

PurpleJesus

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:56 PM

I found one called Exaile on Linux...

It runs pretty good and doesn't /pop/ between tracks like Amarok and Banshee did.. And I have less audio problems when Firefox trys to play some Flash something or other. Why, I have no idea.

#17 JBu92

JBu92

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

can't go wrong with VLC

#18 eldiabl0

eldiabl0

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 09:56 PM

XMMS is my all time favorite. Audacious is quite nice too.

#19 Olorcain

Olorcain

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 August 2010 - 06:09 PM

My personal preference is also VLC but I would suggest sampling several programs until one finds what they most prefer,
one program may be great for one but not so great for another, though I will say I have had some difficulty getting everything to run smoothly
when I attempted to use RealPlayer.

#20 Outis

Outis

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 06:13 AM

I like Clementine.

It's a continuation of the Amarok 1.4 codebase.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!