• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cryptik Hex

Cryptik Hex

elite

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:20 PM

Decided to take the plunge from Ubuntu to OpenSolaris, just to see how it is. I'll be letting you guys know in a couple days.
Wish me luck.

#2 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:31 AM

I've been using OpenSolaris as my main OS for the past two weeks. I love ZFS. The only things I dislike are the lack of multimedia apps and boot time. I love how fast linux boots up on my desktop (I ran Arch Linux before OpenSolaris). However, I love being able to add as many disks as I want to a pool to emulate a single disk. I have two 1.5gb disks that are on a single pool, so I have 3.0gb total storage.

#3 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:25 AM

I thought about installing it a few times, but I never really found a reason. I was using Linux at the time and there was no real reason to switch to a less developed and supported OS for use on the desktop. Some of the features sound really cool but unless you have a real reason for them, they're not a real big draw. So what features are liking? Are you having any specific troubles with it?

#4 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:53 AM

I'm having no trouble at all. No bugs. I'm enjoying ZFS a lot. I'll be starting school in less than a week and it'll be VERY nice to have versioned copies of all my homework, since I have Time Slider turned on. VirtualBox is sufficient for what I do (Linux C development). It'd be nice if I could run VMWare Workstation, since it has some nifty features that I could definitely use.

So, right now, my favorite features are ZFS and Time Slider. Once I get out of Linux C development into OpenSolaris devlopment (I have a few projects planned), I'll be excited to try out DTrace.

#5 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:43 AM

Well.. you could just be using Git. Not the same thing, but the end result is the same.

#6 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:44 PM

The problem with using a third-party versioning tool is that I'd have to keep track of it. ZFS has tight integration with Nautilus, which is a major plus. With ZFS, it all happens in the background. I don't have to worry about a thing. I just turn on Time Slider and ZFS takes care of the rest.

#7 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:15 AM

Any hacker desiring good luck gets it with me so...Good Luck...

I've been spotted going on my semi-tirades with Linux groupies and Linux for the sake of Linux lovers even though I run linux and appreciate it myself.

However, if there is one and only one OS that rivals my hatred of Apple OS's that is Solaris. Sorry Dude...still wish you good luck, however.

If you system program and take canonical system code for unix/linux and transplant it over to Solaris it always breaks somewhere. Perhaps it was my own bad experience that I'm generalizing upon everyone but when I took a systems programming class based on Unix/Linux we had Solaris computers to use and we always had to spend a ridiculous amount of time recoding the code in the book to get it to work with Solaris. It would work find on one's home linux box but always, always some ridiculous system variable was different or spelled slightly differently, etc. Or a call was used a little differently, etc. It was always something small that would just take down a whole program. I have all the major flavors on my linux box but I refuse to install this one.

Tell me how it went...maybe it will convice me to take a second look.

Edited by Phail_Saph, 21 August 2009 - 01:17 AM.

#8 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:24 AM

I think that would be an argument for writing portable code, not for running Linux.

#9 Spyril

Spyril

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

I've been spotted going on my semi-tirades with Linux groupies and Linux for the sake of Linux lovers even though I run linux and appreciate it myself.

However, if there is one and only one OS that rivals my hatred of Apple OS's that is Solaris. Sorry Dude...still wish you good luck, however.

If you system program and take canonical system code for unix/linux and transplant it over to Solaris it always breaks somewhere. Perhaps it was my own bad experience that I'm generalizing upon everyone but when I took a systems programming class based on Unix/Linux we had Solaris computers to use and we always had to spend a ridiculous amount of time recoding the code in the book to get it to work with Solaris. It would work find on one's home linux box but always, always some ridiculous system variable was different or spelled slightly differently, etc. Or a call was used a little differently, etc. It was always something small that would just take down a whole program. I have all the major flavors on my linux box but I refuse to install this one.

Solaris is more POSIX-compliant than Linux. Was the code in question using just the standard C libraries?

#10 trevelyn

trevelyn

mad 1337

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:03 AM

Solaris is more POSIX-compliant than Linux. Was the code in question using just the standard C libraries?

Yeah that makes sense, I have used Solaris for Years. I just put OpenSolaris on my Dell Latitude d620 (just for testing to see their laptop/driver progress) and absolutely every pieceo f hardrware worked but my shitty internal BCM43xx wifu card (NDIS wrapper worked fine temporarily). I ended up replacing the card with an Atheros card, but the NVidia drivers loaded automajically, sound, ethernet, sleep/suspend/hibernate worked, compiz was sexy as hell with Gnome, etc.

OpenSolaris kicks so much ass because those developers have their shit together. If you need good Multimedia for OpenSolaris, try the pkg's that BlastWave has to offer - XMMS, VLC, etc. http://www.blastwave.org/

Hope that helps and I am seriously amazed by the progress OpenSolaris has made on modern hardware.

#11 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 938 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 02:29 AM

hmm. ive always had good luck with open solaris but alot of people tend to say it has bad hardware support, like my dual p3 tower doesnt work at all with any linux distro yet it works fine in solaris. i currently have it multibooted on my eee with m$xp, and sidux. he was writting code using specific drivers/files in linux which is why it didnt run in solaris. but i hear you can get them to run with brandz, using a linux container but i havent quite been able to figure it out yet. the only problem i have with opensolaris is not having all the packages. it is heavy on the ram but it runs fine.

#12 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:52 AM

Yeah that makes sense, I have used Solaris for Years. I just put OpenSolaris on my Dell Latitude d620 (just for testing to see their laptop/driver progress) and absolutely every pieceo f hardrware worked but my shitty internal BCM43xx wifu card (NDIS wrapper worked fine temporarily). I ended up replacing the card with an Atheros card, but the NVidia drivers loaded automajically, sound, ethernet, sleep/suspend/hibernate worked, compiz was sexy as hell with Gnome, etc.

OpenSolaris kicks so much ass because those developers have their shit together. If you need good Multimedia for OpenSolaris, try the pkg's that BlastWave has to offer - XMMS, VLC, etc. http://www.blastwave.org/

Hope that helps and I am seriously amazed by the progress OpenSolaris has made on modern hardware.

Are you currently running VLC in OpenSolaris? I can't figure out how to get sound working with VLC. I would _LOVE_ to use VLC to play movies, but I'm stuck with mplayer right now.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!