Photo
- - - - -

How safe is Scroogle.org?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Engineering

Engineering

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:04 PM

https://ssl.scroogle.org/

Is this safer than Google? In terms of user tracking, anonymity, reliability, etc.

What do you think?

#2 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

Handing your search data over to a third party. Not wise.

#3 carwash

carwash

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 11:29 PM

What do you have to lose?

#4 lifemagnetic

lifemagnetic

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:02 PM

I just saw this and was wondering the same thing, I have been too consumed with life to bother keeping up on trends for a few years and have been just googling everything really but, what are some alternatives to just basic, day to day browsing that you guys suggest? I am aware of the typical things one can do to ensure as much general online privacy as possible should one want to put forth the effort. But I am talking just day to day browsing only, from wherever you are...home, work, library, etc...not just on some ultra-secure rig that you have tweaked out. What do you guys use? I gather you all have a pretty good idea of what's current/hot in this area. I looked around a little and have seen some alternatives but, my trust is not what is once was....and deteriorating fast. So, what's worse: the devil you know or the one you don't? Thanks to everyone who contributes and moderates on here for making this a worthwhile site, love it.

#5 phr34kc0der

phr34kc0der

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 06:17 AM

I just saw this and was wondering the same thing, I have been too consumed with life to bother keeping up on trends for a few years and have been just googling everything really but, what are some alternatives to just basic, day to day browsing that you guys suggest? I am aware of the typical things one can do to ensure as much general online privacy as possible should one want to put forth the effort. But I am talking just day to day browsing only, from wherever you are...home, work, library, etc...not just on some ultra-secure rig that you have tweaked out. What do you guys use? I gather you all have a pretty good idea of what's current/hot in this area. I looked around a little and have seen some alternatives but, my trust is not what is once was....and deteriorating fast. So, what's worse: the devil you know or the one you don't? Thanks to everyone who contributes and moderates on here for making this a worthwhile site, love it.

Its difficult. I know there are some Google fans on this forum but I am not one of them. I am not a fan of any one company holding too much information, which is a problem because Google have the best search engine. I know how to use it, it has fantastic features and my fingers automatically type "google.com" into the url bar. Since google changed the layout of their search engine i've been using duckduckgo. Check out their privacy policy.

Edited by phr34kc0der, 27 May 2010 - 06:18 AM.

#6 MrFluffy

MrFluffy

HACK THE PLANET!

• Validating
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 08:32 AM

googles shooting themselves in the foot for proper research anyway.
If you look at a subject and keep changing one of the search terms or change language of some of the words etc to catch the more obscure pages on the subject, google adapts the results to your previous searches and you dont get any of the niche info that used to pop up.
So Ive switched because theyve made it less useable, never mind privacy...

#7 Minishark

Minishark

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:09 PM

Unless you're running your own personal search engine, don't you kind of have to hand it over to a third party?

It's just a matter of which third party to hand it over to.

#8 TheFunk

TheFunk

SUP3R 31337

• Binrev Financier
  • 187 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:07 PM

I personally do a lot of work on computers at my high school and at my local library and you do bring up a good point sir. Anyway if you're looking for some privacy while browsing I recommend installing firefox-portable to a flash drive. The features list and FAQ <a href="http://portableapps....table">here</a> can probably explain better than I can. Take note, that's "some" privacy, not full privacy...hope that helps :)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!