• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nintendo1889

nintendo1889

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

Anyone know of a web service where I can punch in a telephone number and the web site can guess what type of carrier noise it is? Eg, fax or modem? Is it possible to guess based on the sound?

If there isn't, to whomever wants to build this, it might be an easy way to get cool numbers!

Edited by nintendo1889, 31 July 2009 - 10:26 PM.

#2 chaostic

chaostic

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:51 PM

Anyone know of a web service where I can punch in a telephone number and the web site can guess what type of carrier noise it is? Eg, fax or modem? Is it possible to guess based on the sound?

If there isn't, to whomever wants to build this, it might be an easy way to get cool numbers!

Easiest way to test is to setup a fax machine or fax modem and send a fax. if it was successful, it is a working fax machine, or a computer with fax software enabled.

#3 ThoughtPhreaker

ThoughtPhreaker

DDP r0x0rz my s0x0rz

• Members
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:26 AM

It's even easier to tell by the way it sounds. Just listen to the handshake; fax machines always have a certain form of modulation at the end.

Here's two you can compare with;

Fax - 252-441-2498

Modem - 254-939-9732

See? They both answer with the same tone, but the rest of the handshake is quite different. There's a few variations on it, especially with modems, but they'll tend to stay within that basic spectrum.

#4 OScoder

OScoder

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:00 AM

It's even easier to tell by the way it sounds. Just listen to the handshake; fax machines always have a certain form of modulation at the end.

Fax - 252-441-2498

Modem - 254-939-9732

See? They both answer with the same tone, but the rest of the handshake is quite different. There's a few variations on it, especially with modems, but they'll tend to stay within that basic spectrum.

Also, faxes always try to renegotiate, whereas modems just try once...

#5 chaostic

chaostic

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:06 AM

Fax - 252-441-2498

Modem - 254-939-9732

Also, faxes always try to renegotiate, whereas modems just try once...

Highly depends on the modem device and settings. I remember back in the AOL days that it would try three times.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!