• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 n3xg3n

n3xg3n

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 11:43 AM

In a few weeks I will begin my college experience at Virginia Tech (in GenEng). Are there any other members of BinRev who are or will be attending VT in the coming semester? Do y'all have an official meeting, or would you be interested in starting one? Write back so we can meet up while there. Posted Image

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:32 PM

How'd I miss this?!? I just graduated this past May!

There was an attempt to start a 2600 meeting on-campus, but I don't know if that went anywhere. The best people to contact would be the VTLUUG (VT Linux and Unix Users' Group).

#3 n3xg3n

n3xg3n

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

Damn it!

Yeah, 2600 went nowhere to my knowledge. I showed up at the time and place specified on the page and no one was there after ~30 minutes so I left. As for VTLUUG, I went to some of the meetings and idle in the channel sometime.
If you come down to visit tech, hit me up I guess. Cov's cool and all, don't know many other people though.

Anyone else? I would like to get some BR-ness going on in Blacksburg.

Edited by n3xg3n, 01 July 2010 - 04:32 PM.

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 02:13 PM

I'll be down sometime in the near future, as I've got a few big things to finish moving up, like the 19" server rack. I might also come down for the next surplus auction...if you don't know about those, it's the best place around to get just about anything for cheap. Check out http://www.purch.vt....us/auction.html

#5 tlturner

tlturner

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:03 AM

I'm originally from Roanoke and go up there a few times a year. The hacking scene is fairly nonexistent, at least it was when I lived there. I do know a few folks though that I might be able to put you in touch with. Shoot me a pm and I'll see what I can do.

#6 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 09:04 AM

I'm originally from Roanoke and go up there a few times a year. The hacking scene is fairly nonexistent, at least it was when I lived there.

Yeah, it's amazing how little hacking there is at an /engineering college/.

#7 InsaneAutomata

InsaneAutomata

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

I'm originally from Roanoke and go up there a few times a year. The hacking scene is fairly nonexistent, at least it was when I lived there.

Yeah, it's amazing how little hacking there is at an /engineering college/.

That's what happens when passion becomes a profession. All the students are too busy playing the game with the teachers, trying to ensure a high grade and internships. Eventually, everything remains theoretical with nobody actually doing things with their own creativity and hands. I have a CompSci degree and it is amazing how little my fellow students really understood computers, especially networks. This is why I work with hardware, professional programmers are the worse...programming isn't a passion but work. Disgusting. True hacking is underground and disruptive, colleges despite the image are places that are advanced conformity factories....it may seem like they are "open" but in reality they are only training you in avant-garde conformity.

#8 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:24 AM

That's what happens when passion becomes a profession. All the students are too busy playing the game with the teachers, trying to ensure a high grade and internships. Eventually, everything remains theoretical with nobody actually doing things with their own creativity and hands. I have a CompSci degree and it is amazing how little my fellow students really understood computers, especially networks. This is why I work with hardware, professional programmers are the worse...programming isn't a passion but work. Disgusting. True hacking is underground and disruptive, colleges despite the image are places that are advanced conformity factories....it may seem like they are "open" but in reality they are only training you in avant-garde conformity.

Pretty much exactly that. I learned how to implement high-level data structures and a deep hatred for Java in college, but everything else was picked up on my own. That's why I ended up switching out of CS/Engineering as a major and just kept a CS minor. I completed most of the curriculum CS majors have to do, minus the bullshit engineering stuff, and there isn't even a /class/ to explain the basics of even LAN networking. I don't think you can really get a job on the theoretical stuff you learn with a CS degree on its own, as it's certainly not practical knowledge by itself.

#9 n3xg3n

n3xg3n

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:09 AM

systems_glitch:
If you don't mind my asking, what did you switch into?

#10 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:29 AM

Interdisciplinary Studies...two minors + major-required classes + electives in a variety of fields. I found it gave me a college experience I was far more interested in than "become a code monkey in 4 years." I took quite a few STS (Science and Technology in Society) courses through the IDST department...taking the first (a study of the cultures surrounding the government atomic labs and how they viewed their work) introduced me to IDST, which I didn't even know existed before then.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!