• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:44 AM

I've decided to reinstall windows on my desktop, and set it up to dual-boot while i'm at it. So far, windows is installed and seems to be happy, and i've finally gotten the linux install working. I had issues with the debian installer, so I just fell back on slackware to at least get it working, and now i'm trying to install grub to at least get a proper boot loader working. I might still wipe over slackware with debian, but I want to get grub installed and working first.

so I download, ./configure, make, and make install grub 1.96. However, when I try to run "grub-install /dev/hda" to actually install it, grub-installer seems to freeze up. Is there something i'm doing wrong, or could I possibly be having problems with this specific version? is anyone else dual-booting using grub? what version are you using (assuming it works just fine)?

as an aside, slackware + fluxbox run very fast on this thing, especially considering i'm used to my old hp pavilion.

#2 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 12:50 AM

Are you sure that's your hard drive? SATA drives often show up as SCSI devices like /dev/sda.

#3 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:21 AM

yes, I used the slackware cd to boot into the install on /dev/hda4, so I know /dev/hda is the correct drive.

#4 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

Try passing the no-floppy flag (I don't know the exact flag but it's something like that and will be in the help). I remember reading about this a while ago and on some computers grub can hang while looking for a floppy drive that doesn't exist or that isn't being used.
  • Ohm likes this

#5 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

Try passing the no-floppy flag (I don't know the exact flag but it's something like that and will be in the help). I remember reading about this a while ago and on some computers grub can hang while looking for a floppy drive that doesn't exist or that isn't being used.

that didn't work either, livinded, but I do think I might have gotten closer to the problem.

when I run grub-install and it apparently freezes, I notice that grub-probe is also running. I decided i'd run grub-probe separately and it gets hung up, so I think grub-install is waiting for grub-probe, which is freezing.

I don't have a floppy drive anyways, so i guess i'll see if there's a no floppy argument for grub-probe.

EDIT: grub-probe doesn't have a no floppy argument. I tried running it as normal but with verbose output and it still hung up without telling me anything.

Edited by zandi, 22 July 2009 - 04:07 PM.

#6 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

Is there a way to tell grub not to probe and and just specify the actual device to install to?

#7 zandi

zandi

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:32 PM

Is there a way to tell grub not to probe and and just specify the actual device to install to?

i'll look through the documentation, grub-install might just be a script that goes through the necessary commands, meaning I could do this manually.

but at the moment i'm installing stuff on the windows install, so I won't switch back to linux for a while yet. if anyone has any ideas/experience, don't hesitate to post.

#8 mecca_

mecca_

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:57 AM

i'll look through the documentation, grub-install might just be a script that goes through the necessary commands, meaning I could do this manually.

but at the moment i'm installing stuff on the windows install, so I won't switch back to linux for a while yet. if anyone has any ideas/experience, don't hesitate to post.

That's what I would suggest, doing it manually: http://www.gnu.org/s...g-GRUB-natively

This is the way I normally do it, but you will have to set up the windows partition on your own.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!