7 replies to this topic

#1 TWSS88

TWSS88

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 04:52 AM

Verified that NetworkAddress values in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}
are being added and altered for both my non-virtual network interfaces:
NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (on MoBo)
ARRIS TOUCHSTONE DEVICE (Cable Modem)

And these new NetworkAddress values for NVIDIA Ethernet DO show as current values when I run ipconfig.exe /all
But the new NetworkAddress values for ARRIS Cable Modem are NOT showing as current values when I run arp.exe -a

ARRIS Cable Modem = Cadant Inc, and I am using the assigned 00015c OID prefix
in my new NetworkAddress value attempts (mantaining the OID, altering only the last six).
00015c does show as the prefix when I run arp.exe –a, but the last six remain unchanged.

This is on XP Pro and yes I am doing a complete power off in between attempts -- also powers off the Cable Modem.

Shouldn’t this ARRIS Cable Modem be seen with the new value?
How to do this?

Thanks

#2 darkstar

darkstar

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:30 AM

Try using one of these tools.They All work Pretty well

http://www.gorlani.c...p/macmakeup.asp
http://www.irongeek....acs-mac-spoofer
http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/
http://ntsecurity.nu...ox/etherchange/

Personally I prefer etherchange

#3 TWSS88

TWSS88

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

Thanks darkstar,
I should have said that I was currently trying
MacMakeUp.exe and MadMACs.exe
and I believe they both use registry settings.
I'll check out the others.

Anyone,
Is there any point in changing ALL of these:
Host Name, IP Address, and both MACs (both Physical Addresses)?
Or would some of these be redundant?

Thanks

#4 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

not if your sitting at your own house and have a router as it wont make any difference at all as the external ip will still be the same. but if your going to go cracking wep/using random hotspots the mac/name will be different and show that its a different computer.

#5 robo_geek

robo_geek

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

Verified that NetworkAddress values in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318}
are being added and altered for both my non-virtual network interfaces:
NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet (on MoBo)
ARRIS TOUCHSTONE DEVICE (Cable Modem)

And these new NetworkAddress values for NVIDIA Ethernet DO show as current values when I run ipconfig.exe /all
But the new NetworkAddress values for ARRIS Cable Modem are NOT showing as current values when I run arp.exe -a

ARRIS Cable Modem = Cadant Inc, and I am using the assigned 00015c OID prefix
in my new NetworkAddress value attempts (mantaining the OID, altering only the last six).
00015c does show as the prefix when I run arp.exe –a, but the last six remain unchanged.

This is on XP Pro and yes I am doing a complete power off in between attempts -- also powers off the Cable Modem.

Shouldn’t this ARRIS Cable Modem be seen with the new value?
How to do this?

Thanks

Not to question what you're doing, but the CMTS router is not going to provision a new unknown MAC address, nor would a DOCSIS CM allow the burned-in mac address to be changed from the subscriber end.

#6 TWSS88

TWSS88

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:38 AM

>>question what you're doing

We should all be questioning what the Feds are doing with the HERF weaponry that has been in development since the 1950s. And that billions that are spent on unknown technologies every year. This surveillance technology can be used against those who would harm innocent ppl. OR against anyone they see as a threat to their Absolute Power those capable of finding deeper truths. Some of the cruelest ppl in the world have dominated those most hidden groups within the US Intelligence Community. The many things they are doing to ppl with this technology, all completely invisible, are so scary that even those with first hand knowledge dont want to think about it. Enough?

Pretty simple scenario:
Feds with the proper paperwork go to cable company to find out who I have been communicating with. Cable company easily folds to show their natural but ignorant blind support for authority.

>>but the CMTS router is not going to provision a new unknown MAC address, nor would a DOCSIS CM allow the burned-in mac address to be changed from the subscriber end.
Im guessing that the CMTS router is what my modem connects to at some routing station owned by my cable company and that DOCSIS CM is its standard protocol.
OK, so even though XP can change the PC MAC that the modem sees, there is still nothing that can be done to change the modem MAC that the CMTS router sees?
Am I getting this?
Bottom line:
Anything I can do on my end so that cable companys records at least show no consistent ID on my end?
Would changing my IP accomplish anything?
Im guessing it would just look like a bunch of different PCs at my address going through the same modem.

Thanks

#7 robo_geek

robo_geek

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:57 AM

>>question what you're doing

We should all be questioning what the Feds are doing with the HERF weaponry that has been in development since the 1950s. And that billions that are spent on unknown technologies every year. This surveillance technology can be used against those who would harm innocent ppl. OR against anyone they see as a threat to their Absolute Power those capable of finding deeper truths. Some of the cruelest ppl in the world have dominated those most hidden groups within the US Intelligence Community. The many things they are doing to ppl with this technology, all completely invisible, are so scary that even those with first hand knowledge dont want to think about it. Enough?

Pretty simple scenario:
Feds with the proper paperwork go to cable company to find out who I have been communicating with. Cable company easily folds to show their natural but ignorant blind support for authority.

>>but the CMTS router is not going to provision a new unknown MAC address, nor would a DOCSIS CM allow the burned-in mac address to be changed from the subscriber end.
Im guessing that the CMTS router is what my modem connects to at some routing station owned by my cable company and that DOCSIS CM is its standard protocol.
OK, so even though XP can change the PC MAC that the modem sees, there is still nothing that can be done to change the modem MAC that the CMTS router sees?
Am I getting this?
Bottom line:
Anything I can do on my end so that cable companys records at least show no consistent ID on my end?
Would changing my IP accomplish anything?
Im guessing it would just look like a bunch of different PCs at my address going through the same modem.

Thanks

My understanding is that the mac address of the CM is part of the hardware....unless you hack the hardware, you cannot change it. If it were trivial to mod the mac address of the cable modem, you could social engineer your neightbor to give up his mac address, clone it, then hijack his CM service.

My understanding of the CMTS system is that it's a Cisco router with a list of approved MAC addresses for each node. Each node is a hundred or so subscribers. When your CM gets provisioned, they add that MAC address to the Cisco router's table, and it goes active. An unknown mac address will not give you a steady-on sync lite, since their router will refuse the connection. Unless you pay for a static IP address, you are going to get a dynamic DHCP-assigned IP address from the CMTS thru your Cable modem. Technically you could assign yourself a static IP address as long as it's on the same network and the other IP information is correct, but it's still tied to a known MAC address (yours), so there's not much anonymity in that.

#8 snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:08 AM

not if your sitting at your own house and have a router as it wont make any difference at all as the external ip will still be the same. but if your going to go cracking wep/using random hotspots the mac/name will be different and show that its a different computer.

Seriously? I voted you back up one. I don't know why you were being repped down for saying something true and relevant to the topic. I wish people would use the rating system more appropriately.

Try using one of these tools.They All work Pretty well

http://www.gorlani.c...p/macmakeup.asp

I love Mac Makeup. It's incredibly user-friendly and will even generate MAC addresses at random.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!