• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 The Philosopher

The Philosopher

The phorce is with me!

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:37 AM

I here pose a question, the likes of which may (hopefully) invoke a myriad of responses: Which *NIX clone and/or distribution of a *NIX clone is most similar in commands, features, interface, etc., to UNIX System V and why? Note: I am referring to "modern" *NIX clones and similar OSes (Linux, *BSD, etc. are a few examples) that may be run without difficulty or "kludging" on current hardware. Also and more importantly, does anyone know of any emulators upon which System V may be run/emulated? If so, which OSes may it/they be run on? Beyond these queries, this may serve as the "definitive System V thread" concerning anything and everything related to it specifically.

--The Philosopher

#2 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:44 AM

Considering System V is beyond archaic, you might have trouble with that one. You'll need to look for a real descendant, like SCO's UnixWare.

Why are these hard to find? BSD supplanted System V 30 years ago. System V systems have been dying off ever since, being replaced by BSD systems and, more recently, Linux systems.

#3 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:55 PM

There are modern descendants of SVR4 (System V Release 4) such as Sun Solaris or IBM AIX that you may want to take a look at. You can't try AIX without buying IBM hardware (there is no emulator that can do it from what I've seen online) but you can install Solaris for x86/x64 in a virtual machine or natively on your hardware. There is OpenSolaris, the open source version of Solaris, that you can take a look at. If you take a look at the source code you can find source code from SVR4.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!