#21 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:26 AM

Check out #!CRUNCHBANG Linux: http://crunchbanglinux.org/

http://en.wikipedia....runchBang_Linux

I've been using it on an old notebook and I quite like it. It's based on Ubuntu, but is really lightweight and fast when compared with most 'buntus. It uses apt for package management and uses OpenBox for a window system. OpenBox is really all the window manager you need, without all the frills of Gnome or (especially) KDE.

Another fast and light distro you might want to check out is SliTaz: http://www.slitaz.org/en/

#22 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:30 AM

Nice...anybody that links to the Pirate Bay torrent index is cool with me. Therefore, out of principle, I saw try them out.

#23 AlexZ

AlexZ

elite

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:15 PM

If you want an optimized system, you can try with Gentoo. A very good distro, but is mantainement is too hard...
But you can install ArchLinux,that is a very good distro that has a powerful package-manager like pacman and with it you can simple modify your distro as you want!! ;)
Have a look here for more info!!
Here

#24 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:32 PM

Gentoo on a netbook would be terrible. Compiles of larger things would probably take 24 hours or longer.

#25 chaostic

chaostic

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:04 PM

Gentoo on a netbook would be terrible. Compiles of larger things would probably take 24 hours or longer.

Of course, the first install should be cross-compiled on a better desktop. Everything else wouldn't be a problem.

#26 oc3

oc3

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:30 AM

If I could offer my two cents; I think xubuntu would be what you are looking for. The xfce desktop has enough of what you need and is not a resource hog like Gnome or KDE(no offence to anyone on here). I installed xubuntu (standard desktop xubuntu not NBR with XFCE ) on my netbook via the flashdrive method and everything works like a charm. It was all up and running out of the box (with the minor exception of codec installation ect) but wireless ran without any tweaking,scripts or fooling around with mad-wifi. I say give it a try.

#27 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:38 PM

I'm currently running Xubuntu on my netbook, a Dell Mini 910. It works great, but I've been thinking of switching to Crunchbang to save space. My netbook has only an 8 GB solid-state drive, and while Xubuntu takes up a little over 3 GB, Crunchbang fits into about 2.5 GB. It also seems to run a bit faster than any of the *buntus.

Posted Image Protip: If you need to optmimize disk space on a *buntu installation, uninstalling OpenOffice will free up about 400 MB of disk storage. 

#28 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:26 PM

can always just do eeedebian for the madwifi drivers + lot lighter weight than debian + just as easy to install + its less incorporated then ubuntu + you can have any wm you want you dont have to download any different iso/dist just to get xfce. also you may want to upgrade to 4gb of ram if its supported.

#29 intimidat0r

intimidat0r

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:34 PM

can always just do eeedebian for the madwifi drivers + lot lighter weight than debian + just as easy to install + its less incorporated then ubuntu + you can have any wm you want you dont have to download any different iso/dist just to get xfce. also you may want to upgrade to 4gb of ram if its supported.

What the hell? You don't have to download a different iso or distro to get xfce.

#30 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:03 AM

i was poking fun at people being lazy and downloading kubuntu, ubuntu, xubunutu, to get kde, gnome; whatever just cuz their to lazy to do it themselves.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!