• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 criticalmass

criticalmass

mad 1337

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:53 PM

Hey guys I was wondering what linux distro do you think is best for the netbook. I was running Linux mint but for some reason it kept fucking up. and I tried the ubuntu for the netbook and i really didnt like it. any other suggestions

#2 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 03:58 PM

I just run normal Ubuntu. Gnome is not that snappy, but it works. I usually go for the solution that includes the least amount of work, and for me that's Ubuntu. I'm going to upgrade to the recent Ubuntu release, and I might consider trying Fluxbox or something, just to save some resources.

#3 criticalmass

criticalmass

mad 1337

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

yea i didnt like the ubuntu remix that they made it seemed limited to me but i could be wrong.

#4 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 03:45 AM

Limited how? As far as I know, only the interface has really changed.

#5 criticalmass

criticalmass

mad 1337

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 11:13 AM

thats what i ment.

#6 Spyril

Spyril

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 01:02 PM

thats what i ment.

There used to be a program in their repos called desktop-switcher, that allowed you to quickly switch from the Remix interface to the normal GNOME desktop. I don't know if it's still included with Jaunty.

#7 AlexZ

AlexZ

elite

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 02:56 AM

There are some very good linux's distro that was made just for netbook, some of these are:
Eeeubuntu www.eeebuntu.org
Ubuntu Netbook Remix www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook
Easy Peasy www.geteasypeasy.com
Enjoy!;)

Edited by AlexZ, 28 June 2009 - 02:56 AM.

#8 Ohm

Ohm

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 06:52 AM

There are some very good linux's distro that was made just for netbook, some of these are:
Enjoy!;)

He's already said he doesn't like these types of interfaces.

#9 0mega24

0mega24

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:55 AM

Enjoy!;)

I have tried all three of these on my EEE 1000HA and I would recomend EEEbuntu standard. Personally I can't stand the netbook remix interface, rather I just have the regular desktop with a top panel that I can minimize for screen estate. EasyPeasy turned out to be not easy at all. It had a very wierd configuration which made tweaking what I wanted a pain in the arse. EEEbuntu standard however gives you what you need to start out and nothing else. Wifi and the CPU throteling worked right out of the box and Ive been using it for the last few months with no problems (except for the ones I caused myself by messing around with the internals ).

Consider getting gnome do or hotkeying a terminal. I personally can't stand touchpads so I opt to use them as little as possible.

(I don't remember if the EEEbuntu standard comes with the remix interface or not. But you can get rid of it by going into your sessions dialogue and setting the remix application and maximus to not run on startup. I do not think it does tho. )

Edited by 0mega24, 03 July 2009 - 09:56 AM.

#10 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 07:12 PM

if u have a asus eee you can use debian and just install the kernel (you can download from asus website for all the drivers) from their .deb package. it would probably have better support than using madwifi and whatever.

#11 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 03:14 PM

DSL (Damn Small Linux)

I use it on all my crappy old pentiums, pentiumIIs, etc. systems. It is also my penetration testing OS.

I love Linux...command line; although DSL has a nice simple interface to make things easier.

The only thing you might or will have a problem is getting the drivers and such...this is real school Linux so you would have to go out and get device drivers the old fashion way rather then having them plug-n-play like most Linux distros these days. But all the basics are there, network drivers, screen, I/O, etc. so it will boot up for you.

The cool thing is that if you set it live to a thumb drive, change your bios to boot from thumb drives, you can test it without doing any major modifications on your system.

The base package is only 50 megs...can you believe that? I think the latest Fedora 11 to get the full package is like two DVD's. You can get a 'skimpy' one that fits onto a CD rom...that goes to show of much Linux is de-evolving towards M$.

-----Phail_Saph-----

#12 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 04 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

DSL (Damn Small Linux)

I use it on all my crappy old pentiums, pentiumIIs, etc. systems. It is also my penetration testing OS.

I love Linux...command line; although DSL has a nice simple interface to make things easier.

The only thing you might or will have a problem is getting the drivers and such...this is real school Linux so you would have to go out and get device drivers the old fashion way rather then having them plug-n-play like most Linux distros these days. But all the basics are there, network drivers, screen, I/O, etc. so it will boot up for you.

The cool thing is that if you set it live to a thumb drive, change your bios to boot from thumb drives, you can test it without doing any major modifications on your system.

The base package is only 50 megs...can you believe that? I think the latest Fedora 11 to get the full package is like two DVD's. You can get a 'skimpy' one that fits onto a CD rom...that goes to show of much Linux is de-evolving towards M$.

-----Phail_Saph-----

yeah but isnt dsl pretty unstable? mabey its just my p3 craptop with 256mb of ram. have to use dsl because everything else crashes the video card even if its the same fluxbox wm, but whenever it doesnt power down right i always have to reinstall because it doesnt unmount cleanly and it doesnt work when try to force mount. mabey the new version works better? idk.

#13 Freed.Info

Freed.Info

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Banned
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 05:00 PM

I haven't had too many problems with DSL. The only thing that is weird is like you were saying about the video. It doesn't same to detect video so well, automatically, but it gives you a choice on bootup and you just experiement and pick the right resolution.

Have you tried to install it on your harddrive? If so do you have the same problems?

#14 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:38 AM

Puppy linux?

It's about a 100meg OS that looks nice and has the functionality of all the new stuff.

http://www.puppylinux.org/home

Edited by R4p1d, 08 July 2009 - 12:40 AM.

#15 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:02 AM

I haven't had too many problems with DSL. The only thing that is weird is like you were saying about the video. It doesn't same to detect video so well, automatically, but it gives you a choice on bootup and you just experiement and pick the right resolution.

Have you tried to install it on your harddrive? If so do you have the same problems?

thats where i was getting the problems like the cd works fine, but the laptop has a 40 gig hdd with no os on it so dont want to boot from cd rom. but from the cd rom i can mount/unmoun and doesnt matter at all it works good, it worked fine apt worked good and everything. was only using like 16mb of ram acording to the background thing. but yeah its pretty wierd that ir it doesnt crash the video card even if use the same window manager.
could even max out 1280-1280 24bit and didnt crash it for debian google said to use 8bit but still crashed it. aparantly it needs 16mb of video ram for debian idk. dont want to use the cd rom because i ripped the laptop out of the plastic because the screen and keyboard was broken so its basically a mini tower now, as it had a static shield all the way around everything, accept now the cd rom just sits in the plug instead of having support.

#16 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:11 AM

thats where i was getting the problems like the cd works fine, but the laptop has a 40 gig hdd with no os on it so dont want to boot from cd rom. but from the cd rom i can mount/unmoun and doesnt matter at all it works good, it worked fine apt worked good and everything. was only using like 16mb of ram acording to the background thing. but yeah its pretty wierd that ir it doesnt crash the video card even if use the same window manager.
could even max out 1280-1280 24bit and didnt crash it for debian google said to use 8bit but still crashed it. aparantly it needs 16mb of video ram for debian idk. dont want to use the cd rom because i ripped the laptop out of the plastic because the screen and keyboard was broken so its basically a mini tower now, as it had a static shield all the way around everything, accept now the cd rom just sits in the plug instead of having support.

It doesn't sound like you installed it on your hard drive right? I had a little difficulty in understanding what you did...but just in case once you load DSL from your ROM do this: right click mouse->Apps->Tools->Install to Hard Drive...after you do this you can free up your CD Rom and use the system with all 40gigs to the max...hope that helps.

-----Phail_Saph-----

#17 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:31 AM

[quote name='Phail_Saph' date='08 July 2009 - 12:11 AM' timestamp='1247033476' post='342152']
[/quote]

It doesn't sound like you installed it on your hard drive right? I had a little difficulty in understanding what you did...but just in case once you load DSL from your ROM do this: right click mouse->Apps->Tools->Install to Hard Drive...after you do this you can free up your CD Rom and use the system with all 40gigs to the max...hope that helps.

-----Phail_Saph-----
[/quote]
i just isntalled it before even booted, just parted the drive, installed it works fine if i shutdown the correct way like use halt in bash, but if someone presses the powerbutton (parents if its turned on and im not home) it freaks out and cant mount because it wasnt unmounted cleanly before.
so i have to reisntall everytime its not "shutdown" life if hit thwe power button on the mobo, or accidentally hit the switch on powerstrip.

#18 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:41 AM

[quote name='dinscurge' date='08 July 2009 - 12:31 AM' timestamp='1247038285' post='342161']
[quote name='Phail_Saph' date='08 July 2009 - 12:11 AM' timestamp='1247033476' post='342152']
[/quote]

-----Phail_Saph-----
[/quote]
i just isntalled it before even booted, just parted the drive, installed it works fine if i shutdown the correct way like use halt in bash, but if someone presses the powerbutton (parents if its turned on and im not home) it freaks out and cant mount because it wasnt unmounted cleanly before.
so i have to reisntall everytime its not "shutdown" life if hit thwe power button on the mobo, or accidentally hit the switch on powerstrip.
[/quote]

Oh...I see...that happens to me too. What you have to do is change to the root user so the command would be: su root.
It will prompt you for your password, enter it in. Then mount your hard drive back: mount -n -o remount ,rw /
Those commands are weird but you have to input it exactly. Then reboot. You shouldn't have to install again. At worst you have to run its check disk program. But it will tell you.

-----Phail_Saph-----

#19 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 929 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:47 AM

Oh...I see...that happens to me too. What you have to do is change to the root user so the command would be: su root.
It will prompt you for your password, enter it in. Then mount your hard drive back: mount -n -o remount ,rw /
Those commands are weird but you have to input it exactly. Then reboot. You shouldn't have to install again. At worst you have to run its check disk program. But it will tell you.

-----Phail_Saph-----

hmm i dont remember getting to a command line just it saying all it didnt mount right and nothing happen, o well its worth a try

#20 radio_phreak

radio_phreak

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:29 AM

As Ohm said Ubuntu is just fine for a netbook if you just want it working. I personally have installed all number of OS' on my Netbook ranging from Debian to Arch and after the inital kerfuffle of getting it working it's all run fine. Ubuntu wise though I recommend Fluxbuntu or Xubuntu (my preference is Xubuntu which uses XFCE).

HTH

RP

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!