• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Retro-Starr

Retro-Starr

What number are we thinking of?

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:39 PM

I'm wondering how to turn on (correctly) the lights on my laptop. My laptop has red/blue button for wifi and red/white for the touchpad. My problem is that the wifi is always red even when connected throwing me off when attempting to setup the connection (have to test with iwlist); the touchpad won't turn off when you hit the button (turning it to red).

If it's anything I'm using Arch linux and I seached for this, but came up nothing.

#2 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:53 PM

I'm wondering how to turn on (correctly) the lights on my laptop. My laptop has red/blue button for wifi and red/white for the touchpad. My problem is that the wifi is always red even when connected throwing me off when attempting to setup the connection (have to test with iwlist); the touchpad won't turn off when you hit the button (turning it to red).

If it's anything I'm using Arch linux and I seached for this, but came up nothing.

You need to find the drivers for the brand of laptop to get those lights working. I had to do the exact same thing with my Aspire One.

#3 Retro-Starr

Retro-Starr

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:41 PM

I did a search and it gave me stuff from the ubuntu forums, in it they solved it via ndiswrapper. I'm using ath5k to get wifi, not ndiswrapper. What do I search exactly? I did "Compaq Presario CQ50 wireless switch".

#4 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

The wifi LED on my Aspire One didn't do anything with the ath5k drivers using the stock wifi card. I switch in an Intel Pro/Wireless 3945ABG card, and now the LED not only turns on when the card connects to stuff, but blinks when the wireless card is moving data. I'm not sure if it's a hardware thing, or the driver for the particular card. As I'm also using Arch Linux, I'd guess it's probably driver-related.

#5 teh l33t tj

teh l33t tj

Gibson Hacker

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:19 PM

On my toshiba there is a setting in the bios that allows you to turn off all of the lights on the deck. If you can't get a software fix you could always just disable them. That would be a quick fix.

#6 Retro-Starr

Retro-Starr

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:19 PM

They're already shown to be "off" so I don't think it really matters, but thanks for the tip!

The command to check which hardware I have eludes me right now...but I do know it can work because it turns blue for a breif moment at bootup.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!