14 replies to this topic

#1 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

As usual, when a new version of OpenSolaris comes out I make a thread for it

The biggest difference with 2009.06 is that there is (finally!) a SPARC version. It looks like I will be able to install OpenSolaris on my Sun Fire v100 after an OpenBoot Prom update :)

In the meantime, I have installed it in VirtualBox:

Posted Image

http://www.opensolaris.org/os/

» Network Virtualization with Crossbow
» Turn any host into a SCSI target with COMSTAR
» Host virtual guests using xVM Hypervisor or LDoms
» SPARC® support for Distro Constructor, Auto Install, and Snap
» Intel Xeon 5500 processor support with deep power management
» MySQL and PHP DTrace Probes in the WebStack
» Improved usability of the package management system
» ZFS Time Slider Snapshot Management
» Contribute new applications with SourceJuicer
» Get 24/7 support with OpenSolaris Subscriptions

Again, you can order a free OpenSolaris install disk here.

Download the iso here. Make sure not to download the Auto Install version unless you know what it is.

#2 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 07:18 PM

I installed it on my desktop last night. I love ZFS and dtrace. I'm excited for dtrace to come to linux. The only problem I encountered is that sound doesn't work. I have to be able to watch Burn Notice on my desktop, so no sound was a deal breaker. Maybe I'll install it on my laptop instead. The problem is that my laptop contains many gigabytes of data that I hesitate to backup on a removable drive.

#3 xcalibur

xcalibur

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:34 PM

On order, but I don't know when I'll get to play with it.

#4 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:50 AM

I installed it on my desktop last night. I love ZFS and dtrace. I'm excited for dtrace to come to linux. The only problem I encountered is that sound doesn't work. I have to be able to watch Burn Notice on my desktop, so no sound was a deal breaker. Maybe I'll install it on my laptop instead. The problem is that my laptop contains many gigabytes of data that I hesitate to backup on a removable drive.

What does the Device Driver Utility says for your sound card? (Applications->System Tools->Device Drive Utility)

#5 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:27 AM

I didn't know, but there is now an ARM port being worked.

Review 1
Review 2

#6 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 10:32 PM

Okay, after the few roadtrips I'm going on in these next months, I'm definitely going to install OpenSolaris. This is why.

#7 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

yay! lols been waiting to see if i can get opensolaris on my eee, and they actually ported 8.11 to sparc64 a while ago guess a post would have been nice :o

#8 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

lols again they ship way faster than they need to, i ordered it friday and it got here saturday. it actually worked on my eee for everything accept ironically the atheros ethernet, but the wifi works fine, and according to the driver utility i can double the ram again and get 4gbs.

#9 invalid_route

invalid_route

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:16 PM

Free cd ordered...also grabbed the install image for Sparc, wonder how it'll perform on my U10 compared to Debian

#10 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:58 AM

Free cd ordered...also grabbed the install image for Sparc, wonder how it'll perform on my U10 compared to Debian

Yeah, I didn't have the time to install the new SPARC version on my Sun Fire v100. You'll need to do a network installation, you can't install straight from the CD. To do the network installation you'll need to set up a server running... OpenSolaris 2009.06 and nothing else. I'll use my laptop as the install server when I'll have the time. Other people from #opensolaris said they simply made a virtual machine in virtualbox, used a bridge, and used the virtual machine as the install server.

#11 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:19 PM

Yeah, I didn't have the time to install the new SPARC version on my Sun Fire v100. You'll need to do a network installation, you can't install straight from the CD. To do the network installation you'll need to set up a server running... OpenSolaris 2009.06 and nothing else. I'll use my laptop as the install server when I'll have the time. Other people from #opensolaris said they simply made a virtual machine in virtualbox, used a bridge, and used the virtual machine as the install server.

Oh and don't forget to update your OpenBoot Prom to version 4.18

#12 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 06:13 PM

i have a random question about duelbooting lols. well i tried on my netbook as opensolaris only needs 1 part so all i would have to do is use the second part (out of 4(the D:\)) which was like 60gb, i mean there isnt much that can go wrong with the installer (atleast it looked like it i mean there wasnt alot of stuff i had to do) so i just installed it and it wrote grub. it saw windows but it wouldnt boot as it bricked windows but it may have been the hard drive as it crashed sometime around then (there were some bad sectors right where windows writes the bootloader/system files) so it may have not been solaris so i am going to try again when i get my netbook back. solaris booted fine though.

#13 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:46 AM

i have a random question about duelbooting lols. well i tried on my netbook as opensolaris only needs 1 part so all i would have to do is use the second part (out of 4(the D:\)) which was like 60gb, i mean there isnt much that can go wrong with the installer (atleast it looked like it i mean there wasnt alot of stuff i had to do) so i just installed it and it wrote grub. it saw windows but it wouldnt boot as it bricked windows but it may have been the hard drive as it crashed sometime around then (there were some bad sectors right where windows writes the bootloader/system files) so it may have not been solaris so i am going to try again when i get my netbook back. solaris booted fine though.

Just boot from your Windows install CD, and re-write the bootloader at the beginning of your Windows partition. Make the OpenSolaris GRUB chainload it and it should work.

#14 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 937 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

Just boot from your Windows install CD, and re-write the bootloader at the beginning of your Windows partition. Make the OpenSolaris GRUB chainload it and it should work.

hmm yeah probably just have to figure out how to re write the boot loader without the setup disk as the one for eee doesnt give any options, it will just repart the drive and install everything. mabey the win 7 startup repair recovery thing will work.

#15 lattera

lattera

Underground Shizzleness

• Members
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:31 PM

I'm building KDE4 on my laptop right now. If it works and is relatively bug-free, I'm going to see about OpenSolaris on my desktop.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!