Photo
- - - - -

New Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: New Operating Systems

Which OS are you most excited about?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 meandmine

meandmine

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:26 AM

You forgot Mandriva, Gentoo or Slackware. All excellent distros in their own right.

Also BeOS and Plan9.

Actually, Plan9 (which I've never heard of) seems really interesting.

#42 meandmine

meandmine

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:37 AM

I remember Plan9 now. There is a port that has taken it to new levels.

Inferno. Nice, in it's own way.

http://www.vitanuova...erno/index.html

#43 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:02 PM

I voted for FreeBSD 7.2, but I'm excited about 8.0.

http://ivoras.sharan...d/freebsd8.html

- GCC has been relicensed under GPLv3, so FreeBSD is switching to the BSD-licensed CLANG+LLVM compiler infrastructure, which I think is very interesting.
- Parallel port builds
- procstat: A process inspection utility
- DTrace

That actually does sound quite interesting, thanks for the heads up. I wonder is OS X will also move away from GCC?

Edit: Did some googling and it looks like this is exactly what apple is doing http://lists.apple.c...l/msg00974.html (ditching gcc for clang and llvm)

Edited by livinded, 22 July 2009 - 03:08 PM.

#44 Andre van dem Helge

Andre van dem Helge

mad 1337

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:09 PM

I refuse to buy Apple products, I am not satisfied with Microsoft Windows and all the new Linux distros will instead of including a well-designed desktop called KDE 3.5 will instead include a buggy-beta quality desktop that is called KDE 4. It is so bad the there are features and functions present in the old version that are not in the new version!

So I am not happy with any new OS. I suppose for text-based systems I can continue using the newer distros but for GUI systems I will be sticking with openSUSE 11.1 for the foreseeable future.

#45 livinded

livinded

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

I've been using KDE since the 3.0 days and am extremely satisfied with KDE 4. KDE 4.0 of course was buggy but was never meant to be used by the public as it was. But since 4.1 was released it's been pretty stable and had a lot of the necessary features. With KDE 4.3 coming out in the next few weeks most of the actual KDE libraries will not be pretty much there and KDE will be pretty much on par featurewise with KDE 3.5 (aside from a few apps which have still not been finished porting yet eg. KDevelop and K3B)

#46 *Legion*

*Legion*

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:56 PM

I'm probably most "excited" for Windows 7, even though Windows ranks below Linux and OS X in terms of how much I use them.

But it's the level of improvement that makes it exciting. I've been using the Windows 7 RC and it's a direction Microsoft has needed to take for a long time: more lean, less cruft.

Snow Leopard is a refinement of Leopard, which in itself wasn't greatly different from Tiger.

Ubuntu is my main OS, at work and at home. The poll lists Ubuntu 9.04 which is already here (and which I'm using as I type this). But if we consider vote for Ubuntu 9.10... I don't see anything major on the immediate horizon. The transition from HAL to DeviceKit will get started. That's mildly exciting.

But Windows 7 walks away with the vote as it's likely the only one that will be significantly (arguably) different from the previous iteration. And most important, that significant change is being given to the OS most in need of it. :)

#47 silentrogue

silentrogue

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 05:26 AM

Says a lot when the majority of users on a computer savvy website voted for Windows. hehe
I voted Ubuntu..mainly cause Mints based off it.

#48 electricme

electricme

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 02:10 AM

Hello all,
I was browsing BinRev and came across this most interesting web page on operating systems.

For some years I have been looking for a bootable CD where I could just put it in the tray, close it and get it to boot with out any hassels, I am not talking about the XP or 2000 setup CDs, but a tool CD.

Lets go back a bit to the old DOS days, just 1 floppy disk could do this and one could take the floppy to another PC and it would work about the same.

Since MS$ decided to do away with bootable floppies, I have been lost until now.
Years ago it was very easy to make a bootable floppy, format it with the S switch and you had a bootable disk, put a range of the usual programs on it and you had a floppy you could do some really good work with to get a non functioning PC up and running again.
If you forgot to include the /s switch, just type in SYS <drive> and that drive / floppy became bootable.

Since Bill shut the gate, unless you knew how to make a bootable CD, you were history unless you knew Linux and had a broadband connection.
Others came along with their complex-complicated way/instructions, you had to go to this website or that website, download this or that, in other words, jump through heeeeeeps of hooooooops making this software or that software, some sites wer'nt acesable anymore, it became just far too difficult for this older bloke.

I emailed several of these people explaining how intimmedating it all was becoming, but to 99% of them, they didn't think of the hurdles one has to jump over.

In my book, a software program needs to be very simple to make and use if you want it to get major coverage, think about this a moment, all of you reading this will grow older, there will become a time when delving around the insides of software will become just too much trouble, and it will happen as this is human nature.

I came across ReactOS about a month ago, here http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html
downloaded it, made the .iso file and burnt the CD.
It was "simple and easy to do"

I had a Laptop here that has no Hard Drive, all I wanted was to see if this ReactOS could boot the laptop, and it did.
ReactOS loaded itself into RAM only, and it is fast.
It has the GUI interface, and the mouse arrow as well, no doubt "other" software utilities could run on ReactOS also, but I am happy to see my laptop fire up.

Sooooo I guess ReactCD gets my vote today anyway, it hasnt all the bells and whistles that all the other bootable CDs have, but who cares at this time, they will come.
ReactOS also was designed to be a standin for XP so all those programs which run on XP could be run on ReactOS instead of XP.

So I guess I got my bootable CD at long last, no more havin to put the knobbled XP CD in the drive and dont press the R to recovery key or it will break the OS.

The great part, this ReactOS is just 33 megs in size, a bit bigger that a floppy disk, but I believe it to be the smallest around about now, and it was just a single file to download, save and burn.

Edited by electricme, 12 October 2009 - 02:17 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!