Photo
- - - - -

New Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: New Operating Systems

Which OS are you most excited about?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 xcalibur

xcalibur

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:54 PM

Just curious. There's a lot of buzz around about these lately so I figured I'd see where Binrev stands.

#2 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:17 PM

I know that I will probably be executed for this but the greatest OS in history is XP professional SP3.

The whole XP line was great. Vista of course sucks but Windows 7 is going back to the XP paradigm which anyone who has played around with the betas know.

I can't wait for it to come out.

M$ gets knocked for its stuff and rightfully so but XP was an exception.

-----Phail_Saph-----

#3 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:42 PM

Clearly the best was Windows 95. Don't you miss 3 reboots a day?

As for XP, it was received pretty badly at first. Pre-SP1, XP was quite buggy. Also, for the time it was resource heavy, so a lot of people complained they couldn't run it on their current machines. I always got a chuckle when people bashed Vista, yet praised XP which had similar problems at the start. Of course people were willing to bite the bullet since the alternative was Windows 98 (or for the enlightened few, Windows 2000). Now, you have XP which works and is stable, so you can sit back and poo Vista all you want.

I've also had no problems with Vista. If you have a fast enough machine, there's just not much to complain about. It works, what more do you want?

As long as you're listing future OSs, why not list Ubuntu 9.10?

#4 IndexPhinger

IndexPhinger

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 02:03 AM

what can I say? I liek bill gates hot, sexy os.

#5 G-Brain

G-Brain

mad 1337

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:06 AM

I voted for FreeBSD 7.2, but I'm excited about 8.0.

http://ivoras.sharan...d/freebsd8.html

- GCC has been relicensed under GPLv3, so FreeBSD is switching to the BSD-licensed CLANG+LLVM compiler infrastructure, which I think is very interesting.
- Parallel port builds
- procstat: A process inspection utility
- DTrace

Edited by G-Brain, 13 June 2009 - 05:08 AM.

#6 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:21 AM

I've read some things about LLVM, and it all looks very promising. Maybe the reign of terrible compile times and quirkiness of GCC will soon be over? It's especially interesting to hear that an entire distro can be compiled using this new compiler as well. Why don't you try it out and tell us what you think once it's released?

#7 phr34kc0der

phr34kc0der

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 05:52 AM

Ubuntu 9.04 isnt new :blink:

#8 G-Brain

G-Brain

mad 1337

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 12:13 PM

I've read some things about LLVM, and it all looks very promising. Maybe the reign of terrible compile times and quirkiness of GCC will soon be over? It's especially interesting to hear that an entire distro can be compiled using this new compiler as well. Why don't you try it out and tell us what you think once it's released?

I plan to do that, yes :)

#9 prick

prick

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:22 PM

Clearly the best was Windows 95. Don't you miss 3 reboots a day?

I miss the 95 viruses, I could appreciate it when my cd-rom drive opened and burped at random intervals, I feel cheated nowadays with just getting my card number stolen, I'm getting nothing in return.

#10 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:35 AM

You should have put OpenSolaris 2009.06 (it just came out) instead of Solaris 10 which has been released for a while already.

#11 xcalibur

xcalibur

• Members
  • 352 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:33 AM

Sorry for the misprints on version numbers.

All in all, I'm pretty surprised to see no love whatsoever for Fedora 11. But if I could vote, I woulda put Win7.

#12 L33T_j0sH

L33T_j0sH

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:22 PM

I am usually not a big fan of Windows. Or Microsoft at all for that matter. But I have been using the Windows 7 beta as my main operating system and I am very pleased. I usually hate getting drivers for my computer. But as soon as I installed it and turned it on, it had all the drivers downloaded and was installing them. It was awesome. XD

Also, Microsoft is going to revolutionize gaming when Natal is released. I just hate to see what the price is going to be on that thing.

#13 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

Microsoft is really upping their game.

#14 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:44 PM

m$ because there wasn't an opensolaris vote. but win 7 is pretty cool. liked the iso burner program they added even though its not really needed just the option to make sure it wrote correctly is nice.

#15 army_of_one

army_of_one

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

For desktop, I just keep it simple and use WinXP for most stuff. Sometimes Ubuntu or OpenBSD for specialized tasks. My main interests in OS's right now are Separation Kernels. I've been building quite a lot of crypto designs on top of them, for desktops and embedded. So have manufacturers. These things aren't perfect, but I can use them to protect Confidentiality and Integrity of my system building blocks. Say, a private key never leaves its Cell. So, which newer OS's do I like?

Green Hills INTEGRITY (with Padded Cell virtualization): rated at EAL6+ and survived NSA pen-testing. VMM is user-mode, too.

OKL4 Microkernel w/ User-mode Linux: open-source, ~15KLOC hypervisor in many HTC phones

seL4, formally verified to the code, is due out soon. Spec is done, and code will be for ARM processor. I would port it to x86, but I'm not a mathematician... :( May port Nizza Architecture services to it. When I have more time. ;)

All of these let me run almost everything in user-mode, totally isolate untrusted components from trusted ones, and carefully control how each partition communicates with each other. Quite frankly, I wish I had these things a long time ago. It makes designing things like Red-Black separation, VPN's, and trusted path mechanisms so much easier. The main issues that remain are driver privileges and CPU bugs, which Core Duo has like 100+ of and Itanium over 200. Some allow hijacking. Funny thing is that I can solve either issue one alone, but not both. Not without owning a fab... for now...

#16 MrGreggie

MrGreggie

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

I voted for Ubuntu cause I'm an Ubuntu fanboy like that, but I think Windows 7 seems very promising. I just wish MS would ditch all of that DRM stuff.

#17 blackbox.fl

blackbox.fl

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 09:35 AM

Wow, the poll results left me speechless!

Windows 7 has a lot of enthusiasm behind it here on BinRev.

I picked 'Other'. The reason being is that even though I am enthusiastic about eventually learning the in's and out's of Free/Open-BSD, I've not put in much time to do so, yet. However, I rather like Debian, only because of the easiness of Aptitude for installing and removing software. I'm not really fan-boy'ish towards any distro./OS any more than any other - and I just started using Debian a couple months or so back.

I'd like to develop my own personal micro-distro of Debian, custom tailored to what I like and what I most commonly use. A lot of times, for all practical purposes, that means installing Fluxbox WM, and 'nixing Gnome.

#18 eth0s

eth0s

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 12:24 PM

I'm excited about Ubuntu 9.10. It's supposed to have the fix for Intel graphics drivers so I can get compositing back, I have it now but I had to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.30 plus upgrade xserver-xorg and some other junk. Plus ext4 is supposed to be default. Maybe then they'll have fixed the ath5k driver too.

I've recently become a fan of PCBSD though too. It's FreeBSD but with a KDE4 frontend. Very nice except for the UFS filesystem is a bit slower than ext4 and the bootloader has been buggy for windows. Maybe it would help not to multi-boot 4 OS's at a time. :D

#19 Freed.Info

Freed.Info

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Banned
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:07 AM

Damn Small Linux for me...

All those other flavors lost their way; they are anti-windows by pretending to be windows. Makes no sense to me.

Real Linux is about being in complete control of the machine for the lowest cost both in money and resources.

#20 Phail_Saph

Phail_Saph

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:48 PM

Just curious. There's a lot of buzz around about these lately so I figured I'd see where Binrev stands.

You might want to edit the poll to include Chrome OS...I'm curious to see how it compares against the other flavors of Linux.

-----Phail_Saph-----

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!