• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:36 AM

While I was surfing the interwebs I came across this. LINK Besides RF signal jamming being illegal, I was wondering if such a setup would actually work. I don't quite understand the use of the CD with the speaker wires separated from each other. I understand hes making an antenna, but was the use of the CD really necessary?

#2 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:04 AM

I expect he's using the CD to get a more ideal antenna shape. Antenna design is a black art, deviate from the plans and pay the consequences.

Another cheap device that uses these frequencies are baby monitors. Devices on these frequencies are referred to as "part 15" devices, for the FCC rule regarding unlicensed transmissions. Only a small block is allocated to these frequencies, so they all have to share. There are a lot of part 15 devices around that could be used for this purpose.

#3 chaostic

chaostic

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:19 AM

2.4ghz cordless phones. Or a microwave. Stuff that jams the wifi spectrum are plenty and widely available.

#4 eth0s

eth0s

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:50 AM

I wonder why he didn't test the results. Probably because it didn't work as well as he thought it would :D I'm guessing. The idea is clever though.

I don't see any need to press all the keys in the keypad down, dialing numbers doesn't change the strength of the signal.

One other thing I would do is use either 4.92 (full wave) inches of bare wire or 3.69 inches (3/4 wave) and I think I would prefer to fix the ends pointing in exact opposite direction like tape to the middle of a ruler and stretch each wire toward each end (di-pole style).

Then again this assumes the "jammer's" proximity to the wifi antenna to be extremely close, I would think.

Cool link anyways. Damn I sound like a geeky old ham radio guy.

Edited by eth0s, 18 May 2009 - 01:51 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!