• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Binary_Lulz

Binary_Lulz

elite

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

So to run my laptop as an ap I need to get hostapd installed. I tried doing it through yum, with no luck. I tried installing an rpm, but got told it needed another rpm, and when I googled and installed that rpm that one gave me errors...

How can I install hostapd? Or might it already be on the system? Typing sudo hostapd or man hostapd brings up nothing. I need to use the newest linux kernel to do what I want to do (hence using FC11 preview) but without hostapd I can't set up master mode, and thus can't function as an AP.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:11 PM

What happens with yum? If FC11 doesn't have a pre-built model for its package manager you might need to compile it from source to support the latest kernel.

Edited by tekio, 08 May 2009 - 02:25 PM.

#3 Binary_Lulz

Binary_Lulz

elite

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:38 PM

What happens with yum? If FC11 doesn't have a pre-built model for its package manager you might need to compile it from source to support the latest kernel.

I figured that was the issue.

I downloaded the source from http://hostap.epitest.fi/hostapd/ and cded to the directory but get this error when I ran Make:

make: cc: Command not found
make: *** [hostapd.o] Error 127

#4 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 02:45 PM

try:
export cc=gcc

#5 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 08 May 2009 - 03:45 PM

try:

export cc=gcc

That should really be done for you by the configure script.

You need to learn how to install software from source first. You need to install GCC, development packages, etc before you can even start with that. I have no idea how to do that on Fedora, but on Ubuntu you install a meta-package called build-essential that has all the dependencies you'll need. Fedora might have a similar package. You'll also need the kernel headers for your kernel. Once you have all that installed, the normal way of installing something from source is to run the configure script, then make, then make install. Make sure there are no errors at each step, though once you work through the kinks in the configure script, everything should work. See the README and INSTALL instructions in the source for any extra steps you have to take.

./configure
make
sudo make install

#6 Binary_Lulz

Binary_Lulz

elite

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:47 AM

So if I'm reading this error right, hostapd and nl80211 are working, but something else is causing an error:

(Note: Right now I'm not focused on putting a bridge or enabling DHCP or anything like that, I'm just trying to get a basic ssid broadcasting that clients can connect to... certain architectures were causing conflicts with madwifi, so I'm trying to see if these conflicts persist when using hostapd and mac80211 before adding in any additional functionality.

[songwhale@localhost hostapd]$ sudo hostapd ~/hostapd.conf
[sudo] password for songwhale:
Configuration file: /home/songwhale/hostapd.conf
Failed to set interface wlan0 to master mode.
nl80211 driver initialization failed.
ELOOP: remaining socket: sock=5 eloop_data=0x89dce00 user_data=(nil)
handler=0x807ac90

Edited by Binary_Lulz, 22 May 2009 - 11:56 AM.

#7 Binary_Lulz

Binary_Lulz

elite

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

I think I need a patch... something similar to this:

http://lists.shmoo.c.../attachment.txt

I just have no clue where to find it/how to patch it :/

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!