• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

Just ordered my Eeee PC 901. I could only get it with Windows, but I plan to wipe that and put on Ubuntu. Shouls I go with normal 9.04, or is the Netbook remix worth it?

#2 chaostic

chaostic

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

Just ordered my Eeee PC 901. I could only get it with Windows, but I plan to wipe that and put on Ubuntu. Shouls I go with normal 9.04, or is the Netbook remix worth it?

Isn't Backtrack 4 Unbuntu-based now? Use that.

Or ask around on forums.eeeuser.com

And check out the hardware mod forum. It's electronic pron. Hmm barebone usb hub internal mods...

#3 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

I think the primary difference with the netbook remix is the watered down interface. I'd just go with vanilla Ubuntu.

Tell me how the wireless works with 9.04. I had problems with 8.10.

#4 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 11:04 PM

The Remix is probably good for a SSD setup since it is small. I assume since you ordered one with Windows it has a hard drive. I would load the full blown version on that. 9.04 standard works fine on my Acer Aspire One including wireless. You might dual boot with backtrack too.

Thanks for all the good info on your site too.

#5 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,516 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:35 AM

Looks like this one comes with Windows. It only has 12gb pf storage total, so I plan to boot back track from a USB. The Super Talent Picos are great for that since they are so low profile.

#6 tekio

tekio

5(R1P7 |<1DD13

• Binrev Financier
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:17 AM

I've got a 900 with an install of Ubuntu 8.04, and it works flawlessly except ACPI is a bit flaky. It depends on which hardware the netbook has and general Linux support for it. With my 2133 I had to install the official HP SLED distro... That was just because it has a Broadcom chipset and firmware for that particular model is closed source. I'm talking about the firmware in /lib/firmware/, and not on the wireless card itself.

#7 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,516 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:10 AM

Yeah, one of the reasons I did not get a Dell a90 is because it had a Broadcom chipset. My Eee PC 901 should have an RaLink as I understand it.

#8 chaostic

chaostic

rekcah-rebÜ

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:27 PM

Yeah, one of the reasons I did not get a Dell a90 is because it had a Broadcom chipset. My Eee PC 901 should have an RaLink as I understand it.

Yea, but the a90 costs half of the 901. $199 directly from Dell. And they both can come with linux, and both have normal looking touchpads (I HATE those buttons on the side ones. So crappy)

#9 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,516 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 04:37 PM

The one I ordered came out to about the same price as the comparable Dell a90.

#10 Spyril

Spyril

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:48 AM

The Netbook Remix has better hardware support for the Eee than vanilla Ubuntu, plus it's been compiled with optimizations for the Atom. Why not install it; you can always remove the "watered-down interface" and use regular GNOME.

Edited by Spyril, 03 May 2009 - 10:48 AM.

#11 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,516 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:55 AM

The Netbook Remix has better hardware support for the Eee than vanilla Ubuntu, plus it's been compiled with optimizations for the Atom. Why not install it; you can always remove the "watered-down interface" and use regular GNOME.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Maybe the custom kernel for the atom will squeeze out more battery life.

#12 Its In My Brain Now

Its In My Brain Now

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 08:34 PM

dont bother with Netbook remix it isnt compiled for LPIA yet, just grab the jaunty LPIA (for atom cpus) in the alternate downloads. LPIA does in fact give your netbook more battery life, and def. runs cooler vs i386 releases

#13 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,516 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:18 AM

Any disadvantages to using the LPIA Kernel? Can I use the same software repositories?

#14 Its In My Brain Now

Its In My Brain Now

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:52 AM

None that I can see as of yet, and i've gone thru both distros since 8.04 (back and forth) theres a big repository for lpia and anything you dont see can convert the .deb's over pretty easy. I just have the standard stuff on mine (kismet etc.)

But everything does work outta box 99% tested for the hardware (all Fn+options cept wireless on/off) cpu throttling etc.. but the main factor was for me since dell's dont have fans internally was heat going from i386 to lpia was an easy 15degree lower and battery life seems greater.

#15 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,516 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

Thanks.

#16 mecca_

mecca_

DDP Fan club member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:24 AM

None that I can see as of yet, and i've gone thru both distros since 8.04 (back and forth) theres a big repository for lpia and anything you dont see can convert the .deb's over pretty easy. I just have the standard stuff on mine (kismet etc.)

I agree, I haven't found many packages that didn't exist in the lpia repositories except for a few oddball things that weren't in any repository. While I didn't see as dramatic of a heat\performance issue on my netbook, there was a noticeable difference in performance going from an i386 based release to lpia.

BTW, if you need to install a regular i386 package, you actually don't have to convert it, you just need to:

dpkg -i --force-architecture some-i386.deb

Edited by mecca_, 05 May 2009 - 10:27 AM.

#17 joeuser47

joeuser47

the 0ne

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

You may want to give cruncheee a shot, it's an optimized netbook version of http://crunchbanglinux.org/
I'm liking it so far, on my 900.

#18 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,516 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 12:12 PM

By the way guys, I've tested out VMWare on my 901, it runs ok when I ran the vm from and external HD, but running the VM from the internal flash is laggy as hell.

#19 Irongeek

Irongeek

Dangerous free thinker

• 1,516 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:27 PM

Ok, I got the VM running quite a bit faster now off of the internal SSD using these tips:

http://blog.loxal.ne...mance-with.html

Figured I'd share.

#20 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:20 PM

personally i would have just gone for the asus xandros iso as it has full support and is debian based so unlock the kde and its basically the same thing as ubuntu accept faster boot time full hardware support and all the hotkeys act already working.
have 904 so screwed and have to use eeeubuntu which is slower than xp, updated to 9.04 ubuntu i think.. have weird problem with sound so going to bug asus and see if i can get a xandros disk, dont have the weird static issue its just super quiet have to turn volume to max to hear it be like 1/7th the volume of windows was..

edit: using ext4 instead of ext3 to increase speed? jw didn't feel like reading as i dont have ssd.

Edited by dinscurge, 18 May 2009 - 10:21 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!