• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 screamer

screamer

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 02:39 PM

Just got this in my email, figured I'd share in case no one else has.
=================================

Important Notice: Potential Security Breach

Dear Optimum Online Subscriber:

You may be running a server from you computer and not even know it.

If you use any of the peer-to-peer file services listed below without disabling the file sharing option, the entire Internet can access the files on your hard drive. In addition, use of these services can lead to network problems that may result in your upstream speed being temporarily reduced to control this abuse of service.

Aimster, KaZaA, iMesh, Audiogalaxy, eDonkey2000, NeoModus, BearShare, Gnotella, Gnucleus, GTK-Gnutella, LimeWire, Mactella, Morpheus, Phex, Qtella, Shareaza, SwapNut, XoLoX

Don't compromise your privacy or the performance of your high-speed connection.

See http://security.uchi...fileshare.shtml for easy instructions on how to disable file sharing for the peer-to-peer programs listed above. You and other subscribers can then continue to enjoy Internet services at peak performance speeds. And you'll steer clear of violating the restriction against running servers (see Optimum Online Residential Terms of Service: http://www.optonline.net/tos.

For further protection and optimum performance, we also recommend all Internet users maintain firewall and antivirus software. See http://wwwl.my-etrust.com/cvision/ for a very special offer exclusive to Optimum Online subscribers.

We want you to stay online and stay protected while enjoying the best performance of Optimum Online high-speed Internet access.

Thank you for being a valued Optimum Online customer.

Sincerely,
Your Optimum Online Team
====================================

Notice how they consider sharing files to be a possible security breach, and that they only want to protect their customers. If they're willing to lessen your upload speed, it's obvious they want to curb file sharing as best they can. Whether it's bandwidth issues or a higher power at work, I have no clue. DSL is looking better by the minute.

#2 StankDawg

StankDawg

same old Dawg, no new tricks

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 03:00 PM

"Abuse of service"? ABUSE OF FUKKING SERVICE??? Isn't that the WHOLE FUKKING POINT OH HAVING THE DAMN SERVICE!!!

Fukking idiots. take away the service and what the fuck good is having it?

What is Next?

Mr Chaotix, we noticed that you have actually been USING your account which is a violation of our terms of service. Please stop using your account immediately but continue to pay us or we will be forced to throttle your bandwidth and raise your fees.

Sincerely,

the dumb ass fukks from Optimum Online.

:pissed: DAMN I HATE PEOPLE!! :pissed:

#3 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 03:03 PM

DSL is looking better by the minute.

technically, my DSL has the same restrictions against servers, but they don't enforce them so much. Maybe becasue DSL comes straight form the phone comapnies who cannot raise the price on themselves. They can raise the price on their lease lines to companies for exceeding bandwidth which is probably what optimum is facing.

Phone companies suck. plain and simple. All of them from A to Z. They can all sukk my hairy cock.

And that's all I have to say about that...

#4 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 951 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 03:05 PM

Dude.. peer to peer clients are a violation now?

#5 twirlz

twirlz

Default Custom Title

• 1,200 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 03:11 PM

*sarcasism* thats it i'm, deleted everything i've downloaded!! *sarcasism*

ya right!!! that fucking bullshit. like stank said i pay you for the service you are not going to tell me what to do with it!!!

#6 dual

dual

BinRev veteran

• 1,196 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 04:52 PM

Optimum is using scare tactics to dissuade the use of P2P. Why? Because they charge a flat rate, not per bandwidth used. So they scare users ("Potential Security Breach") into not using P2P to increase their profits. That's the American way.

#7 screamer

screamer

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 18 December 2002 - 04:56 PM

DSL is the same way? Damn, I thought cable was the one that wasn't "true internet access." What is one left to do?

Plus, while I think Optimum is just saving their own bandwidth, the notion of the RIAA and MPAA attempting to kill file sharing at the source has crossed my mind. But I'll save that for another day.

Right now all I care about is having unrestricted internet access. They told me having a webserver was against their terms of service because it constituted a security risk (running a server on port 81 highly, if not completely, reduces the chance of your server being compromised by a worm and therefore negates their whole point). Now they pretend to be caring for my best interests, while they're only trying to save bandwidth (and probably cut back on what they consider piracy).

Adding insult to injury, the thought of who might be monitoring my bandwidth crossed my mind, and led me to this paragraph in their terms of service.

(a) Cablevision has no obligation to monitor Optimum Online Service content. However, Subscriber acknowledges and agrees that Cablevision has the right to monitor content electronically from time to time and to disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any law, regulation or other governmental request, to operate Optimum Online Service properly, or to protect itself or its Subscribers.

In other words "We can spy on you."

#8 screamer

screamer

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 21 December 2002 - 10:29 PM

http://www.theinquir...t/?article=6818

There's a link to the story about Optimum, it finally got some notice on Slashdot.

I just increased the upload potential from 20 users to 100, so I probably won't be online for a while.

#9 Bi0s

Bi0s

Gibson Hacker

• 95 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 12:38 AM

Sorry, but they can do anything they want. when you got the service, you agreed not to run a server. using p2p is running a server.

I look to see tighter bandwidth caps soon from cable providers. going by flat rate, they aren't making much money with the p2p users eating up the bandwidth.

Anyway this service should be FREE anyway, since the data is already coming down my cable TV line. If you've got cable TV the Broadband is already there. it should be free.

#10 Zapperlink

Zapperlink

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• 951 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 01:40 AM

I vow to this... if I own a isp.. I wont give a fuck what you run.. and if I stray from this then somebody remind me.

#11 screamer

screamer

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 03:39 PM

Soon sending a file through ICQ will constitute "creating a server"

Oh, and eventually my buddy won't be able to play SoF2 on a server I create :(

Unless, of course, they're just doing what the RIAA and MPAA say...I hear they speak the language known as "greenback"

#12 StankDawg

StankDawg

• Moderating Team
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 22 December 2002 - 04:43 PM

the only TRUE international language. :( :angry:

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!