• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:13 PM

It shouldn't brick anything. XP doesn't depend of 95 once so ever. They even use different file systems. If you're that worried about it then back your data up and then do it.

how can you back up a partition you cant acces? ^_^. i deleted the win95/efi before all it did was when i started up it couldnt boot. just went to bios

I am saying back up sensitive data on the XP side. (If your not able to access that either, then just nuke it!) Then delete Win 95 and if it happens to mystically destroy your computer then just reinstall XP and load the just load back on the data.

lols i already did that like last wednsday thats why i dont want to do it again :D its mostly the couple gigabites of updates for video games i dont want to have to re download

Then where is this thread going? You have your options ;)

#22 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:15 PM

It shouldn't brick anything. XP doesn't depend of 95 once so ever. They even use different file systems. If you're that worried about it then back your data up and then do it.

how can you back up a partition you cant acces? ^_^. i deleted the win95/efi before all it did was when i started up it couldnt boot. just went to bios

I am saying back up sensitive data on the XP side. (If your not able to access that either, then just nuke it!) Then delete Win 95 and if it happens to mystically destroy your computer then just reinstall XP and load the just load back on the data.

lols i already did that like last wednsday thats why i dont want to do it again :D its mostly the couple gigabites of updates for video games i dont want to have to re download

lols i only need 1 primary for linux not 3 so i was gonna wipeout hda 2 but i dont know how to magically get it to have the logicals inside the primary or whatever that one guy said in that link i gave

#23 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

lols i only need 1 primary for linux not 3 so i was gonna wipeout hda 2 but i dont know how to magically get it to have the logicals inside the primary or whatever that one guy said in that link i gave

When your in the installation process on the distro and you come to the partitioning section you just pick the manual option and you should just be able to pick what type of partition you want to preform. OS's vary, Ubuntu isn't hard at all with its nice orangy installation guide. Debian is a bit more in depth and harder but you'll get the hang of it.

#24 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:24 PM

When your in the installation process on the distro and you come to the partitioning section you just pick the manual option and you should just be able to pick what type of partition you want to preform. OS's vary, Ubuntu isn't hard at all with its nice orangy installation guide. Debian is a bit more in depth and harder but you'll get the hang of it.

usually i get to cfsisk to partition it so i wipe out hda2 but it doesnt let me make a primary in the freespace just logical and im not sure if i could boot logical im guessing mabey? i mean i can change the boot tag on logicals aswell. i suppose i'll have to just try

#25 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

usually i get to cfsisk to partition it so i wipe out hda2 but it doesnt let me make a primary in the freespace just logical and im not sure if i could boot logical im guessing mabey? i mean i can change the boot tag on logicals aswell. i suppose i'll have to just try

Worth a try. Post back results.

#26 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

Worth a try. Post back results.

its gonna take forever cuz i have to redownload back track probably as i didnt unmout my usb cd drive on the windows before i bricked it so now it cant mount the cd drive even though dsl/knoppix/debian can, guess i'll just do a gentoo install

#27 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:34 PM

This more trouble than it's worth. Just completely repave your box, put XP with updates an services packs on and all of the misc data. Then install Ubuntu or whatever you prefer and go from there.

#28 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:37 PM

This more trouble than it's worth. Just completely repave your box, put XP with updates an services packs on and all of the misc data. Then install Ubuntu or whatever you prefer and go from there.

i cant lols, the xp disk for my eee has an automated install i cant change any partitions or anything :D

#29 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:40 PM

i cant lols, the xp disk for my eee has an automated install i cant change any partitions or anything :D

Did it come with a repair disk?

#30 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:42 PM

yeah thats how i got xp back on it after i bricked it last week it automatically does everything

#31 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:46 PM

yeah thats how i got xp back on it after i bricked it last week it automatically does everything

Delete everything besides the XP and do use the disk.

#32 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

Delete everything besides the XP and do use the disk.

yeah but xp is 3 primarys lols

#33 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

You only need 1 primary for XP though. I don't understand why you have 3 separate primary partitions for only 1 version of XP. Just Linux the whole damn thing!

#34 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 08:10 PM

You only need 1 primary for XP though. I don't understand why you have 3 separate primary partitions for only 1 version of XP. Just Linux the whole damn thing!

it actually has 4 primarys on it now but going to wipe out one of them sda2, and i cant lols intel atom is too slow to emulate win 95 to run programs that wern't designed to ever run on dos. e.g. games lol. i tried doing gentoo but it was a retarded cd that got scratched up alot right at the outer edge so it cant hold a iso so i have to write to a new disk lols. and besides not being able to play games i dont know of 170gb of linux aplications to install lols i mean i'd only use like 10-15gb. tried installing but couldn't if i used the hda2 as a primary the rest of the left over space cant be used so can only have 3 primarys.

Edited by dinscurge, 07 April 2009 - 09:59 PM.

#35 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 11:46 PM

it actually has 4 primarys on it now but going to wipe out one of them sda2, and i cant lols intel atom is too slow to emulate win 95 to run programs that wern't designed to ever run on dos. e.g. games lol. i tried doing gentoo but it was a retarded cd that got scratched up alot right at the outer edge so it cant hold a iso so i have to write to a new disk lols. and besides not being able to play games i dont know of 170gb of linux aplications to install lols i mean i'd only use like 10-15gb. tried installing but couldn't if i used the hda2 as a primary the rest of the left over space cant be used so can only have 3 primarys.

If you can't figure out how to install backtrack on a flashdrive, I doubt you need it in the first place.

Google works wonders. ;)
http://www.google.co...s=1239165827599

#36 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 05:21 AM

If you can't figure out how to install backtrack on a flashdrive, I doubt you need it in the first place.
Google works wonders. ;)

google does not work anything, it doesnt help when again linux doesnt work, wow you copy the files run the batch script your done, doesnt work. and yes i have the bios to boot removable device before the hdd

#37 phasma

phasma

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 527 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:23 PM

Google works wonders. ;)

google does not work anything, it doesnt help when again linux doesnt work, wow you copy the files run the batch script your done, doesnt work. and yes i have the bios to boot removable device before the hdd

Look into a tool that runs on Windows and Linux called "UNetbooin". It burns .iso files to flash drives. Really great tool!

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

#38 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 07:49 AM

Google works wonders. ;)

Look into a tool that runs on Windows and Linux called "UNetbooin". It burns .iso files to flash drives. Really great tool!

might have to try it lols, finally got backtrack working (it wasnt happy the flash drive was mounted by ntfs so it kept giving errors) probably gonna use unetbootin so i can get a distro that will let me customize it instead of just botting like a live cd.

#39 phr34kc0der

phr34kc0der

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 469 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:43 AM

Google works wonders. ;)

might have to try it lols, finally got backtrack working (it wasnt happy the flash drive was mounted by ntfs so it kept giving errors) probably gonna use unetbootin so i can get a distro that will let me customize it instead of just botting like a live cd.

Unetbootin wont let you customise your distro as it runs just like the live cd. If you want to customise it you have two choices. You can either recreate the lvm files (archive of the / directories) or do a persistent install. Recreating the lvm files is a lot of effort.

http://www.infosecra...-changesnessus/

I tried doing an actual install of backtrack to a flash drive but had a few problems getting a boot loader to work. The above guide seemed to work ok. The guide is a bit longer than it needs to be and some things didnt work right so this is what i did (in Linux because its easier).

1) create two partition on your flash drive. One 1G (or just under) ext2 partition which will hold the backtrack files and another partition to hold all the changes. The bigger this second partition the more changes you can make
2) use unetbootin to put backtrack 4 onto a flash drive (1G partition)
3) The guide says to edit "/boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg" but this didnt work for me. I had to edit /extlinux.cfg (i think thats what it was, i dont have my flash drive with me atm but if i'm wrong i'll edit the post). Open in a text editor and copy one of the entries and give it a new name. Add "changes=/dev/sdxx" to the boot parameters (after "rw") where sdxx is the second partition on your flash drive. In my case it was /dev/sdb2
4) boot from the flash drive. When the menu appears select the new menu option.
5) test it by creating a test file or installing some software. Reboot and select the new entry again. If it worked the changes should be kept.

In terms of the partitions you have could they be recovery partitions? I dont know why removing them would brick Windows XP but if they do i would try and go for a manual XP install. If you can get hold of a regular (i.e. not recovery) XP cd you can use your same licence and install it onto a single partition. You could then create / and swap partitions for linux no problem.

(yea, this post is a little late but i think it still might be some good info)

#40 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 936 posts

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

yeah they are recovery not sure why there is 2 of them though, i probably just selected the wrong mount points as boot has to be in the first 100mb of an drive so im sure there is a specific mount for windows as the /boot? probably going to try the new win 7 rc. didnt want to use flashdrive anyways as n270 is too slow for bt3 can only use vesakde or it crashes the intel video chipset (atleast on the flash drive i have.)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!