• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:53 AM

Posted Image

You looking for one of thoose?

cheapest I found was $9 americano.

http://www.weirdstuf...-bin/item/16001

cheers din-din

basically but i dont see the point as its a crappy fujistu 170mhz proc instead of the 110mhz t.i. so its not really supported by anything/ super buggy. idk so far it didnt work with the open bsd floppy :D

they sell sparc cpus too.

got a site where i can get KTS32000/S5 ram for the 170mhz sparc station 5? the only ones i can find are like 20-$300 perstick and yeah need 6 of them and dont want to spend $20 for a fin 32mb stick of ram

Why did you get an old SPARC server? Back in the day, they could outperform Intel PC's and run highly reliable UNIX OS's. Today, aside from the most expensive SPARC's (like T1orT2), Intel's are plenty fast and you can tons of UNIX's (Linux, FreeBSD, etc.) on them. Even Solaris is mostly targeting x86 on AMD these days... I was just wondering why you bought the old SPARC station and what you use it for? The old advantages are gone. What's left?

#22 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:59 AM

Had you dont any reading whatsoever you would have found that you need a TFTP server. Go read.

thats what i meant to say lols http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ likes this<? was just wondering for specific servers that could be recomended :P

Posted Image

#23 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 04:13 AM

Had you dont any reading whatsoever you would have found that you need a TFTP server. Go read.

thats what i meant to say lols http://tftpd32.jounin.net/ likes this<? was just wondering for specific servers that could be recomended :P

Posted Image

i will use google when i need a bs link to myspace/youtube/facebook/wikipedia.

#24 superkippah

superkippah

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 09:39 PM

What's a floppy disk?

Look into net booting. I think most Sun machines (if not all) can net boot. It'll be much easier, and isn't actually all that hard. I did this some time ago on an old SPARC workstation to get Debian installed. I think all you need to do is set up a TFTP server and.. not much more.

You do not need you own TFTP server, the installation would be a little faster, but on a machine like that bandwidth is not your problem (that's if you have it). you can just install it over the internet.

http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

Some architecture require that you have you own kernel, but not the more popular ones. that is if you going to use Debian.

#25 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:54 PM

What's a floppy disk?

Look into net booting. I think most Sun machines (if not all) can net boot. It'll be much easier, and isn't actually all that hard. I did this some time ago on an old SPARC workstation to get Debian installed. I think all you need to do is set up a TFTP server and.. not much more.

You do not need you own TFTP server, the installation would be a little faster, but on a machine like that bandwidth is not your problem (that's if you have it). you can just install it over the internet.

http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

Some architecture require that you have you own kernel, but not the more popular ones. that is if you going to use Debian.

Unless he can add a CD-ROM drive that works with his old SPARC system, he has to do it with TFTP. His machine does not come with a CD-ROM drive.

#26 superkippah

superkippah

HACK THE PLANET!

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 01:25 AM

Unless he can add a CD-ROM drive that works with his old SPARC system, he has to do it with TFTP. His machine does not come with a CD-ROM drive.

No you don't. Yes I know their ISO image and you normally burn it to a CD/DVD, but you don't have to boot it from a CD/DVD
and he was looking for a floppy image. and it might be a little big for a 1.44 -1.92MB or maybe 2.88MB.

get the image you need and extract all the files you need to install. tar them all up and then "split" them in size you can use on a floppy.
then ran a small floppy distro (if it's x86 tomsrtbt is great for this job).

format the harddrive install a bootloader. extract file to root, configure boot loader. boot.

I've done this before with an old laptop

yes this will take some time with a floppy drive or you can take out the drive and do all that on another PC then reinstall the drive.

#27 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:38 PM

dont have a fancy 80 pin scsi raid on another cpu. just going to get a 50 pin scsi cd rom.
also it is sparc 32bit so there is not really any linux support at all im sure there are some older version that will run on sparc 32 but i dont want a 10 yr old rooted os. tried the open bsd floppy but no work. so going to have to get a $9 cd rom lols

Edited by dinscurge, 13 May 2009 - 08:39 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!