• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 army_of_one

army_of_one

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 01:25 AM

I'd really like to hear some feedback here on this too. This is mainly what I want to do on my future netbook. The smaller footprint of a netbook just fits what I need, but I need it to be able to run at least one other OS in VM, 2 if I have to. Suggestions?

Well, you will be in luck. The Atom-based netbooks should only get better as far as performance goes. However, Intel's Atom Z5xx series includes VT support, which is hard-ware assisted virtualization. A few virtualization solutions, including some high assurance military systems, are built on that technology. So, it should help with the VM's. While VMWare's stuff runs faster than VT on fast processors, a VT-based solution might be quicker on Atom's. Again, though, I don't know the chip-level latencies involved during a switch. There could be some dark corners to watch out for.

#22 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 935 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:18 AM

virtual box works fine with asus 904ha with 1.99gb-ram, have used with gentoo, knoppix, debian, dsl, arch, and lepton. from live (iso), or installed on virtual hdd. using standard 256mb for dev, i think 12mb video.

#23 crackhead

crackhead

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 06:51 PM

New desktop processors have exceptional "virtualization" capabilities. Add to that most laptops cap at 4GB max; my Thinkpad's memory controller only supports 3GB. I use my desktop to run virtual macihnes and work remotely.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!