• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Gratuitous comments like this are not welcome. First, you obviously do not know Seal well enough to say things like this, he's an awesome and well respected member and has been here for much longer than you. Second, you did not even justify your silly comment. If you have nothing interesting to say, then simply do not post.

However, I agree that if dinscurge took more time to write more coherent sentences it would make it easier to read, because it is hard to read and understand correctly.

It was a movie reference.

Sorry about that, from which movie is it from?

#22 G-Brain

G-Brain

mad 1337

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:39 PM

Sorry about that, from which movie is it from?

Sorry,

http://www.google.co.....ll retarded."

Idiocracy.

#23 dragon:ONE

dragon:ONE

I broke 10 posts and all I got was this lousy title!

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:11 PM

Let me make a small suggestion:

Why not try modifying a Sprint Airave or a Verizon Network Extender? They're both those Samsung Ubicell CDMA femtocell units, but from what I've seen, they talk encrypted on an IPsec VPN setup back to Sprint/VZ for provisioning and service.

Other than that those look pretty interesting... they provide a mini cloud of CDMA 1xRTT, and supposedly via firmware upgrades not seen yet, EVDO capabilities in their chipsets. Only downside is they're GPS locked so they can't be taken abroad.

eBay's got 'em cheap.

#24 l0lcat

l0lcat

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

ok so pretty much any phone you buy now is going to have built in DUN (dial up networking) capability via bluetooth, usb, or have interenet connection sharing so that it can act as a wireless hot spot over bluetooth PAN or wifi. the only problem is that once the carrirer decides to sell a certain model they lock it down tighter than shit. in the past verizon has been really bad with locking down features that would otherwise be available in an unlocked version straight from the manufacturer. simple things like obex file push and bluetooth DUN, and serial port connectivity etc etc. this is obviously done so that people cannot share mp3's or wallpapers, screensavers, ringtones etc etc for free over bluetooth connections, so that youre forced to buy all your content from them. they would also like to charge you 4 times as much for a laptop connect card and laptop connect service which is exactly the same data you would get through your cellular phone.

with all that being said i have never had any problem with att/cingular/att again, i have always had an unlimited data plan through my phone and and have been tethering to my laptops for years and never had any problems. even the old first gen razr v3's were capable of this from cingular without any firmware, rom flash, radio version upgrade or any thrid party apps. I personally buy all my phones unlocked, and i love htc phones. i have had the tilt the cingular 3125, the htc touch diamond, and just recently the htc touch HD (which is the sickest phone on the market currently). with huuuuuge online communities like xda-develpers.com and popular rom cooks like duttythroy.net the windows mobile devices are the best thing going. so many options so may apps so many customizable features, it makes iphones look like fisher price toys.

another thing is, is that laptop connect cards will not give your laptop the fucntionality of a cell phone. you can however make calls via skype just as if you were connected to any other internet connection, but youll find that the communication manager apps for these laptop connect cards will not give you cellular calling abilities. however you can do things like talk though your computer to your phone over bluetooth. for example my htc touch HD supports A2DP,HSP,HFP,PAN,HID,OPP,BPP,FTP,SAP,AVRCP,DUN,PBAP,SPP,SDAP, and things like remote sim access so that you can access your sim contacts dial send text messages etc all over the 1mbps bluetooth 2.0 connection. thats a shitload of connectivity options available to you.

i personally like the flexibility of gsm devices simply because its super easy to change my sim card out in case i break or lose a phone i can just call att and have them activate one of my other spare sim cards and pop it in one of my other phones. i like umts handsets because they give you simultaneous data and voice connectivity, so if im running my irc client or im app in the background and i get a phone call it wont drop my data connection. 3g phones here are pretty quick but make sure if you get an unlocked phone that it supports the proper frequencies for hsdpa/hsupa frequencies otherwise you might be stuck on the slower edge or gprs connection. for example tmobiles 3g network rocks on 900/2100mhz while att rocks on 850/1800mhz, so you wont be able to take a tmobile 3g phone, unlock it and have it run properly on att's 3g network. the guys in euro are really lucking with their hsdpa connections hitting speeds as high as7.2mbps. on their phones! thats what im talking about.

but anyways if it were me i would go with a windows mobile device because of the hackability, flexibility, and slick UI especially the touchflo3d interface that htc puts out on their win mobile devices. theyre also going to generally sport better hardware specs than rim/palm/symbian/or iphones. so it leaves alot of options open to you.

#25 kkirby

kkirby

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

Wow, it's threads like this which just make people bow in shame.

So much mininfomation. Really.

I'll may post up another post in a few minutes where most of you people are wrong. Last thing needed is people like you spreading false infomation.

#26 kkirby

kkirby

SCRiPT KiDDie

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:01 PM

I'm beginning to read more about this, and I'd like to know if I can buy one of these PCMIA or USB adapters that some cellphone providers sell to access the internet using their network from your laptop, and start exploring how the network looks like. I was thinking mostly of using my laptop as my "cellphone" just for the fun of it. My cellphone provider is Telus and it uses both CDMA and EVDO (EVDO not being available everywhere in Quebec, but it is almost everywhere where I live). I'm not sure if Telus sells adapters for computers, but I can see there are a couple of very cheap ones on ebay from Alltel, for CDMA & EVDO. Does it really change something, or can I buy one from a different cellphone provider, as long as it supports the same type of network? Is there any particular card I should take a look at? Thanks.

Simple answer: IF EVDO is not available, then you go on 1x internet, max speed 24.5kpbs. Yes you can buy another PCMCIA/USB adapter from another company not Telus as long as it's CDMA. But you can not get it to work legally under Telus network because the ESN of the device will not be in their database and they will not activate it. You are not exploring the network. For the love of god, EVDO is in CDMA.

Telus should sell adapters AFAIK. If not, Look into Phone Tetering, and disable NAI. And yes it does change alot; if the ESN is not in the database, Telus will not activate.

Another thing which may be useful: My contract ends in like two months, and I'm going to buy a new phone with the new contract. My current phone is a Motorola RAZR V3C, which seems to have its own website dedicated to hacking it. I have no idea if I could install something else on it, connect it to my computer with the USB cable, and use it as a way of accessing the network.

EDIT: I moved this topic to the Phreaking section of the forums, it seems more related to that than General Hacking.

Motorola Phone tools does a good job for "Dialing" from the PC/sending txt messages. You can tether by installing drivers from your V3c and using it as a modem.

Are the adapters made by cellphone companies lock to their companies, and is it possible to unlock them if they are locked? What are the technical limitations to buying one from another company?

There's this one which is dirt cheap on eBay.

I want to take a look at the universal adapters you're talking about, do you have any model name in mind?

P.S.: I want to use my laptop as a phone, using the service I have with my real cellphone. I would maybe consider buying a data plan later, and I will be cautious not to use the internet connection provided by my cellphone provider, they charge atrocious prices.

dinscurge: My cellphone provider has a mixed CMDA and EVDO network, other companies that use GSM networks are more expensive here. I don't necessarily care about the network speed, I mostly care about accessing the network as if I was my phone, but using my laptop.

Yes these things are sold locked, with an 6 digit MSL. You need that to access internal parts of the software. You will also need more external software needed to edit them properly to load things such as the PRL, and programming. Can you unlock them; sure but if I'm having to explain this to you; you obviously have no idea how to do so. Technical limitations are the limits of your knowledge as well as software support. If you just want to use your laptop as a "phone" use fucking skype or magicjack or motorola phone tools.

There ya go. You're not hacking anything, etc etc stop the skiddie talk.

#27 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

@kkirby:

Let me rectify some things you seem to have misunderstood:

1) I'm not confusing EVDO and CMDA, I am aware that they are two separate network types. Telus provides both, wherever EVDO is available my phone will use it.
2) Okay, my thread is called "Hacking CDMA & EVDO Networks" and I'm asking how I could get my laptop working as if it was my cellphone. For that part, it isn't hacking, I understand. The reason why I want to do this is that I have full control on my laptop, and can try doing things which my phone cannot do. I guess it would give me enough flexibility to try things that Telus hasn't expected, that's where "Hacking" comes in place.
3) If you read correctly my first post, you'd realize I do not claim to be knowledgeable in any way when it comes to CDMA & EVDO networks. Guess why I made this thread? So that people could give me advice on what to learn. I am in no way looking for an easy how-to guide, I'm just looking for guidance. You seem to know a lot more than me on that, and that is very nice. However, there was a time where you did not know all that stuff. You learned it all without asking any questions? Yeah, sure.

Now, back on topic:

If the ESN can be changed, I would just use the one from my phone. I won't ask you how to do it, I'll google it.
For the adapters locked to a certain carrier with a 6-digit MSL, I guess there are certain models which have been cracked and can be unlocked. Again, I won't ask you how to do it and I'll do my own searching.

Thanks for your help even if you're not giving help in a nice way.

#28 johnnymanson

johnnymanson

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

Aghaster,

Just in case you haven't found it yet and since I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread

http://www.howardforums.com/

is a great resource for cell phone info.

#29 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

Aghaster,

Just in case you haven't found it yet and since I haven't seen it mentioned in the thread

http://www.howardforums.com/

is a great resource for cell phone info.

Thanks for the link, it looks like an awesome resource. This is definitely in my bookmarks :)

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!