• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:07 PM

I'm beginning to read more about this, and I'd like to know if I can buy one of these PCMIA or USB adapters that some cellphone providers sell to access the internet using their network from your laptop, and start exploring how the network looks like. I was thinking mostly of using my laptop as my "cellphone" just for the fun of it. My cellphone provider is Telus and it uses both CDMA and EVDO (EVDO not being available everywhere in Quebec, but it is almost everywhere where I live). I'm not sure if Telus sells adapters for computers, but I can see there are a couple of very cheap ones on ebay from Alltel, for CDMA & EVDO. Does it really change something, or can I buy one from a different cellphone provider, as long as it supports the same type of network? Is there any particular card I should take a look at? Thanks.

#2 dinscurge

dinscurge

"I Hack, therefore, I am"

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:12 PM

im not sure i've never really looked at them but as cellphone comanies are pretty greedy the device is usually locked not the simcard, so you may want search for unlocked and whatever model your looking at just to see if anything comes up. soem search showed that some uk vodaphone cards can be bought unlocked?

Edited by dinscurge, 26 March 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#3 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:44 PM

Another thing which may be useful: My contract ends in like two months, and I'm going to buy a new phone with the new contract. My current phone is a Motorola RAZR V3C, which seems to have its own website dedicated to hacking it. I have no idea if I could install something else on it, connect it to my computer with the USB cable, and use it as a way of accessing the network.

EDIT: I moved this topic to the Phreaking section of the forums, it seems more related to that than General Hacking.

#4 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:57 PM

Another thing which may be useful: My contract ends in like two months, and I'm going to buy a new phone with the new contract. My current phone is a Motorola RAZR V3C, which seems to have its own website dedicated to hacking it. I have no idea if I could install something else on it, connect it to my computer with the USB cable, and use it as a way of accessing the network.

EDIT: I moved this topic to the Phreaking section of the forums, it seems more related to that than General Hacking.

yeah you could probably make it share the internet like most smartphones but not to sure about sniffing out the network or anything it would probably be possible it would just be different ports and different network protocols. as far as i know it would probably just show tons and tons of dev's connected to one wifi basically anything deeper than that i wouldnt really be able to guess i mean they could have toweres connected with lan or even towers with high powered wlan's just mirroring siginal from other towers, get it direct from satelite, mabey all connect to one main hub.

#5 SUB-S0NIX

SUB-S0NIX

!Pee-Wee Pimpin!

• Members
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:48 AM

Sorry I don't remember the site, but I do remember reading that some providers allowed certain traffic to be tunneled through their network, such as DNS. I've always wanted to look into this but I'm a bit afraid of being tracked down by teh almighty ATnT.

#6 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:34 AM

http://www.globaltravellersim.com/ you could get sommething like that then you wouldnt have to worry about atnt, ive asked about it before here but no one cared/knew about any of them but i think theres "root" keycodes because they work at everytower and atnt isnt gonna let ppl sell 10c a min call anyone in the world so they must have actually unlocked the sims i guess

Edited by dinscurge, 27 March 2009 - 01:37 AM.

#7 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 08:15 AM

http://www.globaltravellersim.com/ you could get sommething like that then you wouldnt have to worry about atnt, ive asked about it before here but no one cared/knew about any of them but i think theres "root" keycodes because they work at everytower and atnt isnt gonna let ppl sell 10c a min call anyone in the world so they must have actually unlocked the sims i guess

The problem with that is that my cellphone provider does not even use SIM cards :(

#8 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:06 PM

The problem with that is that my cellphone provider does not even use SIM cards :(

really? what do they use? never heard of some one not using them, wonder how they get auth.

Edited by dinscurge, 27 March 2009 - 12:06 PM.

#9 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:59 PM

really? what do they use? never heard of some one not using them, wonder how they get auth.

No idea, somewhere else in the phone, but I am sure about that: no SIM.

#10 dmine45

dmine45

Mack Daddy 31337

• Members
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:17 PM

CDMA providers (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, Cricket, MetroPCS) don't use SIMs. GSM providers (AT&T, T-Mobile) and iDen (Nextel) use SIMs.

Edited by dmine45, 27 March 2009 - 02:17 PM.

#11 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:26 AM

well then id go for working with gsm then as their network is faster because cdma2000 only has 3g like the iphone so its just double the speed of edge 2.5g instead of the full 3.5g 2.8mbps think they have like 12 some mbps now on tmobile-germany, but whichever you can do will work it would probably just be easyer with sim as if you were to flash the rom in your phone or something you wouldn't have to worry about messing up the auth. as it isnt provided by the phone itself,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000 some interesting stuff about using multiple connections/carriers too boost speed.

#12 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• 2,440 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:05 AM

CDMA providers (Verizon, Sprint, Alltel, Cricket, MetroPCS) don't use SIMs. GSM providers (AT&T, T-Mobile) and iDen (Nextel) use SIMs.

Although a common practise for CDMA carriers like Bell Mobility is to provide hybrid phones. When in range of their own network, they use CDMA/EVDO. When the phones are roaming, they use the SIM card in the phone to hook onto a GSM/GPRS network.

Edited by Seal, 28 March 2009 - 11:06 AM.

#13 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• 2,440 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

well then id go for working with gsm then as their network is faster because cdma2000 only has 3g like the iphone so its just double the speed of edge 2.5g instead of the full 3.5g 2.8mbps think they have like 12 some mbps now on tmobile-germany, but whichever you can do will work it would probably just be easyer with sim as if you were to flash the rom in your phone or something you wouldn't have to worry about messing up the auth. as it isnt provided by the phone itself,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDMA2000 some interesting stuff about using multiple connections/carriers too boost speed.

Reading these posts hurts my brain.

#14 G-Brain

G-Brain

mad 1337

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 12:08 PM

You talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

#15 dinscurge

dinscurge

• Members
  • 941 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:40 PM

theres 3g networks like atnt which are amazingly fast at around 288mbps, or beyond 3g suchs as 3.5g tmobile at 9-15x faster than atnt network but they just call it 3g as it stops confision of 3 and 1/2 g which is beyond 3g so technicly 4g but it is not full speed 4g its not wimax 100mbps its only like 13mbps. and it was interesting to see wiki. stating that you could connect to multiple towers with cdma to get faster speeds.

#16 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 09:20 PM

I'm beginning to read more about this, and I'd like to know if I can buy one of these PCMIA or USB adapters that some cellphone providers sell to access the internet using their network from your laptop, and start exploring how the network looks like. I was thinking mostly of using my laptop as my "cellphone" just for the fun of it. My cellphone provider is Telus and it uses both CDMA and EVDO (EVDO not being available everywhere in Quebec, but it is almost everywhere where I live). I'm not sure if Telus sells adapters for computers, but I can see there are a couple of very cheap ones on ebay from Alltel, for CDMA & EVDO. Does it really change something, or can I buy one from a different cellphone provider, as long as it supports the same type of network? Is there any particular card I should take a look at? Thanks.

You'll need to purchase a universal adapter.
Make sure you have an unlimited data plan, I've seen friends end up with 500dollar bills because they didn't monitor their data usage.

#17 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

You talk like a fag, and your shit's all retarded.

Gratuitous comments like this are not welcome. First, you obviously do not know Seal well enough to say things like this, he's an awesome and well respected member and has been here for much longer than you. Second, you did not even justify your silly comment. If you have nothing interesting to say, then simply do not post.

However, I agree that if dinscurge took more time to write more coherent sentences it would make it easier to read, because it is hard to read and understand correctly.

#18 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:53 AM

Make sure you have an unlimited data plan, I've seen friends end up with 500dollar bills because they didn't monitor their data usage.

Are the adapters made by cellphone companies lock to their companies, and is it possible to unlock them if they are locked? What are the technical limitations to buying one from another company?

There's this one which is dirt cheap on eBay.

I want to take a look at the universal adapters you're talking about, do you have any model name in mind?

P.S.: I want to use my laptop as a phone, using the service I have with my real cellphone. I would maybe consider buying a data plan later, and I will be cautious not to use the internet connection provided by my cellphone provider, they charge atrocious prices.

dinscurge: My cellphone provider has a mixed CMDA and EVDO network, other companies that use GSM networks are more expensive here. I don't necessarily care about the network speed, I mostly care about accessing the network as if I was my phone, but using my laptop.

#19 R4p1d

R4p1d

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 04:03 PM

Are the adapters made by cellphone companies lock to their companies, and is it possible to unlock them if they are locked? What are the technical limitations to buying one from another company?

There's this one which is dirt cheap on eBay.

I want to take a look at the universal adapters you're talking about, do you have any model name in mind?

P.S.: I want to use my laptop as a phone, using the service I have with my real cellphone. I would maybe consider buying a data plan later, and I will be cautious not to use the internet connection provided by my cellphone provider, they charge atrocious prices.

dinscurge: My cellphone provider has a mixed CMDA and EVDO network, other companies that use GSM networks are more expensive here. I don't necessarily care about the network speed, I mostly care about accessing the network as if I was my phone, but using my laptop.

Just as long as the card isn't made by an actual cellular provider, I think you should be fine, look at some of these cards; http://www.ec21.com/...vdo_pcmcia.html

#20 G-Brain

G-Brain

mad 1337

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:14 AM

Gratuitous comments like this are not welcome. First, you obviously do not know Seal well enough to say things like this, he's an awesome and well respected member and has been here for much longer than you. Second, you did not even justify your silly comment. If you have nothing interesting to say, then simply do not post.

However, I agree that if dinscurge took more time to write more coherent sentences it would make it easier to read, because it is hard to read and understand correctly.

It was a movie reference.

Edited by G-Brain, 30 March 2009 - 12:14 AM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!