• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:08 PM

I'm writing this in here because it's kind of spammy, and for some of you, it's the second time you've seen a thread about this. So I wrote a book called Rice Tea. This is my latest creative endeavour, a 174 page novel about a group of hackers. It started off as a spiritual remake of Hackers, but then became much more. And like every other project I've done, you can download it free from the website. People who really like it can also donate, or buy a paperback version.

Posted Image

Now that I've produced this, I'm trying to get the message out there that it exists. I posted it up on Reddit, with mild success. I tried Digg, but that didn't go so well. Haven't even tried Slashdot, and don't think I could without it getting instantly rejected. So I have this free product - how do I get it out there? How do I get people to know it exists?

Any ideas? Any help here would be most appreciated.

#2 Aghaster

Aghaster

The Frenchman

• 2,093 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:03 AM

To Binrevers: It really looks damn interesting and is definitely worth your time. I suggest you all take a look and also talk about it to your friends: this kind of work is very interesting to anybody familiar with the hacking community. Such great work deserves to be known. :voteyes:

#3 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:59 AM

Damn Lulu, $11 for a paperback book. They make really good stuff though. I ordered a copy ;)

To promote things, I usually just stick it on reddit and pray. Sometimes it pans out. However, I'm usually on the other end of the promotion. Get people to review it. Get people whose websites have traffic to review the book. This usually involves sending out free copies of the book though, which doesn't really mix with on-demand publishing. Large publishers, on the other hand, have many copies on hand for this purpose. So you're really at a disadvantage there.

#4 SchippStrich

SchippStrich

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:56 PM

I will order a copy when I get a few bucks.

#5 hrddrv

hrddrv

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:28 PM

Not that I have a lot of FB friends but I will post the link on FB if you would like. I read the first few pages and like it so far. I will try and buy it when my taxes come in,

#6 Swerve

Swerve

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 809 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:25 PM

Amazing job Seal, hope this latest endeavor brings you all the success in the world mate.

Is it going to be for sale on Amazon or anything do you know?

#7 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• 2,440 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:14 PM

Amazing job Seal, hope this latest endeavor brings you all the success in the world mate.

Is it going to be for sale on Amazon or anything do you know?

Thanks all :)

Nah, it's not going to be on Amazon. For all intents and purposes, I'm self-publishing this. And while some POD (print on demand) services like Lulu offer the means to get on sites like Amazon, I don't like what I have to give up in order to make that happen. So for now, my website, and this word of mouth, is all there is. So yeah for sure - if its relevant, post it on sites like Facebook.

#8 WhatChout

WhatChout

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

After noticing being mentioned I made a Massimo D'Alema-like face for a while. Congratulations on having enough patience to write a book.

#9 jabzor

jabzor

hax?

• 1,146 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:44 PM

I finally got around to reading it .. go night shift; 12 hours of microwave radio t1 links bouncing, eigrp/ospf/bgp repeering, scheduling line circuit tests and angry clients bitching about Cisco RMA entitlement issues. :roll: :lol:

--------

Rice Tea is an enjoyable retelling of the 1995 Hackers film, updated for a new generation and without any colorful Gibsons to haxor.
The characters are believable, well portrayed, and the situation they find themselves in is not an inconceivable one.
Seth, Kirstin and the rest of the Digital Losers are a likable lot, but I especially enjoyed the way the character of Jinks is dealt with.

Inreferences to several online communities, personas and actual events make for a truer story and a tip of the hat to an informed reader.
The novel is reminiscent of the Stealing the Network series, and can viewed as an introductory prequel.
Julien McArdles latest work is something I would recommend to anyone remotely interested in what it is we do.

I would have liked a longer and more technical read, but that might clash with the more the general audience appeal Seal is after.
You might though want to take a cue from Syngress, and include a few screenshots, command-outputs and diagrams to further enhance the atmosphere.

It is a shame your friend didn't get a chance to see the finished product.
Also sucks that your Docks movie fell through; though this does read as a screenplay though.. I'm just saying.

Overall, great work, congratulations and I hope you will continue to get something out of it.

:)

--------

{ side-note: damn the new Syngress-Elsevier site is inferior to the old Syngress.com site. }

Edited by jabzor, 11 April 2009 - 04:58 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!