• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cryptik Hex

Cryptik Hex

elite

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

First off, what's up guys! Now, I have an HP Pavilion DV1660se laptop, and it has an Intel Media Accelerator 950 graphics card, and I have no idea if this will ever work with Slackware. I really want to get a dual boot using slack and ubuntu so I can have a "media" style install with ubuntu, and a "hardcore" learning distro with slack (best of both worlds, without having to succumb to microsoft). I have looked on google a bit, and although I like to see myself as not a complete noob, and I have gotten very good with slackware in the past, I would really appreciate some help with this video card so I can learn some more. :D

#2 systems_glitch

systems_glitch

Dangerous free thinker

• Moderating Team
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:08 PM

This isn't so much an issue with Slackware as it is an Xorg/kernel issue. Are you going for an accelerated X environment only? If so, there should be existing Intel drivers with the current release of Slackware to support the Intel 950. Depending on the version of Xorg they're using, it'll be either the "i810" or the "intel" xorg driver, which you'll need to change in /etc/X11/xorg.conf. There should be quite a few guides out there to doing that -- it's not Slackware-specific.

Why bother dual-booting for media functionality between two different versions of the same thing? The only big difference you're going to encounter between Slackware and Ubuntu is a lack of GUIs for everything, and a difference in package management. Other differences in Slackware, like a preference for a BSD-like runlevel system, as opposed to the System V style used by most other distros, aren't as big a deal for end users (besides, Slackware maintains compatibility for System V...personally, I prefer the BSD style system).

If you already have a working Ubuntu install, and are considering the Slackware install as a secondary boot, you might want to do it under a virtual machine, if it's only for learning. If you're not taking advantage of the graphics hardware in your machine anyway, you probably won't notice much performance loss.

EDIT: oh, and as far as kernel framebuffer support, there's several neat workarounds for allowing some unusual resolutions with the GMA 950 -- the Acer Aspire One uses the 950, so I've had personal experience with that. If you're expecting suspend/hibernate to properly work, I'd forgo anything other than just regular old VESA framebuffer in the console though -- I had trouble getting it to restore, no matter how many command line switches I used with pm-hibernate/pm-suspend.

Edited by systems_glitch, 25 February 2009 - 11:11 PM.

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!