• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 opposite

opposite

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 12:23 PM

Im trying to spread this document around so it doesn't go to waste.

www.opposite225.com/ID/defcon-16-farre.pdf

I presented it at Defcon last year. Let me know what you think.

#2 Meman5150

Meman5150

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:34 PM

Good reading. Although, I don't know how I missed this at defcon.

#3 snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:39 PM

Very good read.

My only suggestions are that the prices for the equipment required are a little inflated. Also, there's a way to do holograms by printing the images onto transparency sheets and using whatever powders you choose. It's incredibly cheap and produces fantastic results.

Pictures looked great; seems like you really did your research. Thanks for sharing.

#4 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

How about some more useful, everyday information such as how to spot a fake ID?

In the same vein, anyone know how to spot fake bills? There's some counterfeit money around, thought I might check mine.

#5 Enmaku

Enmaku

SUP3R 31337

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:17 PM

In the same vein, anyone know how to spot fake bills? There's some counterfeit money around, thought I might check mine.

With most of the fake IDs I've seen, the lamination is pretty poorly done. Maybe doesn't apply to every ID in every state, but half the fakes I've seen in Nevada the laminate doesn't go all the way to the edges.

As for fake bills, your fingers are your best bet. There's lots of technology to detect them visually, UV lights and such. There's also machines to detect the MICR ink on the front of the bill. Failing such technologies, though, it is almost impossible to fake the texture of a bill. The unique paper they're printed on, the raised MICR ink on the front, it all creates a very unique texture that's difficult to reproduce. There's also a particular smell to a US bill - new ones at least - that's difficult to reproduce. I wouldn't advise sniffing bills though given how absurdly dirty the average bill is. It'll also probably net you some funny looks.

#6 thepcdude

thepcdude

SUPR3M3 31337 Mack Daddy P1MP

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:33 PM

With most of the fake IDs I've seen, the lamination is pretty poorly done. Maybe doesn't apply to every ID in every state, but half the fakes I've seen in Nevada the laminate doesn't go all the way to the edges.

As for fake bills, your fingers are your best bet. There's lots of technology to detect them visually, UV lights and such. There's also machines to detect the MICR ink on the front of the bill. Failing such technologies, though, it is almost impossible to fake the texture of a bill. The unique paper they're printed on, the raised MICR ink on the front, it all creates a very unique texture that's difficult to reproduce. There's also a particular smell to a US bill - new ones at least - that's difficult to reproduce. I wouldn't advise sniffing bills though given how absurdly dirty the average bill is. It'll also probably net you some funny looks.

As far as I know, this dollar bill is the only bill this doesn't work on
-Scratch the President's threads. Yeah. Scratch his snazzy threads. If you feel bumps/seration it's real.

#7 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

Some liquor stores here in Chicago have ID card mag stripe readers installed to thwart buyers with fake IDs.

#8 Ohm

Ohm

I could have written a book with all of these posts

• Members
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:00 PM

Some liquor stores here in Chicago have ID card mag stripe readers installed to thwart buyers with fake IDs.

Do they communicate with a centralized database or something? Otherwise, any old fake data would work.

The communication itself is probably a bad idea. How many of these places operate on insecure networks? It probably wouldn't be that hard to pick up some valid data and program your own cards.

#9 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:42 PM

Do they communicate with a centralized database or something? Otherwise, any old fake data would work.

The communication itself is probably a bad idea. How many of these places operate on insecure networks? It probably wouldn't be that hard to pick up some valid data and program your own cards.

I don't know. Maybe the machine is programmed to recognize various states' ID card data? I think it does store the ID card info in some kind of database.

#10 opposite

opposite

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 06:58 PM

Here is a copy of the actual presentation in audio format.. (.mp3.mp3 format is the best lol)

You guys are being really silly about this central database stuff. The only reason they would put the in information in a database from a liqure store would be for commercial purposes.

And the magstripe readers only read the birth date on the magstripe! I wont belive for a damn second that liquor stores are connecting to a state database (i dont care what state) to prove legal age and identity. Ill pay 100 for someone to prove me wrong. Secondly, even if that was the case all you would have to do is encode real information from someone else, most magstripe readers in stores don't output the name thats encoded, just the date!

to snakesonaplane who wrote " My only suggestions are that the prices for the equipment required are a little inflated. Also, there's a way to do holograms by printing the images onto transparency sheets and using whatever powders you choose. It's incredibly cheap and produces fantastic results. "

Please tell? We are all ears, I am dieing to hear! My prices may be inflated but only because i used the best stuff i could find, and because it produced the most fantastic, stunning, blow your mind results. Anyways thanks for the kind words :)

#11 Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic

Hakker addict

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 08:06 PM

You guys are being really silly about this central database stuff. The only reason they would put the in information in a database from a liqure store would be for commercial purposes.

Yeah that's what I figured, they'd have it on file for marketing purposes, or maybe as an evidence record in case the cops try to bust them for serving to a minor.

And the magstripe readers only read the birth date on the magstripe! I wont belive for a damn second that liquor stores are connecting to a state database (i dont care what state) to prove legal age and identity. Ill pay 100 for someone to prove me wrong. Secondly, even if that was the case all you would have to do is encode real information from someone else, most magstripe readers in stores don't output the name thats encoded, just the date!

How do you know this? Which systems have you tested/analyzed for this?

#12 opposite

opposite

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

Search any of these on a search engine: "ID SCANNER, ID VERIFIER, AGE VERIFIER, DRIVER LICENSE READER, AGE VERIFICATION,or ID READER."

Most output date only. There may be a few that output the name also, here is how you fix that: You use all your original information on the mag stripe, just upgrade the date. Many upscale cash registers are AAMVA approved to read any US DL with a magstripe for age verification, but they are shipped programed to only output the date.

From lots of research on the Real ID Act has informed me about gov databases (an the lack there of) in relation to drivers licenses linked to public verification use.

#13 Seal

Seal

Not a fan of clubs.

• Agents of the Revolution
  • 2,440 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

The fake IDs we have are actually all real IDs passed on by friends that kind of look the same. The best way to spot an illegitimate ID is to check the expiry. If it's expired, and its questionable as to whether the person on front of you looks like the person on the ID, then it could very well be fake. There doesn't appear to be any business in manufacturing them here.

Edited by Seal, 11 February 2009 - 10:42 PM.

#14 snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 09:37 PM

to snakesonaplane who wrote " My only suggestions are that the prices for the equipment required are a little inflated. Also, there's a way to do holograms by printing the images onto transparency sheets and using whatever powders you choose. It's incredibly cheap and produces fantastic results. "

Please tell? We are all ears, I am dieing to hear! My prices may be inflated but only because i used the best stuff i could find, and because it produced the most fantastic, stunning, blow your mind results. Anyways thanks for the kind words :)

You would be quite correct about the readers not doing anything but verifying the tracks of the stripe. These readers are not terribly common because not too many states use magstripes. The other type of reader is a barcode scanner that reads the PDF417 barcodes seen on most state id's. These are usually purchased by store owners to protect their liquor licenses. In fact, some stores are so reliant on their scanners that they'll accept crappy looking id's as long as they scan. They hardly thwart fake id's, though. Creating a scanning pdf417 barcode/magstripe takes mere seconds if you have the right software.

As far as the other hologram method goes, it's referred to as the "thermal transfer" technique. Basically what you do is create a printout sheet with your hologram images (just like you did to fit multiple cards on the teslin) and print it at a lower opacity onto transparency sheets. Then, while the ink is still wet, you dump your pearlex onto the sheet and cover all of the print with it. It will stick to the wet ink and dry there. After, pour the excess pearlex back and dust gently with a fine brush. Some people use canned air as well...I've even heard of some using silly putty to lift the excess pearlex. After that's done, cut out an appropriate portion of the transparency, stick it in a lam pouch face up, and run it through. The hologram will magically transfer to the pouch. Then all you have to do is continue with your normal process of sticking the teslin in and diecutting, etc.

The hardest part is removing the excess pearlex, but it's really not that bad. Certainly cheaper and easier than dealing with an Alps, IMO. It also still looks really good.

Ohm:

That would be the infamous "Bar Book," but I believe you need to prove ownership of a liquor-serving business to obtain one. Like all information you're not supposed to have, it's online somewhere. Most experienced bouncers know the "tricks of the trade" and where to look on which state id's for stuff like UV, microprint.

For those of you with an interest in these pdf417 barcodes, there's a free java program that will read them. Just scan it in at a high DPI and run it through.

Get it hurrr.

Edited by snakesonaplane, 11 February 2009 - 09:39 PM.

#15 opposite

opposite

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:14 PM

That is very, very interesting. So basically what your saying is you take sheet of laminate, and print your hologram text on it with an ink jet. Then while the ink is wet you drizzle the powder, clean it off after it drys, then pass the transparency with a piece of teslin through the laminator to make the transfer. Then go about normal business'? Sounds pretty sweet i have to say.

Am i correct in my process?

#16 duper

duper

Dangerous free thinker

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:43 AM

There was a Fake ID presentation at The Last Hope last summer as well.

Not too long ago, a FOAF got raided by the State Police for making fake driver's licenses with an ID printer taken from his work site.

#17 oblivion

oblivion

I have the Phreak Phactor

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:48 AM

quite nice!!! ;)

#18 opposite

opposite

Will I break 10 posts?

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:17 AM

@duper: "There was a Fake ID presentation at The Last Hope last summer as well."

It was the same presentation that was made at Defcon 16

#19 snakesonaplane

snakesonaplane

SUP3R 31337 P1MP

• Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:57 AM

That is very, very interesting. So basically what your saying is you take sheet of laminate, and print your hologram text on it with an ink jet. Then while the ink is wet you drizzle the powder, clean it off after it drys, then pass the transparency with a piece of teslin through the laminator to make the transfer. Then go about normal business'? Sounds pretty sweet i have to say.

Am i correct in my process?

Yes, only you laminate the transparency with the hologram to the pouch -- not the teslin. After, you just peel it off and your pouch is ready to go. Just stick your teslin in and laminate again.

#20 Utah_Viper

Utah_Viper

H4x0r

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 04:53 PM

Here is a copy of the actual presentation in audio format.. (.mp3.mp3 format is the best lol)

they actually were proposing just such Orwellian tactics in Utah this year. luckily there was much outrage and the bill was shot down.

http://www.ksl.com/i...148&sid=5507791

BinRev is hosted by the great people at Lunarpages!